Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the proper way to play a DvD on a Wii?

Posted by keybounce 
What is the proper way to play a DvD on a Wii?
June 04, 2010 04:56AM
What is the proper way to play a DvD on the Wii?

I have Mplayer-CE installed, but I cannot find any DVD playback option, only SD card / USB support.

I have the hidden dvdx channel installed.
I have homebrew browser and homebrew channel
My system has been upgraded to 4.2 (and came with boot2)
Re: What is the proper way to play a DvD on a Wii?
June 04, 2010 07:06AM
For official means, the only way to watch a DVD on a Wii is with the Netflix disk. I don't use my Wii as a DVD player (since I have a VCR/DVD player and a PS2), so I can't help you with that part.
June 04, 2010 08:39AM
Actually, the netflix disk only lets you watch the streaming downloads. Not DvD's.

And I thought Mplayer CE was supposed to play DvD's. It's not for me.
June 04, 2010 02:23PM
Mplayer CE can play DVDs. It may be that your Wii can't. How old is it?
June 04, 2010 04:57PM
FYI, the advised media player now is WiiMC. It is the successor to MPlayer CE and has DVD support if you install IOS202 (a patched IOS with DVD and USB2.0 functions)
June 04, 2010 08:50PM
My wii came with 3.2 and boot2. (EDIT: Might have been 3.3. I had to upgrade to 3.4 to play (I think) Galaxy 1.)
EDIT 2: To clarify: Boot2 V4, the one that "doesn't permit downgrading" (so how does TBR downgrade 15?).

Does IoS 202 replace the need for the hidden dvdx channel? If so, how do I remove it, or do I want to leave it for something else?

... Checking homebrew browser ...
Alright, I don't see IoS 202 on the browser.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 07:38AM by keybounce.
June 04, 2010 11:07PM
Install IOS 202 by its official installer in WiiMC official page. The installer will automatically search for a trucha signed IOS and install IOS 202. No further knowledge required other than run the installer from homebrew channel.

In case you don't have a trucha signed IOS, you can use Trucha Bug Restorer to trucha IOS36 or create a functional clone of it in another slot.
June 05, 2010 04:23AM
Alright, thanks.

For what it's worth: I upgraded my Mplayer CE. The old version had an interface that looked more text based than graphics based; the new one had some graphics, and a very easy/obvious open DvD menu.

I tried playing Avatar. The playback kept getting stuck in various places, seemingly at random. When it got stuck, I had to hard power off the wii. In one case I got a stack dump and restart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 04:23AM by keybounce.
June 05, 2010 04:32AM
Ok, a minor question:

1. How do I put the .zip file (the IOS 202 Installer.zip) into homebrew channel?

If I'm using an SD card, where on the SD card do I put the .zip file?
If I'm using a wireless network, what's the program to run on my computer (ppc mac, if it matters) to send it over?

2. There is both a WiiMC 1.0.4 new install, and a WiiMc Channel installer. Do I want both, or just one, and if so, which one? (Probably just the new install, right? So why is there also an "upgrade", and if I want the channel, why isn't it in either of the other two?)

#1 I expect is fully documented somewhere, just a matter of my not knowing where, and not seeing a link on either their home page nor their download page.
#2 I expect is documented somewhere inside their forums, but not on either of those pages and not obvious.
June 05, 2010 05:14AM
1) Extract the .zip and set up your SD card as you would for any other application: SD:\apps\application name\boot.dol

2) It is entirely up to you. If you want a WiiMC channel, install the channel. Keep in mind that custom channels can cause banner bricks. Although the channel has probably been tested, you should still install Bootmii/boot2 or Priiloader first, just in case. If you don't want the channel, use the new install option or download it with the Homebrew Browser.
June 05, 2010 06:10AM
jbc007
1) Extract the .zip and set up your SD card as you would for any other application: SD:\apps\application name\boot.dol

And what makes you think that this is obvious to anyone new?

I set up homebrew on my system a while back, by following instructions that were basically: "If you have an apps folder, rename it; unzip this file onto the root of your SD card; do these steps on the wii; do this to activate homebrew browser from homebrew channel; now fetch everything you want from inside homebrew channel".

I don't think I've done anything with the apps folder or "boot.dol" since. I know enough about the process that I could find instructions like that -- searching for boot.dol, and knowing how to search, I could find basic instructions in 5 minutes or less.

But I'm experienced with searching, and I know keywords to look for. A beginner might not. Probably won't.

