Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smash Stack Screw-up

Posted by DAMOE 
Smash Stack Screw-up
July 03, 2010 03:24PM
I have SS but it won't load because I have this annoying custom stage that wont go away, "CHiKi". Help on erasing it?
Re: Smash Stack Screw-up
July 03, 2010 10:12PM
Delete it, and then put Smash Stack on the SD card.
July 04, 2010 02:54AM
The thing is that you can't delete/ copy/ or move this file!! It's one of those files that you get when you connect to Nintendo WiFi ^_^.

I updated to 4.3. (I erased DVDx, BootMii IOS before I did with the hackmii installer, I erased HBC from the Data Management screen) The only thing I can't get rid of is those stupid letters on the Message board that recorded "Homebrew Channel" when I used the Gecko thing.

I think the file goes away if you forward the Wii's clock by a day.
July 05, 2010 03:06PM
was it one that was downloaded through nintendo's servers? If so, just turn the option to get a custom stage everyday off. then wait until tomarrow, or restarting the game might also delete it. After you use SS then you can turn the option back on.
July 06, 2010 08:40AM
Now I'm curious if Nintendo could just patch SS by simply making an update that writes an un-erasable custom stage to brawl's save data so SS doesn't work....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 08:41AM by NintendoFreak.
July 06, 2010 03:09PM
NintendoFreak
Now I'm curious if Nintendo could just patch SS by simply making an update that writes an un-erasable custom stage to brawl's save data so SS doesn't work....
No, it shouldn't matter because Smash Stack is on the SD card and not the game. It can't be patched/fixed as far as I know.
July 06, 2010 04:10PM
bg4545
NintendoFreak
No, it shouldn't matter because Smash Stack is on the SD card and not the game. It can't be patched/fixed as far as I know.

Exactly. Once a game is running, only whats on the disc is run, nothing of the System Menu or anything else (other than game's IOS) is running, so there's not much they can do. They could possibly modify the IOS the game uses so that it checks for Smash Stack, but that's about all they could do, and doing so could make it buggy, especially for other games I think, and I don't even know if its possible in the first place.

A System Menu based patch wouldn't work (e.g. one that deletes the Smash Stack stage at boot), because you could simply insert SD card after game is booted and nothing is done.

So in short, because of Ninty's poor software design which doesn't allow patching games, it probably can't be fixed. Unless they decide to add support for game patches in future revisions of system software, but that it highly unlikely as said patches would mean:

a) lower quality of released games (devs are lazy and fix stuff with patches after release)
b) using a lot of space on Wii's small 512MB NAND
c) would probably require quite a bit of work, and considering how long it took them to make 4.3, it would probably take at least 10 years.
July 06, 2010 04:30PM
I understand that but what I mean is that they could write a custom stage to brawl so SS would not work (Don't you need to erase ALL of the custom stages on the Wii for it to work, right?)

They have access to brawl's SAVE data from the menu, they could simply write an un-erasable custom stage (like the one that you get from their servers) to it making SS useless since you need to erase all custom stages on the Wii in order for it to work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 04:39PM by NintendoFreak.
July 06, 2010 05:01PM
Like I said, anything done in System Menu can be bypassed by removing SD card before turning on Wii and only inserting after booting the game. And they couldn't do what you suggest within Brawl because they can't patch games.
July 06, 2010 05:13PM
It won't matter that you could by-pass that Wii Menu since the stage will already be written to the save file.

That's not really patching, it's just a way that they could make SS useless.

