Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Master Plan for going to 4.1U from 3.2U (?)

Posted by wasaqnan 
Master Plan for going to 4.1U from 3.2U (?)
October 11, 2009 10:58PM
I was looking into updating to 4.1, but then 4.2 came out. It looks like the new StartPatch pretty much solves most of my concerns (updates). I have the new boot1, so I can't install boot2. I would also feel better if I could keep preloader, but I think the new System Menu features are worth it... also, I BELIEVE in the wiibrew community to bring near-future more-betterness.

I have a 3.2U which I now believe was once downgraded from 3.4U (fuzzy memory). My brother-in-law's Wii was purchased a year before mine and I just found out he's on 3.4U with a much older serial number.

So this is my plan, pretty much mostly based on my research on wiibrew.org:

1) use Dop-IOS MOD, get all IOS, System Menu 4.1U, all channels.
------- I read that I should only trucha the IOS36... why not others?
2) install StartPatch
------- why would I want to Force WiFi Test Errors?
3) preloader...
------- crediar released 0.30 along with the source in a gesture of abandonment...
------- I'm sure 0.31 (or whatever) is coming... I just realized I'm being a bit impatient... which is why I'm just going ahead with this on faith right now!
------- boot1v3 is the Devil!

How does all that sound?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 08:52PM by wasaqnan.
Re: Master Plan for going to 4.1U from 3.2U (?)
October 11, 2009 11:02PM
1) Use the latest Dop-IOS MOD build in here instead of the one on the wiki: [forum.wiibrew.org]

2) Optional

3) BootMii > Preloader

Also, installing BootMii should be done first. You should then make a NAND Backup with BootMii just in case you brick.
October 12, 2009 08:37PM
You should only trucha IOS36 because all others are optional and HackMii Installer rejects patched IOS, as does HBC if it is running on one, so the less patched IOS you have, the better. But make sure you patch IOS36, to keep your options open.
October 12, 2009 08:56PM
also, i believe that have cios installed when upgrading between 3.x to 4 can be helpful, it was one of the original methods to upgrade to 4.0 without problems
October 12, 2009 08:59PM
ok thanks for these. I'm running 'trial 4' now, just about to commit. I have a NAND backup from the latest BootMii zipped... even tho I may not be able to use it...

Just a quick question: Should I really install all IOS to newest version? And of course, I just have to ask "Why?".
October 12, 2009 09:01PM
well if its an update then you should probably install to newest version, if you are trying to install and epicly old ios then you might have to install to a specific slot
October 12, 2009 09:04PM
@SteelSLasher
yes I just put on cIOS 38 rev14 as IOS249 earlier just to be more sure I still have bugs... if that's what you mean

I'm also using IOS249 to run DopIOS mod

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 09:07PM by wasaqnan.
October 12, 2009 09:11PM
wasaqnan
ok thanks for these. I'm running 'trial 4' now, just about to commit. I have a NAND backup from the latest BootMii zipped... even tho I may not be able to use it...

Just a quick question: Should I really install all IOS to newest version? And of course, I just have to ask "Why?".

Why not? Obviously Ninty fix bugs in old IOS, so newer ones are more stable therefore better. And seeing as you're patching the necessary bugs back into IOS36, and you have IOS249, you dont need the bugs they fix. And they fix more than just those bugs (i think), they make the IOS more stable. trust me, its better to have the latest version of every IOS.
October 12, 2009 09:28PM
as one would expect with any BIOS/firmware/software...
so... just to confirm... every IOS that this app makes available?

I should have just ran it in the first place, would have made my 'research' much quicker. I didn't expect the interface to be so AWESOME, just going by past experience with other IOS tools.
October 12, 2009 09:35PM
Yeah, every IOS it can install. ESPECIALLY IOS60. Make sure you DEFINETLY have that one before installing the System Menu.
October 12, 2009 10:00PM
wasaqnan
I didn't expect the interface to be so AWESOME, just going by past experience with other IOS tools.
:-)

Also, some people have reported problems with using Wanky's cIOS 249 - so I'll be curious to see if you have success with it.
October 12, 2009 10:08PM
so now I'm a guinea pig? lol... O_O

what kind of problems?

also, should I ES_Identify patch IOS36? I previously thought that was just another name for trucha.
October 12, 2009 10:31PM
wasaqnan
so now I'm a guinea pig? lol... O_O

what kind of problems?
Basically, it fails to install the IOS/channels/system menu/etc. sometimes but works other times. The issues are entirely non-harmful.

wasaqnan
also, should I ES_Identify patch IOS36? I previously thought that was just another name for trucha.
You can if you want to, but there's really no need to.
October 13, 2009 01:04AM
I successfully installed all IOS except IOS30 (thought I'd leave that one alone until after 4.1U is installed). IOS36 with trucha and ES_Identify.

