Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Logitech Speed Force Compatibility Hack

Posted by Boonle 
Logitech Speed Force Compatibility Hack
January 26, 2014 09:59PM
Dear fellow wiibrew members,

I'm new to this forum, so...hello :). I tried looking for a section where I could find support for things other than Wiis, but it seems this is the only ideas/request section there is on this forum.

I recently stumbled upon a Logitech Speed Force Wireless Wheel; a friend of mine was moving out from his dorm and because his Wii was already broken he told me I could have his wheel or else it was going in the garbage. I thought it would be a nice addition and thought it was PC compatible, and hastily accepted his offer.

To my surprise, I found that this wheel is obsolete, even according to Logitech, but there is one thing I found on the WiiBrew wiki that lead me to search these forums and finally make a post after many hours of Googling. According to the Speed Force link on the WiiBrew Wiki There was a Linux solution that was made to allow the wheels buttons to function. For Windows, however, there wasn't much of a solution, or a follow up, as the page hasn't been updated for over three years. I'm assuming here that the whole project has been scrapped.

Currently, I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro and have the device plugged in. The usb dongle is detected and the wheel is also detected as a HID-compliant game controller in the device manager, and in Control Panel as Wii Cordless Wheel. As the wiki page says that in Windows it is recognized with 11 buttons and 3 axis, I thought it would work. When I try to calibrate the device, the buttons aren't providing feedback or recognition, which makes me come back to the wiki article where some communication with the device via libusb is required in order to get the actual device to start functioning; This is possible in linux with a kernel that is provided but not for Windows.

Because I am not a programmer/coder/homebrewer/whatever-you-call-it, I was wondering if someone could either provide me, as well as the community, with a solution OR even redirect me to a page or another place where I could find a solution, OR help me complete the steps mentioned in the wiki - even if the axis are corrupted. I don't know how to setup or use LibUsb-win32 to execute commands nor do I have the capibilities of making my own driver for this device.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read this post!
Re: Logitech Speed Force Compatibility Hack
May 04, 2014 07:54PM
Hi,
I'm the guy who did the initial reverse engineering on this wheel. It is 100% (force-feedback and input) supported under the recent Linux kernels.

The main 'problem' is that the dongle does not bond to the wheel, unless it's give a couple of commands. Obviously Windows does not do this, however the wheel will remain bonded through a re-boot. So you could just use a Linux live-cd (Ubuntu or the like) and then boot into windows, or even boot into a Linux virtual machine (with vmware/virtualbox/etc) from within Windows to establish the communication.

If you want a really small Ubuntu install then check out:
http://www.ubuntu-mini-remix.org/

The 'magic' commands are:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/hid/hid-lg.c?id=refs/tags/v3.15-rc3#n691

This will not make force-feedback work under Windows (I don't think anyhow), but the commands that are sent to it are the same as the other Logitech wheels so someone may be able to figure that out.

Have fun,
Simon.
Re: Logitech Speed Force Compatibility Hack
May 13, 2014 06:31AM
Hey Simon/mungewell,

Thanks for the response, I really, really appreciate it. if you're still interested, I did get some help from the guys from the Dolphin emulator forums, but that had issues of it's own and was limited to just the Dolphin emulator.

Nevertheless, getting the wheel working can only be done the way you've described, atleast the easiest way for the layman, so I'll try that out when I get time and I'll post the results here. I just wish I could contribute more, let me know if there's something you need from me.

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login