Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged Oct.23 Update Thread

Posted by bushing 
Re: Latest Wii Update 10/23/08
October 26, 2008 01:38AM
Actually, with RSA, it doesn't matter which stage is called "encryption" and which stage is called "decryption"; you can swap the keys and get the same result (read as: the public key works just as well to decrypt messages that used the private key for the encryption algorithm, and visa versa). As long as one of the keys is kept private, it does what it's intended.

One thing that's always bothered me by RSA though is the assumption that one needs to factor the modulus in the key in order to find the private key. Yes, it's a trivial matter to find the private key from the public key if we know the prime factors of the modulus, but the algorithm itself doesn't use them. I admit I have no clue how to go about doing it (I'm sadly an amateur when it comes to number theory), but since factoring the modulus is out of the question (the non-trivial part of the hack), does anyone know of any attempts to hack the RSA algorithm without factoring the modulus? I admit my hopes are low: I seriously doubt I'm the first person to think of this. Just in case though, it should be asked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2008 01:38AM by Tanstaafl.
October 26, 2008 01:45AM
so if you have the HBC channel, and then update through the wii shop channel, nothing happens to the HBC right, since you already have it installed? or does it get rid of the HBC. from what i've read, it just makes it harder to install the HBC if you don't have it already, right?
October 26, 2008 02:51AM
That's what I've read everywhere. It won't affect anything you already have installed, but you won't be able to install anything new, and this only applies to the NAND. (You can continue to add homebrew to your SD card and run it using the HBC.)
October 26, 2008 03:40AM
HyperHacker
That's what I've read everywhere. It won't affect anything you already have installed, but you won't be able to install anything new, and this only applies to the NAND. (You can continue to add homebrew to your SD card and run it using the HBC.)

what do you mean anything new?
also i'm at 3.2 ,so if i buy anything, it will update to 3.3, then do the other update, so is the HBC safe?
if i upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3 everything will stay the same, or do i have to copy the HBC to an SD card or what?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2008 03:51AM by lizard81288.
October 26, 2008 04:30AM
Just to tell...

HBC beta9!!!
[hackmii.com]

And compatible with newest update...
October 26, 2008 12:11PM
Wow. HBC 9 can be installed using the latest update. Nice touch adding SDHC support. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, team twiizers.

EDIT:Hold on! The boot.elf in my app's won't work anymore!? Do I need to wait for the next release of devkitppc or the next release of the HBC to fix this?!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2008 12:25PM by Arikado.
October 26, 2008 12:38PM
Great job twiizers team, I heart you.

n Arikado I think the person responsible for the particular file will have to update their file to .dol
October 26, 2008 12:43PM
Well, either way, I'll have new public releases of my apps very, very soon.
October 26, 2008 12:52PM
bobstar89
n Arikado I think the person responsible for the particular file will have to update their file to .dol

Actually, if you read the HackMii page, it gives anybody with devKitPro a console command to convert any ELF files to DOL, whether you have the source or not.
October 26, 2008 01:36PM
Most apps include both dol and elf but for Gecko OS, it says the dol file is for "using on custom channels or Trucha based ISO DVDs" but is the dol still a regular dol that works on the HBC or will it suddenly install a channel on my wii if I launch it?
edit: just got my answer for Gecko OS and the dol file is fine

Also some apps like ExistenzE have only an elf and it's the final version so I can't see the creator making a new dol for it, could someone else with devkitpro do this and upload it to the wiki?
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2008 02:18PM by DrMario.
October 26, 2008 05:21PM
so Gecko OS doesn't work with HBC 9?
October 26, 2008 05:26PM
DrMario
Also some apps like ExistenzE have only an elf and it's the final version so I can't see the creator making a new dol for it, could someone else with devkitpro do this and upload it to the wiki?
Thanks

It's the responsiblity of the maker of an app to go back and rerelease their app if changes are required. Regardless of which version the app is on.
October 26, 2008 05:58PM
lizard81288
so Gecko OS doesn't work with HBC 9?
Gecko OS is fine, [wiird.l0nk.org]

Arikado
DrMario
Thanks

It's the responsiblity of the maker of an app to go back and rerelease their app if changes are required. Regardless of which version the app is on.
Yes, I know this but some of the creators of some of the older homebrew have been unheard of for some time and there is a command you can use with devkitpro to convert .elfs to .dols and I don't have devkitpro installed. Most of the stuff will probably updated by it's creator but a few things may be left that you would have to do yourself.
October 26, 2008 09:12PM
If I install the IOS and Wii Shop update (without using Nintendo's update) if I get a game like say, Animal Crossing City Folk and it contains the update, will it still try to update my Wii? If so, how can I prevent this? Would BootMii (when it's released) be the solution to this?

Thanks to anyone who answers my questions.
October 26, 2008 09:42PM
so, should i update the HBC 1st then update the wii, or update the wii 1st, then update the HBC?
October 26, 2008 11:21PM
lizard81288
so, should i update the HBC 1st then update the wii, or update the wii 1st, then update the HBC?
Update the Wii never, update the HBC whenever you want SDHC support (or one of the other features).

There's no point in updating something if you aren't going to gain something out of it. The new Wii update is a perfect example of this.
October 26, 2008 11:27PM
Once I update to beta 9, is there a way to revert back to beta 8? (an easy way and how would I do it, summed up?)
October 26, 2008 11:31PM
run the beta 8 installer (i think should work :))
October 26, 2008 11:50PM
but i want to get MM9, so i will have to do an update correct?(the wii shop update)
October 27, 2008 12:32AM
lizard81288
but i want to get MM9, so i will have to do an update correct?(the wii shop update)
If your using muzer's/tona's IOS51/Shop update, then you can update whenever with HBC beta 8 or 9.
JUST DO NOT USE THE WII SYSTEM UPDATE!
I think that's what Tona thought you meant when you said update.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login