Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

boot2v4 & update 4.2

Posted by Isaactoo 
boot2v4 & update 4.2
April 02, 2010 03:32AM
I plan on pre-ordering a game coming out later this month (MH3) and was wondering whether it would be safer to update from the game's disk rather than via the internet. (on hackmii.com I saw it's 1 in a thousand get bricked)
Also, since the hackmii installer would not install as boot2, does this mean I already have the boot2v4? And would Nintendo's update overwrite it exactly with the same bit for bit, or is there the possibility that they put in some extra code so that at a later update they could detect that an unofficial update had been done by comparing the versions of the various parts of the system?
If I can be certain that my boot2 is identicle to the one in the 4.2 update, could some-one give me a guide to update everything except the boot2, so I could bypass the danger but still have a fully updated Wii?

I only have the HBC installed and bootmii as IOS.

Thank you, and sorry if these are really newbish questions, but I searched google and couldn't find very solid answers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2010 03:33AM by Isaactoo.
Re: boot2v4 & update 4.2
April 02, 2010 03:55AM
If you want to run the update from the disk, go ahead. Its perfectly safe. You won't brick your wii unless the power goes out mid-update.
April 02, 2010 03:57AM
I thought that only applied to regular updates and that the 4.2 update was a lot more risky since it's a firmware update.
April 02, 2010 04:32AM
Shortly after 4.2's release, the risk was blown out of proportion. We now know it isn't risky.
April 02, 2010 07:34AM
Cool, so is it safer then to just update through the disk, the internet, or using homebrew to update everything?

Out of curiosity, how was it determined that it is/isn't risky?

Thanks for all the replies by the way :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2010 07:37AM by Isaactoo.
April 02, 2010 07:39AM
It doesn't make a difference if you update from the disk or over the internet.

Isaactoo
Out of curiosity, how was it determined that it is/isn't risky?
N00bs saw that there was an update that deleted the HBC. They got all scared. Once they realized that the only reason it was deleted was because of something dumb, and that it could be easily re-installed, everything was fine. But some people are still lost.
April 02, 2010 07:14PM
Ok, one more question...is there a way for me to install the 4.2 update without touching low level system stuff that could possibly prevent SaveMii from working (in case I had a corrupt update or power failure)?
April 02, 2010 07:28PM
No, but issues that cause a bricks are rare. During most of the update, the wii is either downloading things or installing IOSes. If the power is lost at any time except when boot2 or the system menu is being installed, your wii will not brick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2010 07:31PM by jbc007.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login