Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I need talking points on whether or not this is possible.

Posted by marieresearch 
Re: I need talking points on whether or not this is possible.
February 10, 2010 04:08AM
I had thought about Gecko use. Only issue is you would have to build them.
February 10, 2010 10:50AM
giantpune
you cannot compare the .bin file with anybody else's .bin file due to the fact that they are both encrypted with different keys.

This is an important point that needs highlighting. You cannot have them just send the sd cards in as the files are encrypted with each wii's unique key (someone correct me if I've misunderstood this). To get the key you would have to install a homebrew solution anyway.
February 10, 2010 04:17PM
You were all great, thanks. You’re right—“Is it possible?” is a challenge whereas “is it worth it?” is the more appropriate query.

I have a presentation on February 24 about this to my team. Hopefully, I can try to explain my way through this sounding somewhat confident with enough enthusiasm to make it sound like too much effort to be of value.

If it gets out of control at that meeting, I may be back to ask for some phone numbers. Calling in the backup to talk nerd to a bunch of academics.

I hope that I can repay you someday with my knowledge of vaccination procedures, epidemic outbreaks, and other fun public health stuff =)

Marie
joyfulsisyphus@yahoo.com
February 10, 2010 06:50PM
well it seems that enough is already known about the wiifit data to get most of what you originally wanted to know. you can get the mii name, height, date/time of each test, bmi, balance, and weight. and the homebrew app playstats can already tell you stats about how much the game was played. writing the code to get all this wouldnt take a team of people. 1 person could probably write it in a couple days. it wouldnt be the most eye appealing app, but it would get your data.
February 11, 2010 02:10AM
Thanks for the talking points.
February 11, 2010 02:33AM
I don't know why I am saying this, but here's basically why the "extraction solution" is a bad idea.

1. To do it from the Wii, you need to install homebrew. This violates the warranty of the Wii, and Nintendo will not repair Wiis with homebrew installed.
2. To get any data from Wii Fit at all, using a PC or Wii, you need to write a program to do it, unless you want to have people write stuff down.
2a. You still need to use homebrew to read Wii Fit data from a PC.
3. Wii Fit does not automatically track stats, and there is no good way to do so. People have to manually trigger the event that records their weight and BMI and such. This means that the Hawthorne effect will probably skew results.
4. Unless you also want to pay for broadband Internet for all of these people, there is no way to send data from the Wii to a server. People would have to mail in their SD cards.
5. The data you get from Wii Fit isn't as good as the data you get from clinical checkups. You don't get blood pressure, among other things.
February 11, 2010 02:49AM
Building off WikiFSXs post:

4a)People will need their SD Cards to use the homebrew channel so this could be a problem if people want to continue the test after sending in the SD Cards

5a)In fact, you really can't get any sophisticated data from WiiFit besides vague playtime data and BMI (and perhaps other weak data?) as far as I know.

6)You're looking at spending close to if not a little over 400 USD on each test subject. Ouch.

7)You're going to have to have someone setup to provide tech support to the test subjects. Plugging up a Wii to a TV properly and performing the examination and gathering the data results is not going to be easy for everyone no matter how clearly you instruct people.

8)Since you're spending a significant chunk of money on people to perform this test over a very long period of time you'll probably need an exceptionally strong legal contract written up to ensure they stick to performing what they signed up for. (This is the least of your worries though)

Good luck with your discussion!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 02:49AM by Arikado.
February 11, 2010 03:30PM
Haha. Well, you guys just basically wrote up my presentation for me, so I appreciate it!

I think it's going to go well—I’ll let ya know. I think I can confidently and clearly discuss on the topic now. I barely knew anything before coming to this discussion board, so anything is an improvement. I’ll be back if I have any more questions.

Who knows, maybe I'll install homebrew on my Wii at home now ;)
February 13, 2010 01:28AM
marieresearch
Haha. Well, you guys just basically wrote up my presentation for me, so I appreciate it!

I think it's going to go well—I’ll let ya know. I think I can confidently and clearly discuss on the topic now. I barely knew anything before coming to this discussion board, so anything is an improvement. I’ll be back if I have any more questions.

Who knows, maybe I'll install homebrew on my Wii at home now ;)

Good luck with the presentation! :)

Looks as though we have spread the good news of Homebrew on the Wii to more people! :P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login