Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

a way to fix bricked wii's

Posted by calthephenom 
a way to fix bricked wii's
September 05, 2009 04:32AM
could it be possible to build a loader that goes before bootmii/preloader that looks for a restore disc with a recent iso? that way when you install bootmii it installs a wad for restoring semi/fully bricked wii's? just incase your wii does happen to brick that it looks for the ios and installs it?
Re: a way to fix bricked wii's
September 05, 2009 07:32AM
....or restore a NAND dump from Bootmii
September 05, 2009 01:24PM
calthephenom
could it be possible to build a loader that goes before bootmii/preloader
already impossible, you CANNOT modify boot1 and since boot2 is bootmii whats the point. Yes you could theoretically replace bootmii with another loader which then loads bootmii afterwards but that would create and even greater time distance between turning on and getting to the wii menu.

its more sensible to put in the check directly into bootmii.
September 05, 2009 03:41PM
If you already have preloader, why do you need another brick fix tool? And as said above, boot2 (where bootmii is installed) is the earliest place in the boot process that can be modified.
September 05, 2009 05:36PM
I'm sure we could write a MINI app that does that provided your Wii has the necessary IOSs.
September 05, 2009 05:41PM
What, like an app that installs all the wads in the "unbrickWADs" folder?
September 05, 2009 06:45PM
That should probably be possible, Comex's NAND formatter installs WADs, and it runs from MINI. You'd just leave out the Formatter bit.
September 05, 2009 06:54PM
And where can I find this? Google hasn't been much of a help to me.
September 05, 2009 06:56PM
Comex's NAND formatter? Not sure, I'll try and find it...

Here's the git: [github.com]

That has to be compiled with the MINI toolchain, which must also be compiled, and you need to be running Linux to compile either of them, AFAIK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2009 06:58PM by SifJar.
September 05, 2009 06:57PM
It'd be good if there was a Wiibrew page on it.
September 05, 2009 06:59PM
It's not really the sort of thing that needs a WiiBrew page...it WILL delete everything on your console, then install a couple of WADs. Its not that useful for many people, because it will wipe everything on your wii, so you're almost always better to restore a NAND dump, which most people take after they install BootMii.
September 05, 2009 07:01PM
Hmm. Sounds interesting. I should check it out something about it.

I have Linux, but I don't know how to compile. lol.
September 05, 2009 07:03PM
Find the MINI toolchain, compile it, use it to compile NAND Formatter. How hard can it be? =P
September 05, 2009 07:05PM
I don't know. I am a complete n00b at programming. I just installed Linux Mint because I like to use free software. As a matter of fact I boot into Linux a lot more Windows. Everything just fits together nicely to me. anyway, thats enough of me rambling on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2009 07:05PM by metroid_maniac.
September 05, 2009 07:38PM
I was joking, I wouldn't have a clue how to even START compiling any of that stuff. I dont even really understand what a toolchain IS, let alone how to compile one.
September 05, 2009 07:41PM
lol. Is it open source? If so, TT should implement it into Ceiling Cat. Bootmii should be for all Low Level system modifications and nothing more. Well, HBC loading too :-)
September 05, 2009 07:43PM
Is what open source?
September 05, 2009 07:45PM
Comex' NAND formatter. If it was then I think it should be implemented in Bootmii.
September 05, 2009 07:50PM
I dont think so actually. N00bs may accidently select it, not knowing what they're doing/having been told to by some nasty person, and then lose EVERYTHING on their wii. not many people will need it, so i'd say its best to make it hard for n00bs to run by accident. although, perhaps without the formatter part it'd be a good addition. just the wad installing part. provided checks where put in place to make sure the wads where IOS and System Menu WADs, not warez stuff.
September 05, 2009 07:54PM
Mybe a Warning with a timeout length similar to that of the Hackmii Installer. (BTW, I have read "Timing is everything" on Hackmii) This is why I want Parental Controls in Bootmii for Beta 4. (password protected?)

EDIT: maybe an option just to install the WADs in a later release? (if there is one)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2009 07:55PM by metroid_maniac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login