Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Auto-updating is a myth, right?

Posted by aitherion 
Auto-updating is a myth, right?
December 16, 2009 02:30AM
Okay, so I have standard 4.0U, and I've had WiiConnect24 off for almost a year now. It's starting to become a slight issue- I at least want to be able to get the downloadable things in Brawl, if nothing else.

But I don't want to upgrade to 4.2. It seems like autoupdating is a myth, but just to be sure-

If I turn on WiiConnect24, my Wii will not upgrade to 4.2. Is this correct?
Re: Auto-updating is a myth, right?
December 16, 2009 02:33AM
For the millionth time: no. In many cases it is illegal for Nintendo to do so. There isn't even any code in the System Menu to make it auto-update.
January 01, 2010 06:12AM
How come people say to leave it off? Was it just they were cautious, until someone went and actually tried it?
January 01, 2010 06:47AM
mpg187
How come people say to leave it off? Was it just they were cautious, until someone went and actually tried it?
Probably because they actually believe that Nintendo can update your Wii through WiiConnect24 and they don't actually know about how the Wii works..
January 01, 2010 06:57AM
Why does everybody believe them if they don't know how shit works?
January 01, 2010 07:03AM
I don't know.. Maybe because it seems like it could happen
January 01, 2010 01:17PM
The way Nintendo words things implies it could happen I think. But anyway, I have WiiConnect24 off because I don't want to waste electricity on standby mode, and also I have heard it can overheat the Wii, but I'm not sure if thats true or just a rumor.
January 04, 2010 04:37AM
It would be illegal in many countries for Nintendo to auto update your wii, even though they give themselves the right to. There isn't any code in the system menu to update without your consent.

@SifJar My Wii has had WC24 on for three years and it hasn't ever had a single problem with overheating. Although it did stop mid game one time, but I am not 100% sure that it was due to overheating.
January 04, 2010 06:53PM
I turned the Wifi on during standby off, don't need that wasting electricity...
January 04, 2010 08:45PM
Actually I may have WC24 on but standby connection off...dunno, haven't looked at settings for ages.

Actually, my Wii isn't set up with my WiFi atm (got a new router a few months ago and never got round to connecting it).
January 11, 2010 01:20AM
mpg187
Why does everybody believe them if they don't know how shit works?

Because people are stupid? For a long time, people claimed that the difference between a full-brick and a semi-brick was that in the case of a full-brick, the "DVD drive firmware" was corrupted". Too bad the "DVD drive firmware" is stored in ROM and cannot physically be modified -- otherwise, there'd be no need for modchips (so they should have known better at the time, even).
February 11, 2010 03:53AM
The Wii CAN overheat from Wiiconnect24 I went to lift my wii from it's side the next morning and burned my hand >__>
February 11, 2010 06:22AM
pokeglobe
The Wii CAN overheat from Wiiconnect24 I went to lift my wii from it's side the next morning and burned my hand >__>

I had my Wii for over a year and no problems with me burning my hand.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login