Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged Oct.23 Update Thread

Posted by bushing 
Re: Mega Merged Oct.23 Update Thread
October 31, 2008 03:52AM
DanielHueho
tona
Neither installer *relies* on it. Although if you tell my installer to patch IOS51, it will try to use it.

Hmm, I always thought that any kind of NAND modification involved the fakesigning bug... Bléh, I hate to do mistakes :P.

superflysocal
it appears that i can still run the hack, so i just want to know what program installation will fail with the oct 23 update. I'm just also trying to figure out how one can tell if you have an oct updated wii unit (which be helpful for people buying a new unit from here on which may have the update installed at the factory).

It's pretty unlikely this update will came with newest Wiis like this fast, but anyway, I guess that the easiest way to know if the update is installed is running a installer that uses fakesigning bug and see what happens, like the DVDX installer.
Remember, installing apps on the SD card remains good as ever, because "installation", on this case, is pretty much "copy-and-paste" the files from your PC to the card (or even just downloading from Wii with Homebrew Browser)

yep, that did it.
tried to install DVDx installer and it failed on the updated wii, but was fine on the wii that has not been updated (again, both says 3.3u on system menu). Same results with another installer which I don't think i am allowed to mention in this forum. Thanks a bunch, looks like I know which to return.
If there is anything you want me to try to install before I return it let me know.
October 31, 2008 05:20AM
DanielHueho
Hmm, I always thought that any kind of NAND modification involved the fakesigning bug... Bléh, I hate to do mistakes :P.
I thought it used a separate exploit which also was patched.
Should I update the homebrew channel or IOS first?
October 30, 2008 11:17AM
I am not sure in what order to install the updates.

Ok, I already have the homebrew channel installed on my system earlier using the Twilight Hack, however, its a very old version, and never asked to update for some reason.

However, now it just did, I suspect its because I removed my SD card.

I started the installer for Homebrew Channel beta9, and it said that my system is running on IOS34 so it will be configured to use the IOS36 loader.

So.... am I supposed to install the IOS51 and Wii channel update first so the Homebrew Channel will configure itself to use that when I install beta9?

Or would I have to install the Homebrew Channel first, if intalling IOS51 first prevents me from installing the Homebrew Channel?
Re: Should I update the homebrew channel or IOS first?
October 30, 2008 11:28AM
If you are using Muzzer's or Tona's tools to install IOS51 and the new shop channel, then it doesn't matter. If you're thinking of using the Nintendo update, I'd suggest installing the HBC first, otherwise the update will kill fakesigning.
October 31, 2008 09:33AM
whodares
If you are using Muzzer's or Tona's tools to install IOS51 and the new shop channel, then it doesn't matter. If you're thinking of using the Nintendo update, I'd suggest installing the HBC first, otherwise the update will kill fakesigning.

HBC b9 uses an unreleased exploit which works around the update.
October 31, 2008 12:05PM
bushing
whodares

HBC b9 uses an unreleased exploit which works around the update.

Sorry, yeah, I remember reading that. My bad
Re: I just want to confirm a few things before updating my Wii...
October 31, 2008 03:47PM
Tanstaafl
And what happens if a disk comes along that has a system update on it, and we don't want to mess with GeckoOS to skip the update because we have no use for it otherwise? All this talk about discouraging the newest update seems a little shortsighted. True, I've had my share of bad updates for my pc OS (both windows and linux), and we've all heard the PS3 story I'm sure, but Nintendo does have an lot of control over our Wii's software, and to be honest, they almost certainly know more about it then anyone else as well. So, naturally, this bold "DO NOT UPDATE YOUR WII" disturbs me. It's my Wii. It's already been said multiple times that the homebrew channel is at the user's risk, and if you want to state your opinion that we don't need to update our Wiis, that's fine. But everyone has different preferences, and not everyone will want to use/trust every bit of homebrew out there, and that includes GeckoOS and Beta9.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I care whether or not you update your Wii, or whether or not you use the HBC, etc. If it disturbs you, go away. The idea that I would respond to this in some way to try to "convince" you to act one way or another is laughable.

