Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DVDx 3.4, BootMii and Homebrew on 4.3u wii

Posted by apollo1980 
DVDx 3.4, BootMii and Homebrew on 4.3u wii
August 27, 2010 03:15PM
Hello. Noob here.

I just installed Homebrew yesterday on a 4.3u system using the Super Smash Brothers workaround.

While I got Homebrew on the system, I was told I couldn't install BootMii because I had to go IOS or something like that.

Can someone tell me what need to do?

Secondly, I used the Homebrew Browser to download DVDx 3.4. When I went to install it, I was told:

Error -2011 installing dvd stub ticket

and there was a second error.

Just for the heck of it, I downloaded the original DVDx file, just in case THAT needed to be installed first, and 3.4 was an upgrade. Same problem.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance!
Re: DVDx 3.4, BootMii and Homebrew on 4.3u wii
August 27, 2010 04:01PM
The Hackmii Installer automatically installed Bootmii/IOS; however, this is minimally useful. You should install Bootmii/boot2, as it provides the best possible brick protection. Though if you have a newer wii, you can not install Bootmii/boot2, and the installer will tell you this. DVDx can not normally be installed on 4.3. This is because it is no longer necessary. Launch WiiMC through the HBC, and DVD playback will work without DVDx. Keep in mind that if your wii was purchased within the past year, it is likely that it is unable to play DVDs.
August 27, 2010 04:26PM
FYI, Smash Stack isn't a "workaround". It is a fully fledged exploit, as much as any other like Twilight Hack or Bannerbomb.
August 27, 2010 05:11PM
Thanks folks.

Note: I bought my Wii a little under two years ago, so I assume I'm in the safe zone when it comes to loading a DVD. Please confirm.

A few questions.

1.) Because I tried to install DVDx and DVDx 3.4 and got errors, should I worry, or is it not a big deal?

2.) I was only told I had the option of installing Homebrew when I executed the exploit, and was told I could only use BootMii as an IOS and never promted me that it was installing anything. Where can I find a tutorial on how to install BootMII/boot2 as an IOS?

3.) What is WiiMC?
August 27, 2010 05:40PM
Like jbc007 already said, DVDx doesn't go on 4.3, so don't worry about it.

If you used the latest HackMii installer, you already have BootMii/IOS.
-edit-
I didn't read your post carefully. Run the HackMii installer, select the BootMii option, and it will tell you how to install BootMii/boot2.

And WiiMC is a homebrew app. It's a "Media Center", capable of playing back video, viewing various formats of graphics, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2010 05:41PM by Weasel.
August 27, 2010 06:28PM
If I try to run BootMii from the HBC menu, my system shuts down, then has the blue right flash forever, and nothing happens.

I don't think I can go boot2, I think I was told I HAD to go IOS. Please advise.
August 28, 2010 12:52AM
Nothing you have to worry about regarding the errors you got when you tried to install DVDx. They were just messages indicating that it could not be installed. But don't worry, as said before, it is no longer necessary if you are under 4.3.

Wiis that came out after 2008 can not install BootMii as Boot2, that is why you are not given this option.

BootMii is already installed as an IOS, that is why you see the option 'Launch BootMii' in your HBC. However, in order to launch BootMii you have to have a prepared BootMii SD card inserted in the Wii.

If you have not prepared your SD card for BootMii, enter the HackMii installer and select 'Prepare SD Card', this will copy all necessary files into it. Now when you select launch bootmii from HBC, and if you have the card inserted, bootmii will launch.
October 31, 2010 08:01PM
jbc007
Keep in mind that if your wii was purchased within the past year, it is likely that it is unable to play DVDs.

@ jbc007: What exactly is the reason that the DVD will not work? i am trying to get the Wii to play DVD's, i bought the box Dec 2009 and had 4.2 on it, i used bannerbomb to get HBC1.0.6 that also installed DVDX as i noticed when i updated it to 1.0.8 this afternoon (hackmii showed it was installed and i was able to uninstall which i did not)

All Mediaplayers give an error when trying to play any video dvd (dutch/Euro region), giving invallid data on disk.

I hope there is still a way of getting it to work.

re,
inkey
October 31, 2010 11:55PM
New disc drives are unable to read DVDs. Most likely, this was yet another of Nintendo's unsuccessful attempts to prevent piracy. Though interestingly, these drives first appeared shortly after pirates found other ways to run their pirated games. Obviously, this completely nullified the purpose of the newer drives. Aside from installing an older drive in your wii, there is nothing you can do about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 11:58PM by jbc007.
November 21, 2010 08:27PM
You could always just run movies from a usb hard drive if you really want to watch them using your wii.
November 22, 2010 09:39AM
grmbl, ok so i'm stuck with a crippled DVD drive, i *did* have all working on USBloader on the 160G usb drive, untill i upgraded the Wii menu :S Homebrew is still working, as browser and such, just the USBdisk is not recognised anymore now, lets hope for an update soon.

I wanted to use the Wii for the Karaoke set (not a Wii, but standalone) that i got my little girl for het birthday and hoped i could connect it between the Wii and the TV as that was the easiest solution for cables and in the centre of the room (easy for mics). I could burn the DVD on ISO and soon as the USBloader works again i can put it on there, but i'll have to teach her how to start it all (shes only 6) i guess i'll have to check [[b]Removed[/b]] and get a channel then for her :)

anyways thatks a LOT for your information, this at least shows me i was not going n00b and explains why it didn't work :)
inkey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 09:53AM by bg4545.
November 22, 2010 09:50AM
Backup/USB Loaders, Wii ISOs, and WADs are not to be discussed. Read the rules.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.