Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unable to use codes for VC/Wiiware

Posted by Heatman 
Unable to use codes for VC/Wiiware
March 11, 2010 07:53AM
I'm kinda new to this, I've been using Ocarina to use nifty little codes on my Wii games, and that seems like it requires inserting a disc. I looked around a bit but I can't find how I would go about getting started on using codes for MegaMan 9 and 10. Any help on where to start and what to do would to get myself rolling with codes on those games would be great.
Re: Unable to use codes for VC/Wiiware
March 11, 2010 08:07AM
Yeah, Ocarina is really out-dated. Use Gecko OS instead. Once you load the app, just use the "Launch Channel" option.

You can download codes for your codes for games via MegaCodeDownloader (AFAIK), and you can manage them through Cheat Manager. Feel free to ask more questions if you need to. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 08:08AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
March 11, 2010 08:09AM
use GeckoOS, not Ocarina, Ocarina is outdated
March 11, 2010 05:54PM
Thanks. Yeah, thinking I need some more help. I downloaded all 3 of those things as you suggested and I'm assuming the Gecko1931 folder with everything in it needed to be moved to the apps folder on my SD card, so I did that. Then I extracted the Cheat Manager and MegaCodeDownloader and moved them to the apps folder as well. I loaded the Homebrew Channel and then Mega Code Downloader, but all I get is a black screen after hitting Load. The txt files I had for MegaMan 9 and 10 don't seem to load up nicely in the Cheat Manager either.

So did I do anything wrong and is there a way to download the codes? Or am I screwed?

Screwed around with things a bit more, still no luck. I used this link to try and just make a .gct file I guess but I can't seem to figure out how to load a game that isn't on a disk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 08:40PM by Heatman.
March 12, 2010 03:39AM
Does "Launch Channel" appear in the Gecko menu? If not, you may have to do something to get it to work.
March 12, 2010 04:34AM
Nope, I just got:

Launch Game
Config Options
About
Exit

So if there's supposed to be a Launch Channel, where do I go and find that? O_O
March 12, 2010 04:47AM
Download Dop-Mii and launch it through the HBC.

Once the app is loaded, it will ask you which IOS you would like to choose to install other IOSs. Choose IOS36.

Another screen will appear. Select the "install IOSs" (or something like that) option. From there, install IOS36. It will ask if you want to apply the fakesigning bug. Accept the prompt. It will also ask if you want to apply NAND Permissions and ES_Identify. Decline those prompts.

Once the fakesigned IOS is finished installing, return to the HBC, and restart your wii. Launch the HBC, and load Gecko OS. I believe you will now have the option to launch channels.

I hope that helps you. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 04:47AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
March 12, 2010 06:46AM
I think I followed you up until installing IOS36 with fakesigning bug. After that, I got a screen that says:

***Downgrading from IOS15 to v257***
Loading IOS15 v257 into memory
(then some options to scroll through here)
cancel
Load WAD from SD card
Load WAD from USB storage
Download from NUS

I don't see you mention that, so just checking, since obviously I don't want to screw up my Wii or anything by blindly screwing with things I don't really know what they do. XD

*Edit - I dunno if it matters, but I moved the contents that were in the apps folder of the DOP-Miv12 folder to the apps on my SD card, but there's also a Config folder in the DOP-Miv12 folder as well containing DOP-Mii.cfg as well, do I need to do anything with that either?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 06:59AM by Heatman.
March 12, 2010 07:13AM
Oh yeah. Select "Download from NUS."

You don't need to worry about the config folder. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 07:13AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
March 12, 2010 07:21AM
Alright, after NAND Permission Patch, "Loading IOS36 v3351 into memory" appears under that with the same options as I listed above. Do I need to do anything with that either? Or do I hit Cancel and exit out of there and restart my Wii?
March 12, 2010 07:28AM
Just download from NUS again.
March 12, 2010 07:33AM
Bleh, I hate to be such a bother with so many questions being a newbie at this and all, but I downloaded again as you said, now it says:
***Reloading IOS36 (v3351)***
Would you like to restore IOS15 to v523?

I'm assuming this is where I'd go back and then reset the Wii, but I'm just checking to be sure first since, yeah, I really don't know. XD
March 12, 2010 07:34AM
Lol, its fine, you're not a bother. XD

Yeah, you probably should restore it. Accept the prompt. :P
March 12, 2010 07:47AM
Well after that it seemed like it was done and navigated back to the menu and reset the Wii, but crap, it doesn't have the option to load channels still. >_< If you've got other suggestions though I'll try them out in the morning.
March 12, 2010 08:01AM
My last suggestion. :P
Open up notepad (or TextEdit if you're on a mac), type this in:

startupios = 36

Save the file and call it gameconfig.txt. Put it on the root of your SD card. Then, try loading Gecko OS and see if the channel loading option is there.

Okay, thats all the help you'll get from me today. I need to go to sleep. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 08:03AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
March 12, 2010 05:17PM
Darn, that didn't work either. Surely the answer has to be out there somewhere. Does it matter what version my system menu on Wii is, being a 4.2?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 05:18PM by Heatman.
March 12, 2010 11:02PM
Did you apply the patches?
March 13, 2010 03:53AM
Do you have to do something to actually apply them? I followed what WaxyPumpkin suggested so I figure they get applied in the process or something. o.o

WaxyPumpkin72
It will also ask if you want to apply NAND Permissions and ES_Identify. Decline those prompts
I got to thinking about this part, I happened on a different site while trying to dig up more info, and the person said that you should accept them, so it seems.
Some guy
Trucha allows to run trucha signed channels. ES_Identify/ES_DiVerify is a requirement to launch channels in general. And the nand permissions help a lot loading stuff from nand like channels, not sure if Gecko OS uses that to its advantage
Should I retry your suggestion but this time around accept them instead of decline?
March 13, 2010 04:32AM
Yeah, I guess that would make sense. I still don't see how NAND Permissions would help, though.

Go ahead and try following the same instructions I gave you before, but accept the ES_Identify. You can apply NAND Permissions, if you want to, but I don't think it would make any difference.
March 13, 2010 05:33AM
Alright, now we're making progress I guess since that seemed to work. XD Yeah, now I got the Launch Channels option, but now when I try to load MegaMan 9 or 10, I'm getting "SD Patch File Not Found", so I suppose my question now is, what's that and how do I use it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login