Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Running HCB From my usb

Posted by skin_ya 
Running HCB From my usb
March 11, 2010 10:13PM
Hi first post here.

so yesterday i installed home brew on my Wii and some apps.

i have it all installed and working and its running from my 4GB SD card.

Thing is i really need the SD card back because it came from my $1000 camera. and the cam is not much good with out the card.

So i want to know if there is a way i can run the HBC from My 4GB USB Stick

FYI nice job on removing the need for the game to install it.

you may also want to take a look at a site called brewii its another scam site that makes you pay for the installer but then tells you its free and says you paid for the instructions. and the instructions are useless crap and so far confusing. lol pile of junk...
Re: Running HCB From my usb
March 12, 2010 12:18AM
You can load some, but not all, apps from a USB drive. Once the HBC is installed, it no longer reads anything from the SD card.
March 12, 2010 12:45AM
If it reads nothing from the SD card why wont it start the HBC with out the SD card in the Wii?

also what format would the USB have to be cause if its FAT32 that would be hard because my pc wont open it to alow me to put the files on it.

On top of that i have a huge mess of file on the SD card So what files would need to be on the USB?

Im getting just the files for the hackmii installer maybe correct me if i am wrong.

I'm Not a wizz kid on the computer but i have a pretty good view on how things work and why (just a top view kind of thing and i can guess and trial and error a fair bit before i get pissed and want to smash it........
March 12, 2010 03:37AM
You need the HackMii Installer and an exploit. If you have LEGO Indiana Jones, use Indiana Pwns. If you have SSBB, use Smash Stack. If you don't have either, use bannerbomb. These exploits can only launch binaries from the SD card, so that's why you need an SD card.

The HackMii Installer puts the Homebrew Channel on the Wii. The HBC does not run from the SD card, and it can read from USB devices because it has more room. Exploits need to be extremely tiny, and thus they do not have many of the HBC's features.
March 12, 2010 03:47AM
ok so now i am confused

i have the lego game.... but that is used to install the HBC and i have already done that (did not need the game then cause i just launched the installer from the SD card)

my HBC is on my Wii when the SD card is not in the Wii But if i try to use it it dose not bring up the start button i just get stuck on the blue screen with no apps.

i don't use many apps and i cant download many because my browser won't update because of some boot file is an unexpected size or some thing im thinking i may need to do a fresh install some how cause i got mine from the scam site and im sure its old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 03:53AM by skin_ya.
March 12, 2010 04:45AM
skin_ya
i don't use many apps and i cant download many because my browser won't update because of some boot file is an unexpected size or some thing im thinking i may need to do a fresh install some how cause i got mine from the scam site and im sure its old.

Same thing happened to me, go to the wiki and get the latest HBB and load it on the sd card in your apps folder and you will have the updated HBB. If you don't want to download from the HBB you can go to the wiki and download what apps you want then transfer them to the sd card in the apps folder, its a little more tedious that way but works as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 04:48AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
March 12, 2010 04:53AM
If you have a FAT32 USB stick in, press 2 to select it.

Why won't your computer read FAT32?
March 12, 2010 05:32AM
I'm not sure why it wont read it i plug it in and go to my computer and try to open the drive and it wants me to format it.
Thinking about it i only have 1 file on the USB and its not that important so i may just reformat it and see how i go.

Where do i press 2?
And what will that let me do?

I'm sure it would be nice if every app and the whole HBC could be placed on a USB once installed and have every thing work

would be even nicer if there was an app or a step by step guide to setting the files up on a USB but i had a look at an app earlier and i can see why it has to be on the SD card it gets files from the SD card and there is no way to change where i gets them from causing the app not to work so yea i see what you mean not all will work.
March 12, 2010 06:20AM
Ok sorry for the double post but i have some cool news..

i just reformatted my USB and was able to open it..

i also loaded all the HBC files on it and pluged it back in and got it to run from the usb so far i have found no apps that are unhappy with this but then again i have only opend the HBB that i updated and i must say wow nice job it looks so cool and the amount of content is just amazing.

looked at the emulators and seen the N64 1 was there and sooooo many memories of hrs and hrs of them verry adicting games come flooding back into my head so that's on the DL list asap well i think i just finished. At least the download limit is not a worries for me I'm allowed 200GB a month before they slow me down to dial up speed. I will be lucky to use 100GB of that even with all the other things i down load.

all is good now any 1 know where i can get some games for the N64 emulator?

as long as my main apps work i will be a very happy kid (well i should say guy now im 18 call it what ever )
March 12, 2010 06:25AM
skin_ya
all is good now any 1 know where i can get some games for the N64 emulator?
We will not give you illegal links to websites to download N64 ROMS. Go elsewhere to find those.
March 12, 2010 06:45AM
wait but you guys supported the N64 emulator app but not the game files that it needs to be used if you are so anti illegal why would it be on the HBB? i still have my N64 games from years ago in a box but i do not see how i can plug that into the emulator or turn it into a disk or a file like the emulator wants......

Any way the whole usb thing was a flop it started crashing my wii a lot and that's just not cool looks like i need to buy another cheap 4gb card ebay here i come..

kinda a pitty but I'm going to run out of room on that tiny card at some point maybe ill use 2 usb sticks im not sure.

i don't think the app i was using liked reading from where it was trying to wright.....
March 12, 2010 07:22AM
skin_ya
wait but you guys supported the N64 emulator app but not the game files that it needs to be used
If you knew what you were talking about, you would understand that running an emulator isn't illegal. Downloading ROMs that you don't have the right to own is illegal. Thus, we won't give you a link. It says so in the rules.
March 12, 2010 02:16PM
You don't have to ebay for a sd card wally world has them for about 20 bucks for a 4gig, unless you want one for less.
March 12, 2010 02:38PM
i bout my sd card at walmart....4 gig 12.99....best buy would have them pretty cheap...if you want one that works great, then get a 2 gig...around 10 bux....hope this helps
March 13, 2010 08:38AM
skin_ya
my HBC is on my Wii when the SD card is not in the Wii But if i try to use it it dose not bring up the start button i just get stuck on the blue screen with no apps.

I quickly skimmed the thread, so this may have been answered, but the apps are on the SD card, the Homebrew Channel is on the Wii
March 13, 2010 01:36PM
cactusjack901
skin_ya

I quickly skimmed the thread, so this may have been answered, but the apps are on the SD card, the Homebrew Channel is on the Wii

Or a USB stick, though many applications still don't support it.
March 13, 2010 04:56PM
dude, if you can afford a $1000 camera, you can get a nice big SD card for cheap and bam... no worries.
March 14, 2010 04:37AM
Try searching Best Buys website for a PNY brand 8GB SDHC card. I own and bought one in store, and they cost $25. On the site might be a few bucks less. I'd give you a direct link to it, but these mods and admins would claim I'm advertising even with others posting merchant site links to products they sell....Besides I'm in no mood to prove them wrong again, cause I raised hell last time about it.

Btw Arikado...Whatever happened to that "seven" day ban from the general board? You never said you were outright banning my priviledges from that forum.....Just "seven" days......It's been way more than that....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 04:40AM by nightwishfan1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login