Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting into homebrew now

Posted by WonderKitten 
Getting into homebrew now
February 04, 2010 03:15PM
I've had a Wii for a pretty long time now, but I've never used any homebrew or other unofficial software on it before. I've always updated it, so it's most likely at 4.2 now.

This is a European Wii bought at launch. Is there anything special I should do, or can I just install the homebrew channel/bootmii and not worry about anything legal being incompatible now?
Re: Getting into homebrew now
February 04, 2010 04:39PM
You can go ahead and install the homebrew channel any time you like, however if you're wii system is at 4.2 then you need to install the latest version of it, which will work with 4.2. As for Bootmii. If you're intending to use it for protection it offers then you should know that it doesnt offer much protection at all on 4.2 system menus, as it installs as a IOS. Reason for this is Nintendo overwrote and completely removed the systems boot 2 process, which Bootmii occupies on system menus below 4.2. So Bootmii really has no protective features for you at this stage. The only thing it allows you to do is boot into linux via MINI, or MIKE. You can also use SNEEK with it as well.

Besides you shouldnt worry about things being incompatible if you dont mess with CIOSs (Custom IOS), USB backup launchers, wads, or apps you got no clue about which arent hosted here. If you stick to apps hosted here you shouldnt have any problems at all, and nothing should go wrong with your wii.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2010 04:40PM by nightwishfan1.
Re: Getting into homebrew now
February 04, 2010 07:24PM
Bootmii can be installed as boot2 (therefore providing the best possible brick protection) regardless of your system menu version. The only thing that matters is the boot1 version, which can never be changed. Your wii is old enough that it should have the old boot1, which means you can install Bootmii as boot2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login