Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Updating to 4.2 w/o deleting patched IOSes?

Posted by Zeke50100 
Updating to 4.2 w/o deleting patched IOSes?
December 30, 2009 03:20AM
I read somewhere that you guys don't necessarily like the word "cIOS", but that's what I mean :/

I'm currently running on the 4.1 System Menu, and I'd like to update to 4.2 so I could play NSMBW without having to use Gecko whenever my cousins are over (They're the ones with the game).

Of course, I also don't want to lose IOS249, because I use it for playing custom song on Guitar Hero (I have a legitimate copy of it, if that's justification enough for you.)

Is there any way to update without having IOS249 deleted? Or am I stupid and the Nintendo update wouldn't even touch it?

And yes, I do have the latest version of HBC. I'll get the latest Hackmii on my SD card just in case, though. (I don't have computer access to an SD card, which is why I'd need it on SD first =/)

I probably won't update at all, actually, just because I'm paranoid about this stuff. If I lost Homebrew, I wouldn't be able to get it back. I'm just curious and looking at my options.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 03:20AM by Zeke50100.
Re: Updating to 4.2 w/o deleting patched IOSes?
December 30, 2009 03:41AM
This'll do the trick: [code.google.com]

cIOS249 isn't necessarily bad depending on what does for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 03:42AM by Arikado.
December 30, 2009 01:26PM
You just need to install IOS70 and System Menu 4.2 for your region. This will leave all other IOS untouched. IOS70 is the only new IOS in 4.2 afaik which isn't a "piracy prevention stub". You can either install WADs of IOS70 and System Menu 4.2 for your region, or you can use dop-IOS MOD to install both over WiFi. Both methods are reasonably safe, but I would advise going for dop-IOS MOD. If you have BootMii as boot2, make a NAND dump before trying anything. Make sure you install IOS70 before the new System Menu.

However, seeing as it is NSMB, you should be perfectly safe to just run the disc update. It has 4.1 on it actually, with a few newer IOS and a boot2 update which overwrites BootMii if installed as boot2, but it can be easily reinstalled. I don't think it will overwrite your cIOS, but if it does, its very easy to get back (just use TBR to get Trucha Bug in IOS36, then run your cIOS installer ;) ). I'd advise just accepting the disc update. I performed the update myself a couple of days ago, it is perfectly safe.
December 30, 2009 05:31PM
Thanks for all the help! I don't have the disc on me (it's at my cousin's XD), so I'll just use Dop-IOS MOD.

Obviously, I'll NAND dump first. Actually, I'll probably NAND dump multiple times, just to be safe (akin to hitting "Save" a million times before closing out of a program)

Is the one from HBB okay, or will I need to grab the v10.1 from Wiibrew?
December 30, 2009 11:15PM
I'd advise using the latest (i.e. v10.1). Also, note that even if you update all IOS and the System Menu, NSMB will still ask to update, as it will want to update boot2. I strongly advise you to wait till your cousin next brings NSMB to your house and run the update from the disc. It takes about 10 seconds, and as long as you dont lose power during those 10 seconds, your Wii will be absolutely fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login