Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Random lock-ups of multiple homebrew

Posted by Mestizo 
Random lock-ups of multiple homebrew
September 26, 2010 01:00PM
Here's my issues. Every month, I take my Wii to a gaming club for an all-night party. However, lately, and only there, my Homebrew Channel does some odd stuff. Here's some examples I picked up.

Homebrew Channel itself:
Laggy boot-up after hitting Start (Only happened once. Took 10 seconds from hitting start to the menu actually showing up)

WiiDoom:
Always had a DSI error when loading

Snes9xGX:
Cannot turn off Wii with remote
Crashes when someone changes controller or points at screen with remote
Controller slot (1st player, 2nd player) trade positions randomly (This even happens when not at the club)

Virtual Boy Advance GX:
Random crashes mid-game

Any idea what might be causing this? I believe it's because of lack of internet. Most of the time, I was forced to load one of my regular disks/channels, or change to a different system to entertain everyone.
Re: Random lock-ups of multiple homebrew
September 26, 2010 06:38PM
These issues are all independent of each other. There is no correlation between them.

WiiDoom:
Always had a DSI error when loading
You have the wrong set-up on your SD Card.

Snes9xGX:
Cannot turn off Wii with remote
Crashes when someone changes controller or points at screen with remote
Controller slot (1st player, 2nd player) trade positions randomly (This even happens when not at the club)
Update to the latest version or file an issue report [code.google.com]

Virtual Boy Advance GX:
Random crashes mid-game
Update to the latest version or file an issue report [code.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 06:39PM by Arikado.
September 26, 2010 06:39PM
But how come said issues happen when only at that one location?
September 26, 2010 07:28PM
That location is haunted!!! xD

Try turning off internet connection in your settings before going there. But those issues have nothing to do one with each other :)
September 26, 2010 07:43PM
I did, and it still happens. In fact, this time, disabling the internet was the first thing I did, and VBA GX kept crashing.

Also, I downloaded WiiDoom via Homebrew Browser. Everything else was a manual install.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 07:53PM by Mestizo.
September 26, 2010 07:54PM
It is possible that the same bug in the Homebrew Channel that affected Priiloader is at fault here? Maybe try an older version of the Homebrew Channel or launching the offending apps directly with an exploit.
September 26, 2010 08:03PM
Well, if this bug happens at the same rate even at home, then I'll have no choice but to uninstall Homebrew Channel, as it would be unplayable. If it does not crash at home with an internet connection as opposed to having no internet settings on the Wii at all, then I just don't bring the Wii.
September 26, 2010 08:16PM
The internet connection settings have nothing to do with any of these issues.

I've been told by multiple people that the HBB didn't update the directory settings with the latest WiiDOOM release causing it to crash. I recommend completely uninstalling it from your SD Card and manually installing it.

Regarding the emulators, I stick to my original suggestion of manually updating them and reporting bugs to Tantric via Google Code is problems persist.
September 26, 2010 09:50PM
The emulators are at the latest update (Snes9x is 4.2.4 and VBA GX is 2.2.1). Maybe it was some odd glitch that happened on coincidence, because I tested both emulators a little while ago and here's what happened.

VBA:
Tested Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (The game that was causing a majority of the crashes). Finished a dungeon with no problems.

Snes9x
Tested Killer Instinct (It crashed after 2 matches). No problems
Tested Yoshi's Island (Only showed the words "A long long time ago" and froze). Worked, but with some boosted speed.
Tested Super Metroid (Odd discoloring, couldn't enter emulator menu). Worked perfectly.

I also have FCE Ultra GX and Genesis Plus. Those work perfectly, even in multi-player. It's just Snes9x and VBA GX that get random DSI errors, and mostly at the gaming club.

I'm also asking the co-owner if he could set up wi-fi again and, if he could, if I could get permission to access it via Wii, as it seems to me and him that the system stability is questioned about the lack of internet (It once showed the error that the Wii's system files were corrupt when opening the Homebrew Channel last month, but it's working now)

I know there's nothing wrong with the emulators, just the location of the Wii in general. I hooked up the Wii on 3 TVs in my house. One TV couldn't recieve the remote's signal, despite being 4 feet from the screen and the sensor. I also brought it to my mother's, who has a DSL connection with an access point. It worked perfectly. It's just at the gaming club where all these problems happen, and the system's hooked up where no harm would happen to it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 09:56PM by Mestizo.
September 26, 2010 10:39PM
All of Tantric's latest versions of his apps are prone to crash if your Wii is not connected to the internet. Even WiiMC (but this one seems to crash with alot less frequency). It's all because of IOS58... God, how I hate IOS58. Yes, you heard me well. I said I HATE IOS58. There. Hmph.

Just look at Priiloader v0.5 and it's amazing brickin' power. But enough about that...

You should try using the latest version of Tantric's emulators that still support IOS202 for now. I had to switch to those for the time being, and I sincerely feel satisfied. Tantric won't be updating his emulators for a while (dunno how long, but I think he's waiting for all issues with IOS58 and HBC to be sorted out first).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 10:40PM by Magil.
September 26, 2010 10:46PM

One TV couldn't recieve(sic) the remote's signal

um, not really how it works. Sounds like you just have some coincidences popping up because these things are not related to anything you are describing.

are there a bunch of other wiis at the geek club... i mean gaming club?
September 26, 2010 11:24PM
What TV you use does not affect your Wii's performance. You could actually use the Wii without a TV connected to it at all.

Your internet connection settings do not affect your Wii's performance
(unless of course you're running code made to use the Internet. Ex: Wifi gaming.)

Your problems are not unique to the location where you are using your Wii.

