Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Idea for Saved Game Downloader like Codedownloader

Posted by elmoreas 
Idea for Saved Game Downloader like Codedownloader
January 15, 2010 10:25PM
I am looking for an app coder to collaborate with and share 50-50 all rights and prestige for this app with. I have an idea for an app and I am willing and able to do the hard leg work for it I just need someone to do the coding of the app itself, which is no small thing. It would be a app similar to codedownloader where you could download saved games instead of codes. They would be installed directly into the Private->Wii->Title Subfolder already in their titled folder with the data.bin file in it, that I would provide. I have 117 Legit (I dont pirate or make backups) Wii Disc games, 17 Legit Gamecube Games, and 165 Legit Wii Ware/VC games and I have saved games of high quality for many of them and am willing to make, through hardcore gaming and legit playing, saved games for the rest. With that we could build a library of saved game files that would be awesome. We would just need an app that could be downloaded preferably by homebrew broweser as well by normal download, that would direct people to one of my websites where I would host the files for download as well as the app for download. My web hosting service has unlimited disk space and unlimited traffic so no worries there. I can set it up as an FTP if necessary or I can leave it as a website and set it up as a database like wiird's code database. I can do the website part so again no worries there either. Anyways those details could be worked out later, what I would need help with is writing the app that would allow people to browse and download the files and then have it put them in the right place on the SD card or on the Wii depending on which way the user wants to go. I am not sure if this is possible but it is an idea and I am willing to do the leg work on making the website and the saved games, and I have so many that we could make a fantastic library. This would become a favorite app fast I think, so the presitge would be high. If this is possible and you are interested in collaborating and making this app make a post here and tell me you are interested and tell me what you think about the idea and any ideas you may have for it. If it is not possible to do then please by all means say so, so I don't waste my time chasing a pipe dream. If you are not interested then thank you for your time, perhaps we can work together on something else later. Thank you all for your time reading this, I look forward to hearing back from you. Have a good day, Talk to you all later. God Bless.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
Re: Idea for Saved Game Downloader like Codedownloader
January 16, 2010 12:29AM
This is a good idea. It seems very possible, AFAIK.
January 16, 2010 12:39AM
just a thought, but why would you go for the .bin format? the savegame installer/extractor uses the unencrypted save contents. so you can install the thing and cut out a step.
January 16, 2010 12:40AM
It wouldn't be very hard either, I don't know anything about the network programming part of it, but it just involves downloading a file, and placing it in a folder. I don't belive there is any type of security on game saves.
January 16, 2010 02:55AM
I went with the .bin format because that is what the files are formated in when you go and get them off your sd card from your Wii but I could always change that, this idea is in the very early stages and open to changes. I am very familar with how saves work and are transfered both with savegame extractor/installer and with websites like wiisave and apps like media manager pro and wii node/wii media player. I trade saves all the time. In fact I am the person who created the Wii save game for Spore that is so popular on all these sites that it has 5 stars on all of them. I also have several other 4 and 5 star saves plus tons of 3 star saves. I have the saves and their creation covered as well as the website and the hosting of the files. I also bring to the table all the knowledge about how to make save files and format them in various ways. What I need is someone who can do the programming of the code for the app itself. If anyone can do the programming and wants to collaborate on this then let me know and perhaps we can get started soon. The app will take some talking about to decide how and what we are going to do with it and what all we want it to be able to do, but once we decide to work together we can figure out a way to talk that is more productive than PM's or posts. Anyways if you are interested let me know. Thanks for your interest.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
January 16, 2010 03:50AM
The only problem is Wi-fi saves will not work...
January 16, 2010 06:19AM
I am not sure what you mean by a Wi-Fi save, I know what Wi-Fi is and I think you are talking about saves from games that are from DLC games or Saves that were made using online play modes in the game. While true some DLC games are copy protected savegame extractor can get around that and once I extract the save game I will have a friend of mine on Wiisave who lives in England, and has an app that makes games that are extracted able to be copied back without savegame installer edit all the saves that fall in this category so no one will have to use save game installer for this app. Don't ask me for the app I don't have it and he won't share it. He takes requests though, see his post in the forums section on wiisave's website its titled something like "savegame conversion... for a price..." . As for games with online play modes when I make the powersaves I will avoid online play modes so they should be able to be shared but if not this will affect only a small number of games out of my library. It will still leave a large repitoire of games with saved game files for people to choose from, and as I get or rent new games I will be able to add more to it and grow the app over time. I also plan to contact several of the major contributors on wiisave, media manager pro's website, and wiinode to see if they will give me the right to redistribute their powersaves for games I do not have, that way the library will be even larger. The only problem at this point is I still have had no hits from anyone interested in doing the coding. I think the idea is sound and it seems likely that it is possible that it could be done, and it also appears that there would be interest in this app. I have the means and will to do the leg work on the non coding part, I just need a partner who can do the coding part. That won't be easy and it will take some doing so I understand that most programmers have their own apps they are already working on and don't have time for this, but I am hoping one finishes their app soon and sees this and likes the idea and contacts me and we can get the ball rolling. If someone is interested in partnering with me on this and doing the coding but is busy right now but will be free soon please let me know so I can stop looking for a programmer and start making saves. Or if you need something from me first to prove I am serious about making this app happen, and you are serious about doing the coding, let me know and I will provide whatever information you need to prove I am serious. Or on the flip side if you are a programmer and you think this is not feasible or that it is a bad idea, please say that too, I can take constructive criticism, I would prefer to know now and not waste anymore time on an app that CANNOT ever happen, or is just a bad idea. Thanks in advance to those who respond. Have a good evening.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
January 16, 2010 08:01AM
As you mentioned, this is similar to Code Downloader and HBB; hopefully one of those guys would be willing to lend a hand. There is some example network source code at the bottom of the HBB page.
January 16, 2010 12:13PM
If you don't find a coder you could try learn programming yourself (yes, it's fun) since you seem very eager to create this app. However I also see no reason why this app wouldn't be possible.

