Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

???I'm thinking about installing the HOMEBREW CHANNEL... but I have a few questions???

Posted by Dark_Wolf101 
Hey! I was thinking about installing the Wii Homebrew channel, and I just had a few queries. Firstly, I'm worried that if I install it now, any proceding Firmware updates will brick my Wii. Is there a way to prevent Firmare updates (which are neccessary to go online and play future games) from bricking my console? And is there a way of restoring my console without losing data? My main concern is that if my console bricks, I will not only lose my Wii (as modification prevents repair or refund), but also the $150+ worth of VC/WiiWare downloads. I can back up most of save files onto my SD card, but for some reason, the game I've spent the most time on, SSBB, doesn't allow this.

One possible solution would be to buy a second-hand Wii. That way I could install all of the emulators and Homebrew channels to that, without the risk of Firmware updates, or the need to go online. But a second-hand Wii in Australia still costs $250, which is a lot to pay, considering the tentative nature of this endevour. Another solution might by to store all of the Homebrew channels and emulators on my SD card. My question is, will this prevent bricking, or will the Wii still detect modification?

Any answers, explanations, or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Re: ???I'm thinking about installing the HOMEBREW CHANNEL... but I have a few questions???
April 24, 2010 01:43PM
Dark_Wolf101
Firstly, I'm worried that if I install it now, any proceding Firmware updates will brick my Wii.
No. And if they did (which they won't) you can sue Nintendo for all they're worth.

Dark_Wolf101
Is there a way to prevent Firmare updates (which are neccessary to go online and play future games) from bricking my console?
Again they won't brick you. However, we do have homebrew software like [code.google.com] which will let you manually update your Wii.

Dark_Wolf101
And is there a way of restoring my console without losing data? My main concern is that if my console bricks, I will not only lose my Wii (as modification prevents repair or refund), but also the $150+ worth of VC/WiiWare downloads. I can back up most of save files onto my SD card, but for some reason, the game I've spent the most time on, SSBB, doesn't allow this.
Install BootMii along with the homebrew channel and have BootMii make a NAND backup.

Dark_Wolf101
One possible solution would be to buy a second-hand Wii. That way I could install all of the emulators and Homebrew channels to that, without the risk of Firmware updates, or the need to go online. But a second-hand Wii in Australia still costs $250, which is a lot to pay, considering the tentative nature of this endevour.
Really not necessary. I've had it installed on my Wii for over a year, performed every update Nintendo offered, and never ran into any problems. I'm sure you won't either. Again, Nintendo will not brick your Wii because you have the homebrew channel installed. You could sue them for that. Nintendo knows this.

Dark_Wolf101
Another solution might by to store all of the Homebrew channels and emulators on my SD card. My question is, will this prevent bricking, or will the Wii still detect modification?
The Homebrew Channel is stored on your Wii's NAND (hard drive). Even if you move it to your SD Card, part of it is still left on the NAND. All other software that the homebrew channel runs has to be completely stored on your SD Card or a USB device.
Re: ???I'm thinking about installing the HOMEBREW CHANNEL... but I have a few questions???
April 24, 2010 03:00PM
Arikado's link was broken, here's the correct one:
[code.google.com] :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2010 03:00PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
Thanks for your response Arikado, but I thought the whole point of last years 4.1/4.2 Firmware update was to remove modification software and brick modified console. There's even a disclaimer of it when you download the update. Do you mean to say it would only brick Wii's that have been chipped? Because I recall podcasts from around that time warning people with the Homebrew Channel that this update would freeze their Wii's. This is the main reason for my hesitation.

EDIT: Here's an article describing the updates targetting of Homebrew Channels users.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2010 06:14PM by Dark_Wolf101.
April 24, 2010 10:20PM
The bricks were not intentional and affect all Wii's, not just homebrewed ones. The issue was blown out of proportion, there really is basically no risk updating to 4.2 with or without the Homebrew Channel.
bg4545
The bricks were not intentional and affect all Wii's, not just homebrewed ones. The issue was blown out of proportion, there really is basically no risk updating to 4.2 with or without the Homebrew Channel.

As long as it is not a region changed Korean wii. Nintendo intentionally bricks those, but they have not intentionally bricked any other wiis.
Thanks a lot guys! You've been most helpful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login