HyperHacker
bushing
Spoom
tona
Installing channels (other than HBC) still uses copyrighted Nintendo code--also not supported. Kthx.
Erm... only if they steal banner code, which they're forced to because the banner tools and exploit used by HBC haven't been released (for better or worse).

Nobody's forcing you to do anything. I think it would be nice to release the banner tools, but they're Marcan's hard work and it's therefore his decision. What does an exploit have to do with this?
The exploit HBC9 uses to install a channel under IOS51? Nobody else can make a channel without it now.

Perhaps, but that has nothing to do with stealing banner code.
October 31, 2008 07:53PM
Wow... I just read all 8 pages of this! Crash course in Wii ios!

But I am confused about the banner code. The Homebrew Channel has banners in it, and a lot of the emu-channels have their own custom banners. I understand that the code used to change the banner might be Nintendo's, but how is Homebrew Channel the exception? If it is something completely original, why can't we use that to make our own custom channels out of homebrew apps? Also, if Nintendo's banner code is from a free channel, like the photo channel, wouldn't that be considered freeware?
October 31, 2008 09:19PM
DrLucky

But I am confused about the banner code. The Homebrew Channel has banners in it, and a lot of the emu-channels have their own custom banners. I understand that the code used to change the banner might be Nintendo's, but how is Homebrew Channel the exception? If it is something completely original, why can't we use that to make our own custom channels out of homebrew apps? Also, if Nintendo's banner code is from a free channel, like the photo channel, wouldn't that be considered freeware?

Freeware is completely different from open-source. Freeware is free to use, and open-source is free to use the compiled program and to see and modify the original code.

Homebrew Channel is a exception because doesn't use leaked code from Nintendo. Simple like that, if I didn't said bullshit again :P

EDIT: I just find out something curious... I was surfing on Orkut, and I saw a strange declaration of a guy who has a "defective" Wii. He said, beyond other stuff (like the games with all the colors messed up), that the system version in Wii settings was 3.4U before the console started to act weird, and "for some reason", now is 3.3U...

I will try to get some more info...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2008 09:53PM by DanielHueho.
October 31, 2008 10:15PM
DanielHueho
DrLucky

Freeware is completely different from open-source. Freeware is free to use, and open-source is free to use the compiled program and to see and modify the original code.

Homebrew Channel is a exception because doesn't use leaked code from Nintendo. Simple like that, if I didn't said bullshit again :P

I understand that. I dont see why there are legal issues with codes from free wads that Nintendo releases FREE! I was comparing those to free ware apps. and I am still wondering why we can't use the non-nintendo codes from the HBC
October 31, 2008 10:26PM
1. Channels
Freeware: you can use it only for what is programmed. Using a hacked Nintendo WAD to load your own code is illegal, I guess.
Other thing: most freeware apps for PC follow a similar method, that's means, some developers only allow non-commercial use of this apps, for giving an example, and the fact it's a free-of-charge program doesn't mean it's free to modify.
Finally, Nintendo "free" WADs are not really free. You pay for them when you buy your console.
2. HBC: bushing already said. It's marcan choice to not release the banner tools used for HBC. And in the same way there is open code in the world, the people can be free to make their code closed, or even the app private.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2008 10:27PM by DanielHueho.
October 31, 2008 11:35PM
Ok.. that makes more since... not sure how "Using a hacked Nintendo WAD to load your own code is illegal" since I bought their console, and downloaded their free channel.

Well, I know what Nintendo gives out is only for people who have the system, but who is going to download a free Nintendo wad if they don't have a wii? Like, it isn't illegal to give a homeless guy without a computer a freeware app on a CD.