===
A better question: Is there a reason that this isn't fetchable via homebrew browser?

===
Again, I know that it's possible to send the file over the wireless without modifying the SD card. (Considering that my only SD reader/writer is attached to another computer, I try to avoid having to use it as much as possible.) I don't remember how, and it's the sort of thing that a typical newbie might find a lot easier to do. Oh well, off to the search tools.

8:56 pm
9:10 pm -- 14 minutes, a lot longer than I thought it would.

Wiiload, [wiibrew.org], is the tool.
June 05, 2010 07:30AM
Alright, I have a problem that I cannot solve.

I first attempted to use Dop-mii to install a patched ios 36. It failed. Next, I used Trucha bug restorer. It took time, but it works, or at least, seems to. I installed patched 36 and 37. (Yes, I restored IOS 15 afterwards)

Checking shows that 37 has Fakesign, and 36 has Fakesign, ES_Identify, and NAND. (Not flash.)

I still cannot get the 202 installer to work. It says, "Running IOS 37", and selecting install first shows "Downloading", and then aborts with an error before the progress bar has moved at all.

What am I doing wrong?
June 05, 2010 05:38PM
I'm not sure, but I guess installing titles need ES_Identify patch. Also, I think the WiiMC installer looks for the highest patched IOS, since it doesn't make sense not using IOS36 for the job. I recommend installing a clean IOS37, and leaving IOS36 with the patches you already have. Then, just run the installer again.

Following the same theory, you could also install a fully patched IOS36 functional clone in a higher slot (from at least 200). That should work.

Even if it doesn't work, there's probably no harm doing such things, since it won't mess with your console's vital functions.
June 05, 2010 06:56PM
keybounce
Alright, I have a problem that I cannot solve.

I first attempted to use Dop-mii to install a patched ios 36. It failed. Next, I used Trucha bug restorer. It took time, but it works, or at least, seems to. I installed patched 36 and 37. (Yes, I restored IOS 15 afterwards)

Checking shows that 37 has Fakesign, and 36 has Fakesign, ES_Identify, and NAND. (Not flash.)

I still cannot get the 202 installer to work. It says, "Running IOS 37", and selecting install first shows "Downloading", and then aborts with an error before the progress bar has moved at all.

What am I doing wrong?

If it stops before it even starts downloading, that makes me think it isn't to do with your IOS causing the error in the installation.

Just to make sure: Do you have WiFi?

Also, can you tell us WHAT the error is?

EDIT: You could try offline installation if its crashing when trying to download. See the WiiMC WiiBrew page for offline install instructions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 06:56PM by SifJar.
June 06, 2010 07:59AM

Just to make sure: Do you have WiFi?

Also, can you tell us WHAT the error is?
Yes, I have WiFi.

IOS 202 Installer
Do you want to install IOS 202?

< select install >

Please wait
Downloading

Error
Installation failed!
< ok >

That's the complete dialog.

Lets try installing a copy of IOS 36 at 201: Nope, my only choices are 236 and 249. Alright, try 249:
Nope, ios 202 installer still wants to use 37.
Ok, then restore 37 to "normal":
Oh, there is no restore IOS 37 option.

What if I turn off the patch trucha option? That should install the version from NUS, unchanged, right? Yes, it doesn't say anything about trucha signing it.

Now, Ios 202 installer says:
Error
Could not find a vulnerable IOS! Run
DOP-Mii or Trucha Bug Restorer to install
one.

So yea, I'm having trouble here.
June 06, 2010 05:19PM
Just make IOS 37 the way it was, then. Let's try offline installation. From the WiiBrew Wiki, there are these instructions:

* Download IOS57 v5661 using NUSD.
o The folder that NUSD outputs will be named 0000000100000039v5661, copy the contents of that folder into SD:/IOS/0000000100000039v5661/
* Unzip this archive directly to your SD or USB.
* Launch the installer from the homebrew channel.
* Follow on-screen prompts.
June 07, 2010 01:48PM
The IOS needs to have fakesigning support, or else the installation will fail.

I'll try the installer myself and see how it goes.
June 10, 2010 01:16PM
So why are applications dropping support for DVDx?
June 10, 2010 06:11PM
IOS202 provides USB2.0 usage as well, so many devs favor it for that reason.
June 11, 2010 03:09AM
agoaj
So why are applications dropping support for DVDx?
They are? I was under the impression the WiiMC and other DVD players supported DVDX, DISC (updated version of DVDX), and IOS202. Every developer knows not to force people to choose.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login