Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

System Menu 4.2

Posted by flyguy 
Re: System Menu 4.2
July 30, 2009 11:00PM
Sifjar said that in order to get rid of piracy you must remove cIOS, but that would also rid us of some great legal apps
July 30, 2009 11:55PM
flyguy
Sifjar said that in order to get rid of piracy you must remove cIOS, but that would also rid us of some great legal apps

cIOS 249? The mainly used for piracy? Yep.

But cIOS 202? No...
In fact, Dop-IOS and startpatch only relies on IOS249 because they install stuff into the NAND, but the same can be accomplished with any trucha-bugged IOS.

I don't really know why they use ONLY 249. It's just a matter of giving the user the option to choose which IOS load.
July 31, 2009 12:14AM
I would really appreciate it if you could choose your IOS so that we won't have to use waninkoko fail
Edit: Dop-IOS is used to install Trucha IOS therfore it would need cIOS in order to get the trucha into other IOSs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2009 01:06AM by flyguy.
July 31, 2009 01:14AM
Any IOS with NAND access and the trucha bug enabled can install other patched IOSes or modify the NAND; they don't HAVE to use a cIOS.

Examples: WiiSCU runs on IOS36. Tona's cIOS PatchMii Installer runs on IOS36. Starfall, the Preloader Installer, and StartPatch 4.0 run on IOS36.

And you don't have to use Waninkoko's applications! Tona's cIOS has the trucha bug enabled too!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2009 01:17AM by MattMan.
July 31, 2009 02:51AM
this page talk about a new firmware and a new channel called "digital photo channel"
[www.wiinintendo.net]
July 31, 2009 02:56AM
I saw that channel when I switched to my japanese shop...I'm pretty sure its some sort of channel that makes it so you can connect to a printer and print out your pictures or something....
July 31, 2009 08:28AM
WaxyPumpkin72
I saw that channel when I switched to my japanese shop...I'm pretty sure its some sort of channel that makes it so you can connect to a printer and print out your pictures or something....

how do you switch region???
can i do it on my 4.0U wii????
July 31, 2009 02:05PM
Use anyregion changer... But to use it on 4.0 I think you must trucha patch and add ES_identify to IOS 36
July 31, 2009 02:48PM
flyguy
Edit: I read that nintendo can't update boot2 because of what boot1 checks in boot2.

That is incorrect. The Nintendo can update boot2, they can't update boot1.

Basically, the boot process is something like this:

OTP>boot1>boot2>System Menu

OTP is One Time Programmable memory. This cannot be changed by anyone, ever. This checks boot1, and if the hash of boot1 doesn't match the hash in OTP, it won't boot.

boot1 checks boot2, and if it is OK, it'll boot it. This CAN be updated, but doing so would change the hash and OTP check would fail, causing a brick.

boot2 is not checked using a hash, its checked that it is signed. Nintendo simply sign it, and boot1 checks the signature.

Old versions of boot1 have the trucha signing bug which allows team twiizers to fakesign BootMii so it'll boot. However, Nintendo can simply sign a new boot2 with the correct signature, and boot1 will accept it.

If Team Twiizers knew the correct signature for boot2, BootMii could be installed there on all Wiis. But they dont, so only those with a vulnerable boot1 can install to boot2.

Nintendo can't update boot1, and neither can anyone else. But they can update boot2.
July 31, 2009 03:13PM
oh right sorry i misread it...it is boot1 that cant be updated
August 01, 2009 04:38PM
SifJar is slightly incorrect. boot0 reads the boot1 hash from OTP and verifies it.

However, if OTP is empty, boot1 is not verified.
August 01, 2009 04:58PM
WikiFSX
SifJar is slightly incorrect. boot0 reads the boot1 hash from OTP and verifies it.

But SifJar said that.
August 01, 2009 07:23PM
no i missed out the bit about boot0. I said that OTP checks the hash against boot1. but appearantly, boot0 uses the hash stored in OTP to check boot1. I didnt know of boot0, thought it was OTP. My bad, soz.

so the boot process is actually:

boot0>boot1>boot2>system menu

and boot0 checks boot1 using the hash in OTP, and boot1 then checks that boot2 is signed correctly. and then boot2 boots system menu.
August 08, 2009 06:49AM
if nintendo adds all these things it will go up to 5.0. these things you people think of are great... exept those who know ways to get rid of homebrew
August 09, 2009 05:28AM
Well, Nintendo isn't completely stupid. I'm sure they've known what must be done to get rid of homebrew (or at least to greatly hinder its development) for a while, but like SifJar said, they don't seem to be very motivated to do it. Perhaps it is too much work, too expensive, or even pointless in their opinion because they know that someone will always find another security hole.
August 09, 2009 10:34AM
flyguy
Use anyregion changer... But to use it on 4.0 I think you must trucha patch and add ES_identify to IOS 36

im a noob wats trucha patch and ES_ identify
dont know much about ios's
August 10, 2009 09:30PM
They are bugs that allow applications to access the Wii's NAND.
August 11, 2009 10:31PM
and how do i add them to ios 36??
August 11, 2009 10:55PM
You dump your IOS 36. Open it in a hex editor. Add the bug. Uninstall your IOS 36. Install your IOS 36 with the bug.
August 11, 2009 11:43PM
Really? Did NOT know that was possible. What exactly do you need to change and where? Oh, and how exactly do you dump IOS 36? And do you make it into a WAD to install it again? Couldn't you just download it with NUSD instead of dumping it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login