Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Virtual Jaguar SDL port

Posted by realbrucest 
Virtual Jaguar SDL port
October 25, 2009 05:05PM
I was reading an article about 5th generation consoles when I remembered there was that open-source project for Atari Jaguar emulation.

[Official] Virtual Jaguar/SDL v1.0.7 thread at emuforums.

There's a PSP port already, it runs slow and it has been discontinued from a very early beta I'm afraid (I don't pay much attention to PSP scene, so I can be wrong). Anyhow wii hardware might help to speed things up.

I used to code as a hobby but nowadays I'm sort of handicapped although I do like to follow the evolution of homebrew projects. Because of that I guess this possible port could require a development process very similar to Arikado's desmume port (SDL/OpenGL based). By the way, was Gx2GL good enough for desmume necessities? Tantric's SDL seems to work awesomely but perhaps GL wrapper could be not so helpful. I'll keep tuned to Arikado's blog and well... to any interested coder, please remember that Virtual Jaguar can be an interesting project ;)
Re: Virtual Jaguar SDL port
October 25, 2009 06:28PM
I'd be in full support of this if it werent for the fact that in their SVN thread the coder states it isnt quite optimised for speed, and compatibility. Dont get me wrong here when I say that, cause it's a great emulator, but porting it over at present would seem like a huge headache for whomever that does it. I say this, cause the emulator just isnt optimised to handle w/e end users will throw at it, and typically emulators with good compatibility and speed are chosen as port candidates. This being ported would give a wrong impression at this point, as it would have people thinking the emulator was chosen, cause it had both good compatibility and speed....When in fact it doesnt atm.

That and the fact that whoever chooses to port it would have quite a bit of work to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 06:31PM by nightwishfan1.
October 25, 2009 07:05PM
Regarding DeSmuME:

profetylen and I ported the DeSmuME PSP front-end to Wii but were unsuccessful so far in getting ROMs to run. We need to go through a complicated debugging process now and fix whatever is going wrong. Yeah, I'll keep the blog updated and I intend to be setting up an svn for the project ASAP so people can see how hard we're working.

Regarding SDL:

It's truly a perfect port of SDL. It can be used to port any program that relies solely on it with minimal effort. If the jaguar port relies solely on SDL, all it takes is literally a redirected makefile an you'll be good to go. (Of course, there are some things that will need to be changed like linking in libfat and redirecting loading paths and modifying input and what not - but its all very rudimentary)

Regarding gl2gx:

All it does is basically rewrite all of the OpenGL functions using GX. I haven't actually tested any of them (I don't pretend to be an OpenGL guru) but they would appear to all be in working order. Scanff was testing it out and came into some trouble; but he messed around with the source and overcame his issue. Once I was understand everything that occurred I was going to (with scanffs permission) do a blog post on the scenario and the updates to the source needed to overcome the issue. Anyways, in short, it seems to be in good well working order.

Regarding me:

I'm unable to develop or code anything for a little while. Once I overcome the issue preventing me from working, I'll be able to get into way more detail regarding everything here.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 07:07PM by Arikado.
October 25, 2009 09:16PM
Regarding gl2gx:

All it does is basically rewrite all of the OpenGL functions using GX. I haven't actually tested any of them (I don't pretend to be an OpenGL guru) but they would appear to all be in working order. Scanff was testing it out and came into some trouble; but he messed around with the source and overcame his issue. Once I was understand everything that occurred I was going to (with scanffs permission) do a blog post on the scenario and the updates to the source needed to overcome the issue. Anyways, in short, it seems to be in good well working order.

Yes still ironing out some of the bugs but gl2gx is actually pretty complete if you mess around with the source. I need some time to sit down and write up a good guide. Also when it's done I'll update the gl2gx project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 09:16PM by scanff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login