Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I "properly" uninstall HBC?

Posted by nintendude 
How do I "properly" uninstall HBC?
May 21, 2010 07:51PM
How do I uninstall HBC completely? Last time I checked, I have to go through the installer, select 'Uninstall Homebrew Channel' and then it will not only delete HBC from my Wii but also delete the ticket it leaves behind, thus "properly" removing its existance which basically almost completely erases any trace that it was on my Wii, if I'm not mistaken. How do I get the installer back on my Wii to perform such an action?

Also, I said "almost completely erases any trace" because I know that, unfortunately, if you use a regular channel that was meant to be on the Wii and then use HBC, then HBC usage will show on the Wii message board, leaving the only remaining evidence of HBC usage behind even after "properly" uninstalling and removing HBC and its ticket. For this, would formatting the system's memory delete any and all of my Wii message board history? And, if it does, can I redownload all of the VC games that I had before basically erasing my Wii's hard drive?
Re: How do I "properly" uninstall HBC?
May 21, 2010 08:34PM
you can also use AnyTitleDeleter
May 21, 2010 09:46PM
I actually wanted to go the route I mentioned, so how can I do it?
May 21, 2010 10:38PM
Don't use AnyTitle Deleter. It leaves something behind if you use it, which is not easy to remove. To uninstall the Homebrew Channel, launch the Hackmii Installer through the HBC and select uninstall.

Formatting will delete the play history. I think you will be able to redownload everything you purchased through the shop channel, but I don't know for sure.

If you installed anything other than the HBC, DVDx, and Bootmii, you may not be able to remove all traces of it without using Comex's NAND Formatter (depending on what else you may have installed). Also, keep in mind that the Hackmii Installer 0.5 and newer can't delete the old DVDx. Also, I'm not sure whether the newer Hackmii Installer can delete the ticket from HBC 1.0.4 or older, but it definitely leaves it when updating to the latest HBC (although it does delete the old HBC itself).
May 21, 2010 10:39PM
I also have one other question, why do you wanna delete the homebrew channel?
May 21, 2010 11:48PM
jbc007
Also, keep in mind that the Hackmii Installer 0.5 and newer can't delete the old DVDx. Also, I'm not sure whether the newer Hackmii Installer can delete the ticket from HBC 1.0.4 or older, but it definitely leaves it when updating to the latest HBC (although it does delete the old HBC itself).

I installed HBC back after the bannerbomb exploit was created after system menu 4.0 was released and I updated to it. I only installed both HBC and DVDx (unless you count the apps inside of HBC, which they were just emulators and Gecko OS, if that means anything), but uninstalled DVDx pretty much right away (either the same day of or the day after installing it, at the latest) using the same installer version to install it. That should've uninstalled DVDx and its ticket, correct? And, for verification that I uninstalled it back then, shouldn't the option for DVDx on the installer read "Install DVDx" instead of "Uninstall DVDx" (or something to that extent)?

Also, I have the latest version of HBC (version 1.0.6 if I'm not mistaken) with system menu 4.2, so shouldn't Bannerbomb v2 be able to uninstall HBC v1.0.6 and delete the ticket left behind successfully?

Finally, will formatting my Wii's memory for sure remove any and all traces of HBC if, somehow, traces of HBC are still left behind (aside from the Wii message board history) even after using the Bannerbomb v2 installer to uninstall it?

Thanks for your timely response, by the way, I appreciate it!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2010 12:09AM by nintendude.
May 21, 2010 11:50PM
cactusjack901

I want to delete HBC simply because I'm done with (and tired of) it. I just don't want it anymore, it's not worth having it for me any longer.

Also, O_O @ your post count! :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2010 12:05AM by nintendude.
May 22, 2010 01:40AM
nintendude
cactusjack901

I want to delete HBC simply because I'm done with (and tired of) it. I just don't want it anymore, it's not worth having it for me any longer.

Also, O_O @ your post count! :P

Yeah, I stick around here a good deal. Even though you're done with the HBC, I suggest you keep it. You may be bored of it now, but more interesting things may come out, and probably will.
May 24, 2010 08:18PM
Basically, just to review and confirm, all I have to do to remove HBC is to use the Bannerbomb v2 installer and choose to uninstall it, right? Additionally, to remove any remaining traces of HBC usage (which should only be message board history after uninstalling, if I'm not mistaken) is to format system memory, thus wiping everything on the hard drive, including said remnants of HBC, correct? All I need is confirmation of this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2010 08:19PM by nintendude.
May 25, 2010 01:14AM
May 25, 2010 03:57AM
WikiFSX
Yes.
Yes, he's right.
May 25, 2010 06:45AM
Thanks! And the same goes with any possible remnants of the once installed, but "properly" uninstalled DVDx? I'm asking because of jbc007's comment on newer versions the installer not being able to uninstall older versions of DVDx. And, in my case on that comment, I installed and uninstalled DVDx with the Bannerbomb v1 installer back on system menu 4.0U. I'm assuming I should be safe...
May 26, 2010 12:03AM
I finished "properly" uninstalling HBC and formatted my Wii's memory a few hours ago. Thanks for all of the help!
August 30, 2010 05:53AM
i also removed HBC and formatted my wii, can i safely upgrade my WII?
either with wii games such as "shaun white snowboarding world stage" or just through system update?

i actually installed HBC and dvdx i think but, the hack i used wanted to connect to the internet. i was'nt connected to the net so most of the hack did'nt work..... anyway so i formatted the wii and tried again and again and again, it just keeps freezing everytime now .......... so now i'm over it!

ive reformatted the wii and have been playing game on it. QUESTION? can i safely update system with out bricking?

thanks for all your help in advance
August 30, 2010 05:30PM
aboody
QUESTION? can i safely update system with out bricking?

Yes.

Updating through official methods will likely never brick your Wii. You can use either the online update or a disc-based update like the one you mention.

I don't know what hack you used that tried to connect to internet. Exploits don't do that, neither HackMii installer. Still, if you are currently having problems with your Wii freezing, definitely it is recommended to update it through any official method, that should fix any corrupt IOS you could have installed.

P.D. And even if you update to latest version and you ever want to reinstall HBC you will be able to :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 05:31PM by Axel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login