Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noob questions!! Wide range of topics.

Posted by irishpunk 
Noob questions!! Wide range of topics.
September 10, 2010 02:30AM
I really want to try this homebrew thing out. It looks really awesome! I have a few questions before I give it a go.
I have system version 4.3u and I will use the indypawns option to get it installed.
My first question is about my games that I have downloaded from the wii game store. If I run this homebrew install will I lose them?
Is there any system prep I should do before installing the homebrew... like a system backup or a nand backup?(I know that there is an option for a nand backup from the installer if I can install it as boot2.(I think this is correct if I am retaining all the info I am reading).
Also I do not have an external HDD to use at this time. Is it still feasible to do this mod without an external HDD?(I'll be getting one for this sole purpose in a month or so.)
Can I still run netflix from the disc?(If I can't do this from disc then it's a deal breaker until I get a HDD. My kid and wife will kill me if I screw up being able to play netflix!!!)
What is the best dvd player for homebrew?(One of the main reasons why I am dong this.)
Any noob tips or info that maybe helpful is greatly appreciated. I think this is all I have for now. Thanks for any and all help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 02:30AM by irishpunk.
Re: Noob questions!! Wide range of topics.
September 10, 2010 02:51AM
irishpunk
My first question is about my games that I have downloaded from the wii game store. If I run this homebrew install will I lose them?
No
irishpunk
Is there any system prep I should do before installing the homebrew... like a system backup or a nand backup?(I know that there is an option for a nand backup from the installer if I can install it as boot2.(I think this is correct if I am retaining all the info I am reading).
You would make a NAND backup after installing homebrew. You install BootMii (preferably as boot2) as well as the Homebrew Channel and then make a backup using BootMii.
irishpunk
Also I do not have an external HDD to use at this time. Is it still feasible to do this mod without an external HDD?(I'll be getting one for this sole purpose in a month or so.)
Yes, you can store your homebrew applications, homebrew games, and media on your SD card or USB flash drive, but obviously a HDD has more space.
irishpunk
Can I still run netflix from the disc?(If I can't do this from disc then it's a deal breaker until I get a HDD. My kid and wife will kill me if I screw up being able to play netflix!!!)
Yes you can still run any official discs and channels including Netflix.
irishpunk
What is the best dvd player for homebrew?(One of the main reasons why I am doing this.)
WiiMC is the most current media app at the moment, but I don't use my Wii as a DVD player so I'm not entirely sure of the pros and cons of each other app. WiiMC would most likely be best.
September 10, 2010 02:54AM
Thanks for the quick response.. Another question for you(since you seem all knowing so far!) I see a bootmini.elf file on the installer zip file I downloaded.. what is it?
September 10, 2010 03:02AM
bootmini.elf is an executable for users who already have BootMii. BootMii runs a replacement of IOS (basically the Wii's "operating system") which is called MINI (stands for "MINI Is Not IOS). bootmini.elf is the HackMii Installer, made to run on MINI rather than IOS. Since you don't have BootMii yet and you are using a game exploit, you do not need bootmini.elf. I hope this makes some sense.
September 10, 2010 03:14AM
Makes perfect sense. Thanks again for the quick and knowledgeable reply.
September 10, 2010 03:33AM
Ok, along that same lines of the bootmini.elf, I have a question. After you have installed HBC, is it ok to delete the .elf files from the SD card? I'm guessing they aren't used anymore especially by Smash Bros (since that's what I used and now if I play Smash Bros with the SD in the slot, it turns my Wii into a screaming banshee when it tries to pick certain levels to play on).
Yes, I'm brave enough to try this on my own, but it might be a good idea to hear from someone more experienced to make sure. I just don't want to be bothered to unplug the SD from the Wii just to put the .elf back on. I'm lazy that way. =D (Hey, I could have used the excuse that other inquiring minds may want to know also!)

~Angua~
September 10, 2010 04:52AM
I unplugged my sd card and created an apps folder and placed the homebrew browser on it and rebooted my wii and it picked it right up. I can't tell you if you could delete the files but I would assume so. The app had already installed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 04:53AM by irishpunk.
September 10, 2010 04:55AM
Go ahead and delete all of the HackMii Installer files and Smash Stack files from your SD card. Once the Homebrew Channel is installed, it will run from your Wii. Keep in mind that any apps you have still need to be on the SD card, as well as BootMii's files, which are needed if you use BootMii.
September 10, 2010 04:55AM
I have another question. I have installed the HB Browser and I downloaded a few apps but I can't figure out how to get anything to run. I put my netflix cd in but it can't get an interface to run it.. I feel really dumb.. how can I get to it and my games I downloaded from the wii game shop channel
September 10, 2010 05:20AM
irishpunk
I have another question. I have installed the HB Browser and I downloaded a few apps but I can't figure out how to get anything to run. I put my netflix cd in but it can't get an interface to run it.. I feel really dumb.. how can I get to it and my games I downloaded from the wii game shop channel
You run them from the Wii menu like you normally would. The Homebrew Browser is for downloading homebrew apps to run from the Homebrew Channel.
September 11, 2010 05:14AM
irishpunk

Hold on...huh? I'm not understanding the question either. It sounds as if you are trying to run the netflix cd and your wii ware that you bought off the shop channel through the HB Browser.

Here's what I'm doing if it helps you: I have HB Browser in the HB Channel and run it from there. The HB Browser lets you browse through HB apps and games if you have internet connection and will even install them for you so that it's almost easy as cake. Unless it's intended otherwise, anything it installs will show up in the HB Channel. It should run from there also. If installed something like an emulator that requires a rom or some other image from an outside source and you don't have one or it's in the wrong folder, it's not going to do much.

Netflix and your other shop channel games should not be affected and should work just like they always do from the main screen and NOT through HB Channel or HB Browser. If yours isn't, are you sure you didn't install something from the HB Browser that maybe you shouldn't have such as some kind of system software changer? Something along the lines of a system downgrade or something?
September 11, 2010 12:36PM
In HBC, hit the Home button on your remote and choose "Return to System Menu". Or just restart your Wii.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login