Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I Want To Update My Wii Shop Channel

Posted by Nario 
I Want To Update My Wii Shop Channel
March 24, 2010 03:09AM
I want to update the Wii Shop Channel, but I'd like to know if I have to reinstall bootmii again, as well as a few other questions.

Here is my Wii's information:

Wii Menu Version: 4.1U
Homebrew Channel Version: 1.0.6 (installed from bootmii)
IOS61 Version: 19.26

If I choose to update to the latest update through the Wii Shop Channel:

*Will my Wii Menu Version be updated to 4.2?
*Will the Homebrew Channel be erased from the Wii's hard drive?
*And will I have to reinstall bootmii all over again?

I hope this helps giving me advice as easy as possible. Thank you.
Re: I Want To Update My Wii Shop Channel
March 24, 2010 03:30AM
Its perfectly safe to update. Nothing will be deleted, seeing as you're using the latest version of everything. I'm not sure if your system menu will be updated when you update the shop channel, but it doesn't really matter if the system menu is updated, too.
March 24, 2010 04:34AM
If you select update in the shop channel, it will perform a complete system update. Updating won't cause any problems, so it is likely the best idea. However, there is no actual benefit to updating. If you don't want to perform a system update, you can update just the shop channel with DOP-Mii.
March 24, 2010 05:00AM
Thanks everyone! I downloaded the update from the Wii Shop Channel, nothing was deleted, and everything's working fine!

My Wii Menu Version is now 4.2U and my IOS61 Version is now 21.29. All is well! Once again, thank you all so much!

Oh, and I didn't want to download an unofficial Wii Shop Channel in fear that something bad could happen in the future. I think I'll just stick with The Homebrew Channel for now. :)
March 24, 2010 05:56AM
Unofficial shop channel?
March 24, 2010 06:46AM
With modified code, yeah.

I just wanted the official update supplied by Nintendo, downloaded from Nintendo's server, and I got just that, thanks to you all telling me that nothing wrong would happen to my Wii if I updated it to 4.2U. And, of course, nothing bad happened to my Wii after doing so, just as you all said. :)

I just want to play it safe: have The Homebrew Channel, be able to purchase new games for the Virtual Console, and still be able to keep The Homebrew Channel.

Thanks for resolving my questions!
March 24, 2010 01:51PM
If you update the shop channel with DOP-Mii, it downloads the latest version from Nintendo and installs it. It does not modify it in any way, so it is the same as it would be if installed with a system update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 01:51PM by jbc007.
March 24, 2010 07:56PM
Nario

And what unofficial shop channel with modified code is this?
March 24, 2010 08:29PM
cactusjack901
Nario

He for some reason got the idea that dop-mii downloads an un-official shop channel that is written by some homebrew coder. He doesn't understand that dop mii connects to Nintendo's update servers.
March 28, 2010 09:09PM
WaxyPumpkin72
cactusjack901
Nario

He for some reason got the idea that dop-mii downloads an un-official shop channel that is written by some homebrew coder. He doesn't understand that dop mii connects to Nintendo's update servers.
That is correct.

Thanks for informing me of this!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login