Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Singit Pop Hits - How can i avoid the system update?

Posted by Roofus 
Singit Pop Hits - How can i avoid the system update?
January 14, 2010 11:49PM
Help, is have bought the above game for my daughter for Christmas (Not a dodgy copy) but it is insisting on doing a system update but i dont want to, running 3.2 with no other problems, one very upset girl!

Have used WiiSCU but has not helped, any ideas, is there another IOS I need to update, if so, how?

Thanks

Roofus
Re: Singit Pop Hits - How can i avoid the system update?
January 14, 2010 11:54PM
Try using Gecko, which you can read about at [www.wiibrew.org].
January 14, 2010 11:56PM
If you dont want to update you must either a) use Gecko OS to load the game or b)patch the System Menu via StarFall or Preloader/Priiloader (I'd advise StarFall if you do not already have Preloader/Priiloader as it is less invasive and doesn't change your Wii's operation as much). If you want to be able to load the game via the disc channel with no problems my advice is this:

1. Boot it through Gecko OS once. If it NEEDS a new IOS, Gecko OS will prompt you to install it. Do so if prompted. This step will ensure the game will work
2. Use StarFall to apply the "Skip disc update check" patch.
3. Boot game from disc channel from now on.

If in future you buy a game and when you try to load it it gives a black screen, run it through Gecko OS and allow it to install the necessary IOS.

BTW, there is no real benefit to staying on a lower firmware, however, if it works for you, there's no real need to change it.
January 15, 2010 02:08AM
upgrade your HBC to the latest version so you'll be happy
upgrade your wii to the latest version using the disc, make your daughter happy
all is well!
January 15, 2010 10:45PM
This worked first time, thank you very much, just need some ear plugs and everyone's happy. Will need to try to make loading gceko slightly slicker if possible or will try SifJar's method next although it never asked to do the update in step 1.

Thanks again.

Roofus
January 15, 2010 10:46PM
PS: I cant help but notice 2 mentions of updating wii but Wiibrew states on home page "WiiBrew recommends that you do not update your Wii through Nintendo.", am i missing something here?
January 15, 2010 10:58PM
If Gecko OS doesn't prompt you to install any IOS, then just go ahead and install the StarFall patch if you want to be able to play through disc channel.

And the notices on WiiBrew are because updating can be harmful, but it almost never is. Its more of a safety net so that if a new update comes along, n00bs dont update because "it says on WiiBrew its safe". People may not be available to update WiiBrew instantly if a new harmful update comes along, so some n00bs may update. If it always says don't update, they wont (hopefully). I think this is the reasoning behind those banners anyway...
January 15, 2010 11:29PM
Ok, thanks, but i have a slight problem, i forgot i was on 3.4, not 3.2, i had updated a long time ago. I think this means i cant use Starfall, just exits every time, just when i finally got the +1 +1 business down to a fine art! Is Preloader safe on 3.4?

Thanks

Roofus
January 15, 2010 11:52PM
There are no hacks for 3.4, so it won't work for what you want. You have to either upgrade to 4.X or just run the game through Gecko OS everytime. Sorry.
January 15, 2010 11:55PM
No worries, will look for a Gecko OS channel for version 1.9.3, should be one soon, thanks for all your help

Roofus
January 16, 2010 12:03AM
You can make one with CustomizeMii. There is a legal Gecko OS base downloadable in the app, just replace the dol with the newest one ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login