Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Starting the HomeBrew Channel

Posted by WiiBrewHelpMe 
Starting the HomeBrew Channel
September 10, 2009 03:58AM
When I open up HomeBrew channel and press start, this screen of popable bubbles pop up and nothing else. When I press 1+2 it opens a score counter at the bottom right corner. So when I press 1+2 again it's the same thing except without the score counter.. I don't see any apps or anything, I can exit by press Home and exit from there but still no aps, plz help me.
Re: Starting the HomeBrew Channel
September 10, 2009 04:07AM
You need to put the apps on yourself. There's a list of them here.

To make them appear on the HBC:

Make a folder on the root of your SD card called 'apps'. In that folder, put whatever app you downloaded inside of it. It should look like this: ROOT:/apps/whateverappyouputhere/boot.dol,meta.xml,icon.png,etc.

Does that make sense? If you need more help, just ask! :D

If i may make a suggestion, so you don't have to download the app from your computer every time you want one, simply get The Homebrew Browser. You can download all the apps you want from here. Good luck!! :)
September 10, 2009 04:19AM
so whats the point of the homebrew? do i just download aps to the "aps" folder and use HomeBrew to launch it? also what does the actual homebrew do lets me download aps? does it let me download games, and whats the DVD player? TY for help :D
September 10, 2009 04:22AM
The homebrew channel launches the apps that you download. There are some games, but not actual wii/vc/wiiware games, because that would be piracy (which isn't supported here).

To play dvds, you'd get the MPlayer CE app (which you could get from the homebrew browser), and install DVDx. DVDx is bundled with the hackmii installer (the loader you used to install the homebrew channel).

Does that make sense?
September 10, 2009 04:26AM
so is the DVDx an ap im supose to put into my app folder? or is it the DVDx i think i downloaded in the beginning when i downloaded HomeBrew?
September 10, 2009 04:29AM
also whats the home brew browser, is that another way to download aps with your computer? [wiibrew.org]
September 10, 2009 04:31AM
DVDx is the one you downloaded in the beginning when you downloaded HomeBrew... its one of the few things that doens't work like the rest of the apps in that you don't put it on your sd card in an apps folder. You would just run the same install you used for the HBC and install it that way.

Yes the homebrew browser gets installed manually on the SD card... then you can run it from the Home brew channel and download apps thru a neat and clean menu and it'll put all the stuff in the right place for you.
September 10, 2009 04:34AM
so the homebrew browser will just replace my computer and sd card?
September 10, 2009 04:35AM
and when i download the homebrew browser ill be able to download all the stuff on here?[wiibrew.org]
September 10, 2009 04:42AM
so should the homebrew browser be the first thing and only thing i need to download into my SD card? and if yes, could u give me a lilttle tutorial how to download homebrew browser? because i dont wanna download one ap after another into my SD card.
September 10, 2009 04:50AM
lol, i just told you. :P

I'll tell you again:

Download the homebrew browser. Its on the right side of the page, and it says "download".
After its downloaded, unzip it and put the folder in the apps folder that you create on the root of your SD card.
Stick the SD card in your wii.
Launch the HBC
It should appear

If it doesn't, that means you did something wrong. Ask if you need more help. :)
September 10, 2009 04:52AM
so if i would go to my computer, local disk, SD card, what would be in there? (folders, etc)
September 10, 2009 04:53AM
it will replace your computer, but you'll still need the sd card in the wii (that's where the apps and browser would be, and where it'll put your apps you download)

Not ALL of the stuff, but MOST of it. You'll notice if you check out each apps wiibrew page it will tell you if it is available thru the HB browser.

Sure:

1. Download the HBB using the download link here
2. Open up that zip file and put the homebrew_browser folder in your apps folder (which should be in the root of your sd card...) So it should be SD:\apps\homebrew_browser\

3. Put SD card in your wii
4 Throw away your computer.
5. Load up the homebrew channel
6. click on the homebrew browser icon
7 Surf and Download away!
8 exit back to the homebrew channel and all the apps you downlaod will show up.

NOTE: step 4 is optional!
September 10, 2009 04:54AM
My computer -> SD card -> apps -> homebrew_browser -> boot.dol, icon.png, loops.mod, meta.xml, settings.xml

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2009 04:55AM by mdbrim.
September 10, 2009 04:55AM
WiiBrewHelpMe
so if i would go to my computer, local disk, SD card, what would be in there? (folders, etc)
Right click on the empty space inside your SD card, and click on new folder. Once it comes up, name it apps. Then put the homebrew browser in the apps folder.

Edit: Sorry for being kind of snippy. I'm just slightly tired/impatient right now. I need to try harder. :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2009 05:00AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 10, 2009 04:56AM
I hear ya Waxy... happens to the best of us :D

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2009 05:07AM by mdbrim.
September 10, 2009 05:02AM
on the list of aps i saw Alarmii, with the homebrew browser i could download it from there right?
instead of copying and pasting and running to my wii putting the Sd card?
September 10, 2009 05:08AM
yes you can... it says "Downloadable via the Homebrew Browser" on the right so you're good to go!
September 13, 2009 06:54PM
But in order to download via the Homebrew browser, you have to have an internet connection to the wii. I dont think you said if you had one for sure, but if you don't you will have to download them and put the apps on the SD card via computer
September 22, 2009 10:37AM
okay...so i see that you all have gone over this several times now for people to understand...and i do. but there is something still missing from this picture. i have followed all of these steps 4 times now and still have a blank blue bubble homebrew channel screen with no homebrew browser icon. do i need the read me text folder in the apps file on the card or only the hbb folder? i have treid everything including resetting my wii. i don't understand what else could be the problem. plz help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login