Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Regarding updating to 4.2

Posted by Calvo 
Regarding updating to 4.2
March 13, 2010 04:49PM
anyways, my system menu is 4.1 and i have HBC installed. The other day my mom comes home and suprises smy brother with New Super Mario Bros.

Anyways i told her to hold on to it for another week, since i didnt know if updating to 4.2 through the game could brick my wii. She raegd when i told her about this possiblity

SO my question is, could i do this-

1.Uninstall HBC
2.Put in NSMB, and update the wii to 4.2
3. Reinstall HBC (i now have to use the 4.2 installer correct?)

to safely update to 4.2??

i have not done anything else to the wii, only homebrew and the DVD thing

thanks in advance
Re: Regarding updating to 4.2
March 13, 2010 04:54PM
so long as you have the latest version of HBC, the official 4.2 update won't erase your homebrew... and there isn't any risk of bricking assuming you don't play jump rope with your power cord during the update and you haven't done any massive illegal fail modding of your wii
March 13, 2010 04:58PM
augh,we need wifi to update the HBC right? i dont have wifi, so i would i go about updating?

thanks for replying, so it would be safe to do what i posted?
March 13, 2010 05:00PM
you can just download the latest version to your computer and put it on your sd card and run it like an app.

the latest version is 1.06 so check to see what you have... you may already have it.

Edit: yes it would be safe to do what you posted, but easier to update HBC first THEN update wii.

that way you don't have to do the exploit again (not that that's hard, but it'll save you a bunch of steps)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 05:01PM by mdbrim.
March 13, 2010 05:02PM
im actually at a friends house right now, but ill post back as soon as i get home. thanks again for your help i really appreciate it :)
March 13, 2010 05:05PM
no problem! that's what we're here for.
March 13, 2010 11:20PM
ok, so im back at home, and on the top corner it says

"1.0.6.
IOS61 v19.26"

so i wouldnt have to uninstall the homebrew channel then, if i update the wii through NSMB?
March 14, 2010 12:07AM
Yeah, no need to uninstall the HBC. :)
March 14, 2010 01:00AM
okay, so then i just pop in the disc, and update then?

im scared that something will go horribly wrong and the wii will end up bricking itself or something lol
March 14, 2010 01:05AM
Calvo
okay, so then i just pop in the disc, and update then?

im scared that something will go horribly wrong and the wii will end up bricking itself or something lol
Yes, just update your wii. Don't turn off your wii during the update, though, or it will brick.
March 14, 2010 01:26AM
ok, will do. can we leave this open though, just in case something else happens?

Ill post back when its updated and whatnot lol
March 14, 2010 01:32AM
Calvo
ok, will do. can we leave this open though, just in case something else happens?
Lol, of course. :)
March 16, 2010 04:55AM
ok the wii updated fine, thanks again for all your help, this can be closed now :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login