problems w/ emualtors accessing SD card
November 17, 2009 03:45AM
Hello,

This is my first post, and I must confess I'm pretty new to this homebrew stuff.

anyway, I have several emulators on my SD card, and for some reason the GX emulators (VBAGX, FCEULTRAGX, SNES9XGX) all seem to have this issue.

Whenever I boot these emualtors, it reads something like "Error accessing... (rom directory)" and gives me the option to retry or cancel. Whenever I cancel and manually browse the SD card, many subdirectories of folders are unable to be accessed. If I move ROMs to the root directory, it can't seem to run them either.

Genesis Plus however, doesn't seem to have any of these problems and can boot ROMs just fine.

Anybody have any idea what the problem is? All the emus are up to date with the newest versions.

Thanks!
Re: problems w/ emualtors accessing SD card
November 17, 2009 12:53PM
Have you made sure that your roms are in SD:/snes9x/roms/?
November 17, 2009 11:18PM
Yes. For all the emulators, ROMs are in correct locations.
November 21, 2009 12:47AM
you need a folder in the root of the sd card named the same as the said app folder. the folder in the root should have a roms and saves folder
November 26, 2009 05:00AM
Nothing was wrong with the folders.

All along - my SD card was just locked. Huh.

I had hardly noticed because I was still able to transfer files just fine.
November 28, 2009 04:59PM
I've just had what could be a related problem. I wanted to make a backup of my SD Card on Windows. Both the /fceux/roms and /snes9x/roms directories gave read errors on Windows. Putting the card back in the Wii the two sets of roms were visible and the games play OK. With the card plugged back into Windows I did a check disk/repair disk on the card. This cleared the read errors but it also wiped the two rom directories from the card!

Both these directories had been written to by the Wii with saves from the games. Could it be that the emus are not closing the new files down and powering down the Wii leaves the directories screwed? Or it might be that the Wii itself is not creating the new file entries in the correct FAT16 way. The Wii could certainly read these "corrupted" directories (before Windows wiped them), the problem is that they are made unreadable for Windows (and also I can confirm for Linux).

gbertsoul, this may explain your locking problem. If the Wii writes lots of files into these directories even the Wii might eventually find them impossible to read. The FAT16 error checks under Windows and Linux may be tighter than those of the Wii, and that's why my backup failed....
Re: problems w/ accessing SD card
December 01, 2009 01:14AM
Recently I started using my home brew channel again and I found that If I want to run any apps that involve mounting my SD card (ie. Mplayer CE or HBB) it doesn't work. Now I have been using the same SD card for other info. transfer (ie. Compact PC games) while not doing anything with the other files on there so everything should be the same as I left it.

If there is anything I can do that you can suggest it would be greatly appreciated
December 01, 2009 03:48AM
A quick format to FAT should solve your problem. My SD card often needs a re-format too.
December 01, 2009 04:31AM
Thanks TopGun96
I figured I might need to do that but I didn't really feel like doing a back up and reformatting the little blighter but I will try it none the less
December 01, 2009 05:08AM
No good
It still try's to mount it without any luck
December 01, 2009 11:26PM
Yeah... This happened to me too. Is it perhaps a mini/micro SD with an adapter? Those tend to have problems (for me anyway) I ended up having to get a 2GB regular card.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login