Smash Stack:

Usage

1. Move any existing custom stages on Brawl to your SD card and exit the stage builder. Smash Stack will not work if the console has any custom stages on it, even the three samples that come with a new file.
2. Connect the SD card to your computer and rename the "private" folder to "privateold" in the root of the SD card.
3. Copy the "private" folder from the Smash Stack download to the root of the SD card.
4. Grab a *.elf file (HackMii Installer works) and put that in the root of the SD card.
5. Insert the SD card into the Wii.
6. Go to the stage builder and the .elf file will load

I don't think it is IMPOSSIBLE for Nintendo to write a custom stage that you cant erase to Brawl's Save Data which is on the Menu.
July 06, 2010 05:43PM
All you would have to do is turn off WiFi and you wouldn't get the stage.
July 06, 2010 05:51PM
If you don't have it set to download the daily stage, its almost definitely impossible. And even if you do, it is quite possibly not possible anyway, as the game would have to have been programmed to have the functions to write an unerasable stage, which I'm guessing is incredibly unlikely.
July 06, 2010 05:53PM
I think he means for the system menu to add the stage to the SSBB save file, but this would not work. Even if Nintendo successfully added an undeletable custom stage to SSBB game saves, the save file could be deleted from the wii through data management, removing the undeletable stage as well. Then when SSBB is run, it will create a new save to which an undeletable custom stage can't be added until the wii is restarted. This would create an opportunity to run Smash Stack.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 05:55PM by jbc007.
July 06, 2010 05:54PM
Yeah, but you can say the same thing about the other exploits.

Ex. "I'll just turn WiFi off so I can keep Bannerbomb"

Also, remember that this "stage" could be written by a new System Menu and not the WiFi thing on Brawl.

I think it is possible to make an un-erasable stage because they already do this with the ones you download daily though the WiFi, if not they could program the Wii to write the stage daily to Brawl's save data.
July 06, 2010 05:55PM
jbc007
I understand what you are talking about, but it would not work. If Nintendo successfully added an undeletable custom stage to SSBB game saves, the save file could be deleted from the wii through data management, removing the undeletable stage as well. Then when SSBB is run, it will create a new save to which an undeletable custom stage can't be added until the wii is restarted. This would create an opportunity to run Smash Stack.

You're right!! But what about people that don't want to erase their Brawl data??

What if they also made an undeletable Brawl save aswell? Lol!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 06:00PM by NintendoFreak.
July 06, 2010 06:05PM
What about the "Erase Vault Data" option?? Does that delete the undeletable stages you get from WiFi??
July 06, 2010 06:10PM
NintendoFreak
You're right!! But what about people that don't want to erase their Brawl data??

You have a point, but I would guess that more people than not would be willing to erase their Brawl saves, provided they did want to install homebrew. Besides, it is very unlikely that Nintendo would ever do this. It would be a lot of effort, and there will be other exploits anyway.

NintendoFreak
What if they also made an undeletable Brawl save aswell? Lol!!

I don't think this is very likely. The wii has very little memory, and the Brawl save is big (over 120 blocks, IIRC). A lot of people who really did not want a brawl game save would get angry about losing this much memory for no apparent reason. Since there will be other exploits, this would not benefit Nintendo.
July 06, 2010 06:16PM
You're missing the point: If the System Menu writes the undeletable stage, you can just remove the SD card before SM starts and insert it when game boots.

Face it, it's practically impossible for Ninty to defeat Smash Stack.
July 06, 2010 06:16PM
jbc007
I don't think this is very likely. The wii has very little memory, and the Brawl save is big (over 120 blocks, IIRC). A lot of people who really did not want a brawl game save would get angry about losing this much memory for no apparent reason. Since there will be other exploits, this would not benefit Nintendo.

Yea, I was just kidding with that one! xD

I just wonder if the "Erase Vault Data" option in Brawl would delete such file... Does it even delete the undeletable files that are downloaded through WiFi???
July 06, 2010 06:20PM
SifJar
You're missing the point: If the System Menu writes the undeletable stage, you can just remove the SD card before SM starts and insert it when game boots.

The undeletable stage would be written in the Wii!!!!! Not the SD Card!!!!!!!!! Removing or not removing the SD card will not matter since the stage would be written to the Brawl's save data (The one on the data management in the Wii menu)

To use SS, you can't have a single custom stage on the Wii's Memory!!

SifJar
Face it, it's practically impossible for Ninty to defeat Smash Stack.

Maybe. We don't know that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login