But using your scenario, then wouldn't applications (USB Gecko) that "rip" Nintendo code from the Wii be illegal? And exploits too?

so they haven't released it... might they some day?
November 01, 2008 02:43AM
Anyone here tried Wii Music? A friend of mine said this disc does automatic update...
November 01, 2008 10:34PM
Use starfall to avoid the disc update. BTW wii music the worst of all the casual games i've played.
November 02, 2008 07:54AM
It's a copyright issue. Copying Nintendo's banner code to your own program violates their copyright on said code. The HBC authors made their own banner code without copying anything. Other channels haven't because it's very risky.
November 02, 2008 05:16PM
Sigh, my cousin decided to "help" me while I was gone by updating my wii shop channel. I have the homebrew channel beta 9, but I can't use the wad manager. Before my Gecko OS wouldn't work, but I did something to the boot file and it now works. Can I do the same to the wad manager?
November 03, 2008 06:53AM
Short attention-span summary: Distributing a copy of a copyrighted work is illegal, unless you have permission from the author. Anything else is usually legal, but it depends on your local laws.

DanielHueho
EDIT: I just find out something curious... I was surfing on Orkut, and I saw a strange declaration of a guy who has a "defective" Wii. He said, beyond other stuff (like the games with all the colors messed up), that the system version in Wii settings was 3.4U before the console started to act weird, and "for some reason", now is 3.3U...

He's confused. There has never been a system menu that reported as 3.4U.

DanielHueho
1. Channels
Freeware: you can use it only for what is programmed. Using a hacked Nintendo WAD to load your own code is illegal, I guess.

No. Copyright laws state that the author of a program (or book, or whatever) has the right to make as many copies of that program as they want, and do whatever they want with them. In many cases, they will make you a copy in exchange for money -- Microsoft will give you a copy of MS Office for $300. Apple will make a copy of OS X, install it on a Mac, and sell you the Mac.

Freeware means that the copyright owner will give you a copy of the program for $0.

Other thing: most freeware apps for PC follow a similar method, that's means, some developers only allow non-commercial use of this apps, for giving an example, and the fact it's a free-of-charge program doesn't mean it's free to modify.

Once you have this software, the law is less clear about what you can do with it. In the U.S. the first-sale doctrine generally means you can do anything you want with that copy you got from the author, except for making another copy. So, you can download a copy of IOS from Nintendo, modify it, and install it, but you can't redistribute a modified copy of IOS. You can download a copy of the HBC from hbc.hackmii.com, you could even modify it, but you can't redistribute it without permission.

On top of that, there are EULAs which attempt to further restrict what you can do with software you lawfully obtain. For example, some may limit use of a program to non-commercial uses, or some may prohibit reverse-engineering (as does Nintendo's). However, it is debatable whether such restrictions are legally enforcable; see http://www.eff.org/issues/coders/reverse-engineering-faq.

DrLucky
But using your scenario, then wouldn't applications (USB Gecko) that "rip" Nintendo code from the Wii be illegal? And exploits too?

USBGecko is a device, not a program. "Ripping" code from the Wii is debatable; redistributing that code is clearly illegal.

HyperHacker
It's a copyright issue. Copying Nintendo's banner code to your own program violates their copyright on said code.

No, the copyright issue with most hacked WADs is that they are distributing Nintendo's banner code. The "copying" step is not the part where you make the WAD, it's where you give it to your friends.

NeoRez
Sigh, my cousin decided to "help" me while I was gone by updating my wii shop channel. I have the homebrew channel beta 9, but I can't use the wad manager. Before my Gecko OS wouldn't work, but I did something to the boot file and it now works. Can I do the same to the wad manager?

"did something to the boot file"? What the hell does that mean?
Help! Installed official update...
November 02, 2008 03:05PM
Installed official update this week and now some homebrew will not work. HBC still fires up and hb such as mplayer work. Help?! oh and I am wii noob
Re: Help! Installed official update...
November 02, 2008 11:54PM
Use Waninkoko's downgrader.
November 03, 2008 09:39AM
@bushing

Thanks for the explanation!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login