Successfully installed all Channels except Nintendo Channel... now this is where things got weird. While I was trying to install Nintendo Channel, I got an http request error, then return to HBC (which is upside-down btw). After a few more attempts, I changed my IP. I think NUS banned me! So I go back in, test IOS11 install: works. Nintendo Channel: it gets past the network init, then flicks to what looks like a glitched-out code dump, like a 'cascade' of white pixels badly wrapped off the screen edge. I think even the Mii channel retry had trouble...

ok: Mii channel seems to be (re)installing fine now... but the Nintendo Channel download consistently crashes the app.

ok.. I'll try to recall what I saw. It was almost too quick:

error making http request
get nus object cetk

EDIT: Pressing the Reset button makes several white dots appear on the bottom scanline 2 seconds before returning to HBC, so... make of that what you will. vid caps below

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2009 04:07AM by wasaqnan.
October 13, 2009 03:39AM
vid caps

that took a while... mov > VLC > mpg2 > virtualdub > png

I was thinking.. could it be that I'm out of NAND space, considering some of these channels are optional? If that's possible, I could delete some stuff with AnyTitle Deleter or something. I'm afraid to reset the Wii at this point tho. I don't need the Nintendo Channel, but after seeing this failure I'm reluctant to move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2009 04:03AM by wasaqnan.
October 13, 2009 09:02AM
made some progress. I deleted the Nintendo Channel I already had and even a couple WiiWares using AnyTitle Deleter MOD to 'free up' some NAND space. Still getting crashes. I tried with Trial 3 and v7, using both IOS36 and IOS249 each. Tried to just go ahead with the 4.1U download, but I get the same errors about creating a temp dir, as reported in the Testing Corner thread. I was able to install the other channels, just not the Nintendo Channel. It appears to be crashing right before or during some operation to do with the ticket, which appears to happen right before downloading the channel parts.

I fixed the upside-down HBC by reinstalling it, no problem. I figured there's no risk at this point to restart the Wii... I was right. The Data Management/Channels menu says I only have 338 blocks open, which seems low since I deleted those channels. Now I think I remember an issue I had recently with NAND space not being freed when it should have been... can't remember what I did to make it right again.

I know this is getting long, but I'm trying to give as much detail as possible. maybe it will help

Deleted some more channels this time via the Menu. 1153 blocks open.

Wii Shop Channel works, but surprise - I can't download Nintendo Channel from there either! "Error Code: 204079 - Please wait a moment and try again." I try again and it works... Maybe NUS has a flag that was set somehow around the time they blocked my IP... can they do that? Identify my console via http request or some kind of flag set on my end?

Nintendo Channel works now, but guess what? I went into Dop-IOS mod again to see if Nintendo Channel would now magically (re)install... and now I got the same crash again - except this time, it happened right after running it, and the Reset button didn't respond. I had to hold the Power button. All Dop launches after that worked fine. "random" glitch?

= List of things I did next :: with the Dop-IOS mod (trial 4) results =
(all Dop-IOS instances tested with both IOS36 & IOS249)
- Delete NinChan and Save via Menu :: crash at NinChan ticket
- Reinstall via Shop without error :: crash at NinChan ticket
- Delete NinChan via AnyTitle Deleter Mod :: crash at NinChan ticket
- Attempt to install NinChan via Shop, got error 204079
--- click Try Again, Wii Shop Channel reloads to 'home page'
--- NinChan is marked as "Downloadable", local ticket not created
--- choose not to Download and try to Dop NinChan
----- :: IOS36: crash at NinChan ticket
----- :: IOS249: didn't crash, but still failed... sorry didn't catch the output
----- :: IOS36 again: crash at NinChan ticket
----- :: IOS249 again: crash at NinChan ticket (!!!)
- download NinChan via NUSD
--- "Note: This title has no ticket and cannot be packed/decrypted!"
--- "Ticket not found! Continuing, however WAD packing and decryption are not possible!"
--- waiting... waiting... NUSD interface grayed out... waiting... exit NUSD
--- only tmd file appears
--- NUSD for 4.1U works
- various attempts to install 4.1U throughout :: FAIL
- That's enough for today. Have a good one!

This is looking more like a Testing Corner thread now... I'll drop a link in that thread.
October 13, 2009 09:19PM
wasaqnan
what kind of problems? (with cIOS38 rev14)
Using IOS249 to install an IOS works initially but, if you exit Dop-IOS MOD Trial 4 to the loader (HBC) and then re-started Trial 4 and use IOS249 to install an IOS the screen becomes garbled after pressing A to select the Sig Hash patch ie. at the point it should start downloading.

Neither IOS36(trucha and ES patched) or Hermes IOS222v4(38 merge 37) showed the same problem.
November 01, 2009 04:30PM
It's been a while but i've been busy actually enjoying my Wii... and work of course. wondering why Dop-IOS Mod (t13) could be saying "error downloading system menu" for 4.1U. Is anyone else having this problem... or is anyone not having this problem?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login