Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

For those of you who are unsure about updating...

Posted by nintendude 
For those of you who are unsure about updating...
November 15, 2009 07:12PM
I updated my Wii to 4.2U about 2 weeks ago and I haven't had any problems with anything. Make sure that you updated HBC to the latest version (which I believe is 1.0.6). The whole reason of why I posted this is because I wanted to give reassurance to those of you who are wanting to update, but are nervous and unsure about doing so (that was me 2 weeks ago). I think that the only REAL risk of bricking your Wii is if you unplug the power while its updating (which who in their right mind would do that anyway?!).
Re: For those of you who are unsure about updating...
November 15, 2009 07:19PM
nintendude
I updated my Wii to 4.2U about 2 weeks ago and I haven't had any problems with anything. Make sure that you updated HBC to the latest version (which I believe is 1.0.6). The whole reason of why I posted this is because I wanted to give reassurance to those of you who are wanting to update, but are nervous and unsure about doing so (that was me 2 weeks ago). I think that the only REAL risk of bricking your Wii is if you unplug the power while its updating (which who in their right mind would do that anyway?!).
However the Boot2 update code IS supposed to be buggy
November 15, 2009 07:28PM
metroid_maniac
nintendude
However the Boot2 update code IS supposed to be buggy

However, there is no evidence that it bricks things.
November 15, 2009 11:41PM
I, too, was paranoid, but I didn't want to keep patching and using updaters.
I kept reading these forums and there was a lot of helpful advice, but there seems to be varying opinions concerning the use of "updaters" and "patches".

So I just updated to 4.2U via Nintedno this morning and life's just fine with me.

All I had was HBC (no bootmii, preloader, etc.) Having the new HBC 1.0.6 prior to updating insures it will still be there after the system update.

No bricking here.

I think most of the bricks were users with changed region coded consoles (Korean consoles in particular), users with very sophicated soft mods, and/or they were updated on the day the update was released when possibly Nintendo's servers were maxed out, maybe resulting is some data transfer issues.

Of course, there's your own house power and internet connection potential issues, but not anymore of an issue than previous updates.

All is right with my world now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2009 03:37AM by radiohead.
November 16, 2009 10:30AM
Thanks for posting that I was really worried about 4.2 for those of us only using hombrew for legal things like the the games, emulators (slightly illegal! I Know but I only use NES and Master System hardly profitable anymore!!) and Gecko for cheat codes, its a relief! is the only risk if you want to play backups then??? I dont believe in doing that anyway.
November 19, 2009 07:04AM
No problem! I'm always glad to ease the nerves of others who are nervous about upadates as I was. I thought to myself "Screw using alternate methods to get past the official update just so I can use basic things like the Wii Shop Channel!". As for backups, I don't know anything about that, other than the fact that I think we can't talk about them here... >_>
November 19, 2009 12:59PM
Yeah. Stuff like that often doesn't work after an update because you practically have to mutilate your Wii to get it to work.
November 19, 2009 05:35PM
Thanks for the reassurance. :)

I'm tempted to update also, wanna download the new contra on wiiware.

I have HC 1.0.6 installed and bootmii, so if i update to 4.2E, all it will do is erase bootmii and update boot 2 to 2.4, but the homebrew channel will still be there and all emulators will work, am i right?

Just to clarify before i do it.
November 19, 2009 10:35PM
Myrmidon83
Thanks for the reassurance. :)

I'm tempted to update also, wanna download the new contra on wiiware.

I have HC 1.0.6 installed and bootmii, so if i update to 4.2E, all it will do is erase bootmii and update boot 2 to 2.4, but the homebrew channel will still be there and all emulators will work, am i right?

Just to clarify before i do it.
I believe that you are correct. I haven't heard anything different from what you stated as far as "side effects" of updating are concerned...
November 19, 2009 11:24PM
That's right, only BootMii as boot2 (IOS will stay) will be removed, and it can be easily reinstalled after the update.
November 19, 2009 11:58PM
Thank you all. I updated to 4.2E and as expected, homebrew channel works fine along with all emu's.

:)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login