Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Updating using wifi

Posted by WalangAlam 
Updating using wifi
March 01, 2010 03:40AM
I read that updating through wifi could brick your wii.
How will updating throught wifi brick a wii?
What are the things that can brick the wii while updating via wifi? lost internet connection?
Does wii save the updates downloaded through wifi in a temp memory before installing them?
Why does nintendo put an wifi updates if it can brick your wii?

I updated my friend's wii via wifi. The updates just finished half of the update progress bar and it encountered an error and stop updating. Luckily, it was not bricked. How is this possible that the updates were only finished half way yet it didn't brick the wii?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 05:00AM by WalangAlam.
Re: Updating using wifi
March 01, 2010 04:17AM
If you unplug it or lose power it will brick, or if you have stuff that is not supported here will likely brick it with update. Other than that I see it being safe to update through wifi. If not mistaken there is an adapter you can get and connect the wii through a ethernet cord and not go wifi.
March 01, 2010 04:55AM
It is safe to update through wifi. If the connection fails, some parts of the update will not be installed, but your wii will not brick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 04:55AM by jbc007.
March 01, 2010 05:03AM
dirtrider73068
If you unplug it or lose power it will brick, or if you have stuff that is not supported here will likely brick it with update. Other than that I see it being safe to update through wifi. If not mistaken there is an adapter you can get and connect the wii through a ethernet cord and not go wifi.

so if I will plug it to an UPS it's safe? yet there is a internet wired adater for wii but i prefer the wifi which I have already.

where can I read about the process of updating wii? what files are being updated and how they are updated? or somebody could tell the process?
March 01, 2010 05:06AM
jbc007
It is safe to update through wifi. If the connection fails, some parts of the update will not be installed, but your wii will not brick.

even if it finished only 10% due to loss in wifi or internet signal, it will not brick my wii? could I repeat the update process again and again until it finishes 100%?
March 01, 2010 05:06AM
The adapter is if you don't have a wifi setup but can hardwire it so its connected to the internet. You can use the wifi its safe and won't hurt it.

EDIT yes you can tell it to update again it won't hurt it, in fact I did a double update on mine trying to fix a issue it had.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 05:07AM by dirtrider73068.
March 01, 2010 07:26AM
thanks for that. i was advised in another forum that I should not update using wifi since updating through wifi is a "hairy business" and can brick my wii. I got so worried when my updates encountered an error halfway through the update.

where can I see the latest Firmware? I'm worried that months from now I might accidentally update a virgin wii to 4.3 if it already exist.

where do Nintendo announce if they have a new Firmware? any link?
March 01, 2010 12:42PM
WalangAlam
thanks for that. i was advised in another forum that I should not update using wifi since updating through wifi is a "hairy business" and can brick my wii. I got so worried when my updates encountered an error halfway through the update.
Then I would kill your account and never, ever go to that forum again. So long as you're not playing jump rope with your Wiis' power cord while you update, there is no risk in updating.

WalangAlam
where can I see the latest Firmware? I'm worried that months from now I might accidentally update a virgin wii to 4.3 if it already exist.
Your Wii will always ask you before it updates itself. Don't worry too much about this.

WalangAlam
[nintendo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 12:43PM by Arikado.
March 01, 2010 01:58PM
Arikado
WalangAlam
Then I would kill your account and never, ever go to that forum again. So long as you're not playing jump rope with your Wiis' power cord while you update, there is no risk in updating.

WalangAlam
Your Wii will always ask you before it updates itself. Don't worry too much about this.

WalangAlam
[nintendo.com]

thanks.
March 02, 2010 12:28AM
jbc007

Depending on what happens, it could.

If it installs the system menu without installing its IOS, your Wii will brick. If it stubs the old System Menu's IOS before the new System Menu is installed, your Wii will brick.

It still is relatively safe. If there is no power failure/stupid action during the install procedure, all will be fine.
March 02, 2010 12:37AM
WikiFSX
If it installs the system menu without installing its IOS, your Wii will brick. If it stubs the old System Menu's IOS before the new System Menu is installed, your Wii will brick.

This can't happen. The update occurs in this order: boot2, system menu IOS, system menu, all other IOSes. Therefore, a wii won't be bricked if it fails to download part of an update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2010 12:39AM by jbc007.
March 02, 2010 02:00AM
But if it stops on the middle of updating boot2 then it'd brick.
March 02, 2010 02:43AM
bg4545
But if it stops on the middle of updating boot2 then it'd brick.

If the power goes out while it is updating boot2 or the system menu, it will brick. If the internet connection is lost (or if the power goes out at any other time), it will not. The wii downloads a single part of the update, installs it, then moves on to the next part. It does not install anything until it has finished downloading.
March 02, 2010 07:21AM
I should get an UPS if I will update then. Power Interruption(during boot2 & system menu updates) may brick wii but not internet connection interruption. Ok got those.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login