BTW, I unfortunately do not think this app would be allowed on the Homebrew Browser due to the fact it requires you to modify the Wii's NAND.
January 16, 2010 03:36PM
profetylen
BTW, I unfortunately do not think this app would be allowed on the Homebrew Browser due to the fact it requires you to modify the Wii's NAND.
Maybe it could to save to SD and let the Wii itself move the saves over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2010 03:36PM by Arikado.
January 16, 2010 04:05PM
Arikado
profetylen
Maybe it could to save to SD and let the Wii itself move the saves over.

Yes! Good idea!
January 16, 2010 06:25PM
Got a hit from a programmer this app may actually happen now. We are going to start work on the app now I think. So long as things work out which so far they look like they will so wish us luck and I will talk to you all later.

Elmoreas

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2010 02:07AM by elmoreas.
January 17, 2010 02:06AM
I took some of my random saves from some of my each of my Wiis and put them in a folder and zipped them and put them on the website that I plan to use for this project. I wanted to test and see if people can use the .bin fomat. If anyone is willing to help test this theory pleaase go to [www.mymainbackup.com] and download the zip file and follow the instructions below the download and then post back here and tell me if you were able to install the saves and use them on your system okay. They are not uber saves just regular saves, I did this so I could collect the maximum amount of game saves possible, to increase the chances someone would have one of the games on the list and therefore be able to test the theory. Anyways if you are willing to take the time to test this you will help us with the development of this app and your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance to those that choose to help. Talk to you all later.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
January 17, 2010 07:55AM
i dont know how to code yet(i'm learning) but i could test the app if you want to
January 17, 2010 09:39AM
Right now I need people to go to my website www.mymainbackup.com and download my saves in .bin format and test and see if they work and report back and let me know so we know if we can use the .bin format or not with the app. Once we get the app programmed and I get the saves made and the website setup then we will need all kinds of testers for the app itself. Of course it is going to be a while cause beating that many games is going to take a while even with some hard core playing. Anyways if you test the saves let me know if they work for you. Thanks.

Elmoreas
January 17, 2010 10:16AM
they will work. how do i know? it says on wiibrew. each wii signs it with its own private key, but it can be decrypted with a common key i think. dont think its THE common key, but a common key.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login