Yet another New user
January 24, 2010 11:48AM
I've spent the past couple days reading through the forum, and misc FAQS. A few questions, and things that I'd like confirmation on though.
I first looked at hacking my Wii when the Twilight Hack was the only option, but there was a lot of talk about bricked Wiis. It sounds a lot safer now, as long as I don't play around with stuff I don't understand, and read up on everything, before I use it. (That's not really a question so... Is it safer now?)

Haven't downloaded anything yet, so haven't read the detailed instructions yet, but do I have the general idea?
Updated to 4.2, so use bannerbomb. Use Hackmii to install Bootmii and Homebrew channel.
Will also install Homebrew browser (from SD card)

Are there any other downloads/steps that I could/should use to help prevent bricks, or recover after a brick?
Is there a way to tell if apps on the Homebrew browser are safe to use?

That's about it, and thanks in advance for the help! I'm on my way to go through the specific instructions for the things I've mentioned.
Re: Yet another New user
January 24, 2010 02:09PM
Well, its slightly "safer" now because of BootMii I guess, but that doesn't really prevent bricks, it just helps recover from them. In fact, I'd say its more possible to brick now than before, because there are more and more dangerous apps being released all the time. But like you say, if you stay away from stuff you don't understand and read up on everything before using it, you will be fine and not brick.

Make sure you install BootMii as boot2 if you can, as your Wii is quite old you probably will be able to. And make sure you take a NAND dump as soon as you install it and at regular intervals afterwards, to prevent loss of VC/WW games if you brick.

All apps in the default Homebrew Browser repository are safe to use. No dangerous apps are allowed. However, if you swtich to lukegb's repository (not sure how you do this, I think its in the options), there are dangerous apps in it, so be careful.
January 24, 2010 03:10PM
Thanks.
I've finished reading up on the initial install, and it looks simple enough. I'm not sure about the boot2 install, I got it mid-late 2008, so it could go either way.
Good to know about the homebrew browser. Found quite a few good looking apps and games.

One last question though, when I take a NAND dump, can I copy that information to my computer? It looks like it's a single file, so it "should" be no problem...
January 24, 2010 04:12PM
Yes, you can.
January 24, 2010 04:32PM
Although if you can't install as boot2, there is little point in taking a NAND dump. BootMii/IOS Is useless as brick protection, because if you can access BootMii/IOS, there IS a better way to fix your Wii than restoring a NAND dump. BootMii/IOS won't even let you restore a NAND dump without pressing a complicated button combo perfectly on a GameCube controller, because it is quite dangerous, and if you can get to BootMii/IOS, there is a better way to deal with any problems.
January 24, 2010 05:46PM
Thanks. I think I've got it all working now. Small problem with SD card, but the Wii is working.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login