Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Connect Wii to wireless without internet connection

Posted by Chudson123 
Connect Wii to wireless without internet connection
September 09, 2009 08:17AM
Hi Guys,

This is maybe an odd request, but I am desperatly trying to connect my Wii to my wireless network (for media streaming to the Wii) but I dont have an internet connection at home. Everytime I try to connect the Wii, I can see that the router allocates an IP to it, but then it drops the connection as there is no active internet connection.

Is there a way to make it stay connected to the wireless without an internet connection??

Cheers for your help

Chudson
Re: Connect Wii to wireless without internet connection
September 09, 2009 02:31PM
I dont quite understand but, what would be the point of keeping the wii connected to no internet?
September 10, 2009 12:45AM
Which way are you going to use to stream your media?

When you open the homebrew channel... is it able to get, and stay, in touch with the router even if there's no internet? (I would test that by myself but my sisters are using it so I can't)

Have a nice day!
Aruskano
September 11, 2009 02:58AM
I kind of have the same problem. For me it's a router problem. It connects and then it fails. The error messege on the screen usually says somthing along the lines of "Connected to the acces point but failed to connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi". I dont know what else to say, but you could try resetting the router to see if that works :)
September 12, 2009 02:03AM
These are different problems, he said he doesn't have an internet connection so I find obvious he didn't expect to connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi. There are other networks besides internet, menz!

By the way, he didn't answer back so I hope he found the answer.

Have a nice day!
Aruskano

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2009 02:03AM by Aruskano.
September 13, 2009 01:29AM
Hopefully :) I just re-read the question. I'd have to agree with TopGun96, why would you want to stay connected without internet. I don't believe there are any hacks you can do via a wireless router. But to answer his original question "Is there a way to make it stay connected to the wireless without an internet connection??", i believe the answer is no.
September 13, 2009 02:35AM
I'd have to agree with TopGun96, why would you want to stay connected without internet.

Uhhh for the exact reason he said...

for media streaming to the Wii

you don't need the internet to do a bunch of stuff on the wii.. wiiload, ftpii, and for the reason he asked

i believe the answer is no.

of course you can.

He's not trying to connect it to the INTERNET... he's trying to connect it to his NETWORK.

my guess is since he didn't respond, he got it fixed... or he hasn't made his way back to an internet connection to reply :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2009 02:35AM by mdbrim.
September 13, 2009 02:48AM
I understand now... you dont need internet to have a network and you can do what he wants.

mdbrim
or he hasn't made his way back to an internet connection to reply :D

lol
September 13, 2009 04:22AM
wait.... so your saying that even if he doesnt have an internet connection, he can still do data transfers over and FTP server?
September 13, 2009 07:26AM
yeah, you don't need to be connected to the internet to data transfer wirelessly from your wii to your pc.

ftpii doesn't connect to an internet ftp server, it turns the wii INTO an ftp server and then you connect to it from your pc.

and wiiload talks directly from the pc to the wii.

No internet needed.
September 13, 2009 08:17AM
Alright, so it's possible but I'm not sure if there's an app out there that can handle this (mostly because I don't know exactly what he wants). Anyone?

Let's see if he comes back...

mdbrim
my guess is since he didn't respond, he got it fixed... or he hasn't made his way back to an internet connection to reply :D
hahaha XD
September 13, 2009 07:53PM
I believe Mplayer CE will do that... might be wrong though
September 14, 2009 10:09AM
Hi Guys,

Sorry I didnt get back sooner, Havent got internet at home, had to wait till i got back to work.

I am trying to use MPlayer CE to access a network share on my PC. When i select 'Network share 1' (as the network addresses are configured in a config file for MPlayer CE) its comes back with the error Network unavailable (or something close to that)

I'm not sure how to check if the HB channel stays connected to the router but i guess that it doesnt. As in the Wii system menu it wont stay connected to the router.

Any recommendations??

Cheers
September 15, 2009 11:59AM
I've had an idea, if someone could test it out for me.

What if i took my router an Wii to a friends house. Setup my router to connect to the internet, then connect the Wii to the router, which will (hopefully) connect as it will have an internet connection. Then disconnect the internet from the router. Will then the Wii stay connected to the router after the internet connection has gone????

If somebody could unplug their internet from the their router and check if the Wii still holds the connection between them.

Many Thanks in advance
September 15, 2009 05:01PM
The connection settings will remain, yes. You will be able to reconnect without setting up.
September 16, 2009 03:04AM
September 16, 2009 09:54AM
I will give this a try tonight.

Thanks guys
September 21, 2009 08:59AM
Hurrrah!!

I am now connected to my internal network permantly! W00p!

I used MPlayer Ce to steam some video files all work fine.

Can anybody recommend an app to do music. Mplaye CE just plays one track then stops (then you have to select the next track) and i really cant be bothered creating a playlist for every album in my collection.
September 21, 2009 09:11AM
I was about to bump this thread this morning! Good to hear those good news! So the method you said you were going to use worked fine? (I'm kind of interested in this too).

I use DragonMedia Player to play music (I don't use Mplayer CE because of the reason you already stated) but it doesn't currently support SMB (it's on the TODO list but the app hasn't been updated in a while or so the wiki says). I did a fast search and didn't find an app that suits your needings (just in case you are looking for one with a way to stream your files throught your network), sorry.

Going to sleep now,
Aruskano
September 22, 2009 04:41PM
Yeah that method worked. Connected to my router when it was on the internet, then removed internet connection and went home. And it still connects to the router everytime.

I would love it if someone could get XBMC on the Wii. XBMC works so well on my original (very modded) xbox. But i dont like too much clutter around my tv. Just the sleek Wii not the big clunky xbox.

Until someone does that (if they ever do) i will have to make some playlists for MPlayer CE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login