Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tatsunoko vs Capcom menu update.

Posted by jlenoconel 
Tatsunoko vs Capcom menu update.
July 16, 2010 07:27AM
So I downgraded my wii so that I could use my legal WADS for the system, but when I pop TvsC in it says I need to update. Is there anyway I can still play this game and keep my WADS? Will I need to do some kind of update. Please help.
Re: Tatsunoko vs Capcom menu update.
July 16, 2010 07:43AM
Why did you downgrade? You never need to downgrade for anything.
July 16, 2010 07:58AM
Downgrading is a dangerous move and i highly recommend that u never do it again. Ur lucky your wii isn't stuffed.
July 16, 2010 08:13AM
Well downgrading isn't dangerous if you know what you're doing, but even so there's no reason to do so whatsoever. You can patch the System Menu's IOS with the fake-sign bug using Dop-Mii
July 16, 2010 08:24AM
Why does downgrading stuff the wii? Oh no I am freaking out now. I used the trucha bug and all that and I didn't have any problems from what I could tell. Everything seems to be fine. OK if I need help with Dop-Mii I will ask. Thanks guys.

Which IOS do I fakesign to be able to play the newer games then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 08:28AM by jlenoconel.
July 16, 2010 09:09AM
The fake-sign is for the custom channels. For the newer games you just need newer IOSes which you can install with Dop-Mii

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 09:10AM by bg4545.
July 16, 2010 10:44AM
Can someone give me a hand? I wouldn't know which IOS's to install. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 10:44AM by jlenoconel.
July 16, 2010 02:45PM
Just a note: Depending on the System Menu you downgraded to, accepting the update could potentially permanently brick your Wii.

My advice is use dop-Mii to update ALL IOS and install System Menu 4.2.

You NEVER need trucha bug in System Menu IOS to run any channel, you only need it to run fakesigned (i.e. custom) channels from SD Menu on 4.0+
July 16, 2010 07:02PM
Why do I need to update to 4.2? Do I not just need to update the IOS's to play the game? This is confusing. I still want to keep my custom channels/WADS.
July 16, 2010 07:39PM
You'd need to update just to get rid of having to update all the time, for having an outdated system menu and IOSes. But this isn't a must, just an advise. You could skip any update by loading the disc through Gecko OS, if you have the correct IOS. For knowing which IOS it is, the only way I know is a piracy related one.

But you could play the guessing game. Just take all the update wads from the disc (using WUFE, maybe WiiXplorer and copying to the sd/usb device), and install one wad at a time, then test it. Just pay attention to not install a stub IOS wad, take them out from your guesses. Check the stubs here: [wiibrew.org]

Also, you can take out from your guesses wads like system menu, channels, BC, mIOS, boot2 and any IOS higher than 200. Most games don't have lots of IOSes to update, so it shouldn't be very difficult.
July 16, 2010 07:59PM
If you run the game through Gecko OS, and you don't have the IOS it needs, it'll ask you to install it (and will offer to do it for you). Otherwise, if you have an older revision of the correct IOS, it'll load the game and work fine.

The best solution IMO is to update because then you always will have the necessary IOS etc. for current games. But if you don't want to update (which as I stated before, would not cause you to lose any channels), the "best" solution would be: use Priiloader or StartPatch to block updates in the System Menu (if you would be installing Priiloader just for this, StartPatch is probably the better option), and then games will start with no fuss. Any time a game fails to load (i.e. gives a black screen when attempting to run it), load it with Gecko OS and accept the IOS installation prompt, then it will load from System Menu in future.
July 16, 2010 08:24PM
The Tatsunoko vs Capcom game I have is the original disc, just to confirm. I don't run iso's on my system and never felt the need to. But I do want to keep my custom channels and full functionability as far as homebrew goes. I don't see the need to update from 3.2u if I can just update the IOS's.

Everytime I have had menu 4.2 I could not install my custom WADS, so this is what is making me want to stay at 3.2u. I want to be able to install my WADS by the simpliest and most effective means.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 08:28PM by jlenoconel.
July 16, 2010 08:30PM
SifJar
If you run the game through Gecko OS, and you don't have the IOS it needs, it'll ask you to install it (and will offer to do it for you). Otherwise, if you have an older revision of the correct IOS, it'll load the game and work fine.

Thanks a lot, SifJar. I really didn't know that. Must be because I always had the correct IOS. I was discussing this with another user, and thought Gecko OS showed the correct IOS whether you have it or not, that's why I never managed to get it to work.

It'll be so much simpler now.
July 16, 2010 08:47PM
OK I have been reading around and from what I can see, I will still be able to install wads if I remove IOS249 and install a custom IOS249. So what is the safest way to update to 4.2u now or am I screwed? This is a pain. Not anyone's fault but there seems like there is so much to do.
July 16, 2010 11:32PM
cIOS 249 is related to piracy, so it's not supported here. Also, it isn't a requirement to install wads. If it's an official wad (i.e. officially signed by Nintendo) and it's not intended to downgrade something, then you need no specific IOS to install it. If it's an unofficial wad (like a custom channel), then you need an IOS with trucha bug and ES_DiVerify enabled. You can easily apply these patches using Dop-Mii, preferable in IOS36, as it's normally the default one for homebrews. So, a patched IOS36 should supply all your wad needs.
July 17, 2010 12:32AM
As Aobx says, trucha bug (technically inaccurate term in this case but thats unimportant) in IOS36 is enough to install custom channels. You can use dop-Mii to upgrade to 4.2 and upgrade all IOS. Make sure you update IOS70 to the latest non-stub revision before installing 4.2. And update all other IOS, installing any missing ones. Choose not to patch any IOS, except for IOS36, to which all patches should be applied. Finally update all channels possible through dop-Mii.
July 17, 2010 01:47AM
SifJar, what would be an appropriate term for "trucha bug"? Excluding piracy, its function is only to enable downgrade of titles? I thought it could be used to bypass a sign check, but HBC isn't official and it uses a clean IOS, even though, HBC boots just fine.
July 17, 2010 01:11PM
The term trucha bug is fine, but patched IOS that have "trucha bug" patched in do not truly have the trucha bug. Trucha bug required the first byte of the hash of the signed content to be correct. The IOS patch makes the IOS bypass all signature checks completely, meaning no bytes are necessary for fakesigned content to be installed. A more appropriate term in this case would be "IOS with Signature Check removed" or "IOS that accepts fake signatures". However, it is commonly known as "patching trucha bug into IOS" (perhaps caused, at least in part, by the name of Trucha Bug Restorer), and using a different term confuses people.
July 17, 2010 04:47PM
Even the original early IOSes from Nintendo bypass signature checks? Or these really have the "trucha bug", as an appropriate term?

Do you know any utility for "trucha bug" or "signature check removed", other than downgrading titles?
July 17, 2010 05:37PM
Yeah the early IOS have trucha bug (i.e. you do need to fakesign stuff to install them with those IOS. With patched IOS, you don't even need to bother).

And yeah there are other uses of an IOS that accepts fake signatures (this term applies to trucha IOS and IOS with sig check removed). For example, installing custom channels (HBC is exempt from this as TT are awesome and can find other IOS exploits no one else has really bothered too. Except the Riivolution team, who also have another IOS exploit), installing stuff like Priiloader, installing themes (if you like that sort of thing, i don't really, but its down to personal preference I guess), dumping/flashing files to NAND (through tools like FSToolbox), patching System Menu...there are probably more I can't think of right now. Downgrading titles is a very minor use of a fake signature accepting IOS, in fact it is almost completely pointless if you have an IOS that accepts fake signatures already. (Only useful reason to downgrade a title that I know of is TBR).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login