Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

In over my head...

Posted by andrea22k 
In over my head...
September 10, 2010 12:56AM
Hi... I am so non-computer friendly... and I have been trying to understand the directions for installing the software on my wii...

I do not own any of the three games/download things that are offered. Is there any way around this?

Sorry if this seems so silly. I searched the forums and didn't get a clear answer. I have an English degree... this stuff is a little over my head, but my son wants to watch dvds!
Re: In over my head...
September 10, 2010 02:43AM
If you are on System Menu 4.3 (you can check by going to "Wii Options", then System Settings and in the upper-righthand corner it will show your version) then you must have one of these three games: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, LEGO Indiana Jones, or Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Wheelie Breakers.
You also need an SD card that is less than 2GB in size. (In between 512MB - 2GB is recommended.)
Also, depending on how new the Wii is, the DVD drive will not read anything but official Wii game discs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 03:18AM by bg4545.
September 10, 2010 03:13AM
I'll take a crack at answering this to the best of my ability since nobody else has yet.
This is from my own experience and reading up on stuff...which does take a good long time but can be done.

First off, you can't play DVD without something to help the Wii along. If your Wii is too new, it won't do it anyway. If that's all you want to do, disregard EVERYTHING I'm about to say and buy a cheap DVD player. If you are wanting to have some fun with stuff that "normal" Wii systems aren't supposed to do and possibly without the guarantee of playing DVD, continue.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your first goal is going to be to install the Homebrew Channel, but remember, this VOIDS your warranty!! I'm sure you have read the risks? I'm assuming you're saying "why, yes! I've read the risks and I am willing to take the risks involved. Let's get to it!"

Your options in general seem to be modding your Wii with a chip (not really a good idea for your needs that you stated...and risky), or using one of the hacks. There is no way around it without either a chip or one of the games! Especially if you are as computer illiterate as you claim so let's just pretend chips don't exist...ok?

If you don't own either of the games, go RENT it or something. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is quite a good game anyway and it is probably going to be worth buying just to play anyway and the Smash Stack is VERY easy to do.

Next: BUY A 2 GIG SD CARD. It's cheap. It's going to help you. It's going to be your friend. Sandisk seems to work really well. (Plus after you've installed Homebrew Channel, you can use it to put apps on! YAY!!)

Now, here is a link to some very well written instructions right on this site. NOTE: Anytime the instructions mention a specific app there is a link there to download it.
[wiibrew.org]

Now look for the app you want on the apps page [wiibrew.org] I am using WiiMC and it seems to work for me. If nothing else, you'll have a decent media player.

I went through all the trouble to say this because if someone would have told me right up front, it might have helped me, too.

-=^_^=- ~Angua~

*Edited cuz I'm a blabbermoth and post got too long.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 04:41AM by Anguawolf.
September 10, 2010 03:57AM
how new is your wii? If all you're looking to do is play DVDs on it, we might save you some time and trouble since if you have a newer wii, it will not be possible to play DVDs anyway.
September 10, 2010 04:33PM
Do just as Anguawolf said.

She (I'm assuming it's a she) has said everything you would need to know.

But stating again... If the only reason you want to go through all this is to play DVD's in your Wii, better you don't! They might not play very well, or not play at all if you own a new Wii model.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login