Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

question

Posted by kichoufumetsu 
question
August 16, 2010 03:47AM
the top of all of the pages says to optionally update to 4.3
right now i'm at 3.1
i've stayed here cause i'm able to use blank dvds for my kids.

question is, if i update to 4.3, will i still be able to use dvds or will i HAVE to go to using an external harddrive?
Re: question
August 16, 2010 04:42AM
If you are talking about "backup" (more likely pirated) games, go away. Those are unsupported here. If you are talking about something else you may have nothing to worry about, but it really depends on what you are trying to do. Keep in mind that if you update, you will no longer have the trucha bug in any IOSes. Technically this does not matter after the recent HBC update, but many NAND modifying applications will not work without it for the time being.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 04:42AM by jbc007.
August 16, 2010 05:12PM
a backup can be legal as well. considering SOME people buy the games their kids want, and make a copy of it so they can put up the real disk. (since that's what the technology was put on the open market for)
i just need to know if my system will still be able to read the disks if i update to the new 4.3.
if my question is unwanted on this forum, then i will only say that i'm sorry for asking for help from people that refuse to help.
:o)
thanks in advance for any actual answers that come.
August 16, 2010 05:13PM
and yeah, the other (what i guess you people would call legal) question is would the system still be able to watch movies from dvd?
August 16, 2010 07:51PM
dude, nobody said it was illegal... they said we can't help you with that.

you are more then welcome to back archive copies of your games... we aren't going to stop you, we just can't help you get your wii up and running to PLAY said back up games because the info we would give is the same steps that would help someone illegally download and play copied games they didn't own (ie piracy).

since that's what the technology was put on the open market for

And that quote makes no sense... what technology is on the open market for copying Wii games?

No reputable company makes such technology for a reason...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 07:52PM by mdbrim.
August 16, 2010 08:06PM
the technology of backing up ANY cd, dvd, or br based disk was put on the open market for people to use to keep their childrens grubby little hands off of disks that cost WAY to much to put into a 5 year olds hands.
August 16, 2010 08:10PM
yeah, i know of tons of stuff that copies DVDs and CDs...

But you still didn't answer my question... you don't see a Samsung Wii game copier do you? You don't see a Panasonic XBOX360 copier do you? I know you can do it with special drives and software (and a guide always helps) but it isn't mainstream like other forms of media.

Movies and audio CDs are one thing... we are talking about Wii games.

for people to use to keep their childrens grubby little hands off of disks that cost WAY to much to put into a 5 year olds hands

Totally agree with you there! I have a 6yr old a 3yr old and a 1yr old. Grubby hands EVERYWHERE!

Once again... not saying it's illegal... just not supported because the advice could be used by pirates to do illegal activities.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 08:25PM by mdbrim.
August 17, 2010 12:22AM
You will still be able to play movies from DVDs after the update, provided you use the latest revision of WiiMC. Also, be sure to reinstall the Homebrew Channel 1.0.8 after the update so that it will use IOS 58 to support USB 2.0 speed. Though, if you do update, remember that NAND modifying applications will not work until they are updated. The work around for this is a pain and unsupported here (after all, it is unnecessary since updating is pointless).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 12:26AM by jbc007.
August 17, 2010 05:33AM
kichoufumetsu
the technology of backing up ANY cd, dvd, or br based disk was put on the open market for people to use to keep their childrens grubby little hands off of disks that cost WAY to much to put into a 5 year olds hands.

Put the games up where the grubby hands can't reach or get to the games, and if they want to play games then you will have to load games for them, its what I do for my kids they are 6, 8, they have to ask before they even get near mine and then I load the game for them to keep it from being messed up, and if its gets messed up there are other ones out there at the store go buy another.
August 17, 2010 06:01AM
well dirtrider i wouldn't go that far, its not our place to tell him to put his stuff out of reach or other methods of disc care... if he wants to back up his games to avoid them from getting ruined (or hell, just to have the convenience of not having to swap out disks...) who are we to say he can't. He owns the wii, he owns the games, he can do what he wants.

We just won't support how to do that / how to fix it when all goes wrong.
August 17, 2010 03:53PM
dirtrider73068
Put the games up where the grubby hands can't reach or get to the games, and if they want to play games then you will have to load games for them, its what I do for my kids they are 6, 8, they have to ask before they even get near mine and then I load the game for them to keep it from being messed up, and if its gets messed up there are other ones out there at the store go buy another.
yeeeaaaah....bite me. my kids are old enough to know how to use a device, they're going to use it. i'm not spending $60 on a game 4 times cause my kids keep scratching or losing the disk.(i did that before i modded the box)

@jbc007
thank you for giving me the answer i was looking for. at least now, i've confirmed that i do not want to upgrade.
you answered it directly, and without breaking any rules. why everyone else can't learn from your ways, i'll never try to understand.
i'm still trying to understand how a website can give someone the tutorials, and directions on how to do something, but you can't talk about it. lol. i'm not opening that subject for discussion, i'm just saying, i think it's funny.

jbc007, thank you. you've helped me a lot
August 17, 2010 07:48PM
OK kichoufumetsu... i was on your side until you just made a total fool of yourself. Say what you want and feel how you want about the help you get here but LEARN THE F'N RULES BEFORE YOU DO!!!!