Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's the point of BootMii as an ios

Posted by Saint 
What's the point of BootMii as an ios
September 12, 2010 09:29PM
Isn't the purpose of bootmii is the fact that it loads up before your Wii does so if you get bricked you can do a NAND Back up? So what's the point of people who have newer Wii's and can only install Bootmii as an IOS?
Re: What's the point of BootMii as an ios
September 12, 2010 09:58PM
That is one of the points of BootMii boot2, but the other point of BootMii (boot2 and IOS) is to run MINI.
September 12, 2010 10:59PM
I would also note that it's better having it as an IOS that not having it at all. The chances of recovering from a brick are alot worse when you just have Priiloader (though I think that there still might be a chance of installing bootmii while only having Priiloader available. Not sure though).

It makes no difference if you ever nuke your NAND for some or other reasons (cuz bootmii would die along with the rest of the NAND), but if you can't install it to boot2... well, that's the best brick protection you can afford.

Of course, there are... other... ways to keep you 100% brick free. But it was recently deemed inappropriate to discuss it since the method (or better said, program) contains stuff these guys would rather live without.
September 13, 2010 03:45AM
Magil
I would also note that it's better having it as an IOS that not having it at all. The chances of recovering from a brick are alot worse when you just have Priiloader (though I think that there still might be a chance of installing bootmii while only having Priiloader available. Not sure though).

Bootmii/IOS will never help you recover from a brick (I can think of only one exception to this, where Bootmii/IOS is actually necessary for recovery, but it is extremely rare and Bootmii/boot2 would still, of course, be better). Restoring a NAND backup with Bootmii/IOS is dangerous, and if you can run Bootmii/IOS at all (except in that rare situation), there is a better way to fix a brick.
September 13, 2010 11:38PM
So is there really any point whatsoever to installing BootMii as an IOS, then? I'm interested in doing it myself, but I would like to know (in plain terms) what, if any, benefits would come from doing so.
September 14, 2010 12:05AM
You can make a NAND dump with it. If your wii ever bricks, you can restore said NAND dump with a hardware NAND programmer (this isn't exactly easy). Also, you can run MINI applications from it (there are very few of these).
September 14, 2010 02:26AM
jbc007
Also, you can run MINI applications from it (there are very few of these).
...very few of these so far.
September 14, 2010 07:41AM
bg4545
jbc007

So, as an average user who uses HBC for Gecko OS, should I even bother? I heard that there could be a certain level of risk involved with installing BootMii as an IOS with official updates (or perhaps that's with BootMii as a boot2...).
September 14, 2010 04:15PM
nintendude
bg4545
jbc007

So, as an average user who uses HBC for Gecko OS, should I even bother? I heard that there could be a certain level of risk involved with installing BootMii as an IOS with official updates (or perhaps that's with BootMii as a boot2...).

There is absolutely no risk with the updates by having BootMii installed either as an IOS or in Boot2.

The worst thing that can happen is that an update removes BootMii as an IOS by replacing it with a stub IOS, but nothing bad would happen to your Wii, just that you wouldn't be able to run BootMii as an IOS unless you uninstall the stub and reinstall BootMii :)
September 14, 2010 08:51PM
If you have installed the latest HBC, or even just run the latest HackMii Installer, BootMii/IOS is already installed. It's installed automatically by HackMii Installer 0.6+.
September 15, 2010 07:35AM
SifJar
If you have installed the latest HBC, or even just run the latest HackMii Installer, BootMii/IOS is already installed. It's installed automatically by HackMii Installer 0.6+.

Ok, so how would I access it or is it something that just runs in the background?
September 15, 2010 02:58PM
Press Home at HBC, and it will show you an option to launch bootmii. Make sure you have a SD prepared with bootmii files inserted, otherwise your Wii will hang up with black screen when you select it.
September 16, 2010 07:59PM
Axel
Press Home at HBC, and it will show you an option to launch bootmii. Make sure you have a SD prepared with bootmii files inserted, otherwise your Wii will hang up with black screen when you select it.

Where do I get the files or do I already have them with the latest HBC?
September 16, 2010 11:37PM
Launch Hackmii installer and select the option 'Prepare SD Card'.

This will copy all the files you need into your SD card in order to launch Bootmii.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login