Your problems are all end-user errors. In other words, they are your fault. Not the "gaming club's" fault. Yours.

Now that I got that off my chest, try this: Run the IOS 58 installer and see if the emulators give you better results.

Also, please update me on the status of whether my WiiDOOM suggestions were successful for you or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 11:25PM by Arikado.
September 27, 2010 12:49AM
Magil
All of Tantric's latest versions of his apps are prone to crash if your Wii is not connected to the internet. Even WiiMC (but this one seems to crash with alot less frequency). It's all because of IOS58... God, how I hate IOS58. Yes, you heard me well. I said I HATE IOS58. There. Hmph.

Just look at Priiloader v0.5 and it's amazing brickin' power. But enough about that...

You should try using the latest version of Tantric's emulators that still support IOS202 for now. I had to switch to those for the time being, and I sincerely feel satisfied. Tantric won't be updating his emulators for a while (dunno how long, but I think he's waiting for all issues with IOS58 and HBC to be sorted out first).

I believe that the problem is not with IOS 58, it is with not reloading IOS when launching the HBC. There is a bug in the Homebrew Channel that causes apps, such as the Priiloader installer, to crash when run without an Internet connection.

If "no_ios_reload/" is present in the meta.xml file, you may try to run the app by removing that tag. However, some of the features of the app will not work if IOS is reloaded, and some may not function at all.
September 27, 2010 02:10AM
Arikado
What TV you use does not affect your Wii's performance. You could actually use the Wii without a TV connected to it at all.

Your internet connection settings do not affect your Wii's performance
(unless of course you're running code made to use the Internet. Ex: Wifi gaming.)

Your problems are not unique to the location where you are using your Wii.

Your problems are all end-user errors. In other words, they are your fault. Not the "gaming club's" fault. Yours.

Now that I got that off my chest, try this: Run the IOS 58 installer and see if the emulators give you better results.

Also, please update me on the status of whether my WiiDOOM suggestions were successful for you or not.

I uninstalled WiiDoom and re-installed it as described on it's page. It's still crashing once I load Doom 1

As for the "No_ios_reload" tag, deleting it seemed to have fixed the problem. I disabled the internet and played around with both affected emulators, no crashes. Since IOS58 and IOS202 seem to describe use of USB devices, I have no need (I have a 4GB SDHC card for my homebrew stuff)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 02:14AM by Mestizo.
September 27, 2010 04:06PM
Arikado

Now that I got that off my chest, try this...

ROFL Arikado you just made my day xD

Winmaster
I believe that the problem is not with IOS 58, it is with not reloading IOS when launching the HBC. There is a bug in the Homebrew Channel that causes apps, such as the Priiloader installer, to crash when run without an Internet connection.

This is completely correct. The reason behind the crashing of several apps has nothing to do with IOS58 (It could even not be there!). It is because the NO_IOS_RELOAD. The reason for using this tag is (mainly) to provide DVD support, given that now DVDX has been dropped behind, HBC sets HW_AHBPROT flag on, granting hardware access. If the IOS is reloaded, the flag set is lost, then DVD access is lost as well.

Many people tend to think that the new IOS installers do their stuff through IOS58, but that is wrong, they do it through HW_AHBPROT. What they do is only to detect if IOS58 is installed, so they conclude that if the application was launched through HBC 1.0.7+ and IOS58 exists, then HW_AHBPROT is enabled, and make use of it for direct NAND writing.

If applications that require HW_AHBPROT flag to be set on by HBC are launched directly through an exploit, they will not get direct hardware access just as if you had removed the NO_IOS_RELOAD tag. They won't be able to access the DVD or other hardware.

So the applications that are crashing on NO_IOS_RELOAD are because a faulty implementation of HW_AHBPROT, since its use has not been completely perfectioned. However, there are applications (made by the same Team Twiizers devs *sigh*) which work perfect with this flag, such as the Wii port of ScummVM, which is maintained by dhewg.

Get over that IOS58 hating, IOS58 is good; it's HW_AHBPROT use which needs to be improved as it is now replacing DVDX :)
September 27, 2010 04:28PM
Mestizo
I uninstalled WiiDoom and re-installed it as described on it's page. It's still crashing once I load Doom 1

As for the "No_ios_reload" tag, deleting it seemed to have fixed the problem. I disabled the internet and played around with both affected emulators, no crashes. Since IOS58 and IOS202 seem to describe use of USB devices, I have no need (I have a 4GB SDHC card for my homebrew stuff)
Shareware or fullware DOOM 1?

If the "No_ios_reload" tag was your problem then you should update your HBC (latest version is 1.0.8). If you're already on the latest version of it then you should really install IOS 58 as the HBC is designed to run on it by default.

Regarding HW_AHBPROT: It replaces DVDX and is actually easier to use and provides more functions to programmers than DVDX did (USB 2.0 for example). The downside of course is that it causes problems for people not using 1.0.8 of the HBC and running apps that require AHBPROT (WiiMC, Tantric's emulators).
September 27, 2010 07:27PM
Arikado
Mestizo

Shareware or fullware DOOM 1?

If the "No_ios_reload" tag was your problem then you should update your HBC (latest version is 1.0.8). If you're already on the latest version of it then you should really install IOS 58 as the HBC is designed to run on it by default.

Regarding HW_AHBPROT: It replaces DVDX and is actually easier to use and provides more functions to programmers than DVDX did (USB 2.0 for example). The downside of course is that it causes problems for people not using 1.0.8 of the HBC and running apps that require AHBPROT (WiiMC, Tantric's emulators).

I am on HBC 1.0.8 running on IOS58. And it's the version of Doom that comes with WiiDoom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login