Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew Install Problems

Posted by ScuttleButt31 
Homebrew Install Problems
September 16, 2009 05:25AM
Ok, here it goes. I normally have no problems when it comes to techie things, but I absolutely can NOT get the HBC to install using the Bannerbomb exploit. I have read as much as I can about installing, and I am positive I have followed the directions to a 'T'. Here's what is going on.......

I have Version 4.1U of the Wii System Menu. Using the bannerbomb file and the boot.elf file, loaded onto a 2GB Sandisk SD card that is marketed for the Wii, nothing happens. And when I mean nothing, I mean nothing. The Wii acknowledges that I have an SD card inserted into the slot, but nothing pops up on the SD section of the Channels Menu. My Wii will not freeze, load, or read anything(on that menu). I could put games in and play, save to the SD card, basically I can do whatever I want with the SD card inserted, and it changes nothing. I have tried every version of the bannerbomb exploit that is on the site, but nothing seems to work. I also reformatted the card between a couple versions of the bannerbomb to see if that would help, which it didn't. And before anyone asks, I have also tried this with a Lexar 2GB SD Premium card as well.

So, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, I'm losing my mind over here!!!!!1!
Re: Homebrew Install Problems
September 16, 2009 05:28AM
You unzipped the folders you downloaded, right? I know that sounds dumb, but I thought i may as well make sure. :P
September 16, 2009 05:37AM
Yep. I have tried unzipping to desktop then copying the files onto the SD card, and also unzipping the files directly to the SD card, neither one made a difference.
September 16, 2009 05:38AM
You don't think I am one of the unlucky few that have a Wii that isn't affected by the Bannerbomb exploit, do you?
September 16, 2009 05:50AM
Make sure the files on your SD card look like this:

ROOT:/private/wii/title/aktn/content.bin
ROOT:/boot.elf

Navigate to data management and launch the boot.elf.

If that still doesn't work, then maybe you could try a different boot file.(? :P) Download a random application from wiibrew, and take the boot.elf/dol from the folder you download, put it on the root of your SD card, and then try launching it. Make sure you get rid of the boot.elf thats already on the root of your SD card, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 05:50AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 16, 2009 05:57AM
It never crossed my mind to use the boot.dol/elf file from a different app to start it up. I will try that and update on progress in a little while.
September 16, 2009 06:02AM
Found something interesting while checking stuff on the SD card. The location for the files, when I go into properties, is just labeled as E:/, not ROOT:/xxxxxx. Any thoughts?
September 16, 2009 06:04AM
Ehm, yeah. Its not necessarily just going to look like that. Sorry for confusing you.

Double click on the private folder. The next folder inside should be called wii, then inside that it should be aktn, and then content.bin. Is that what it looks like?
September 16, 2009 06:16AM
Nope. Mine goes private>wii>title>aktn>content.bin.

Should I get rid of the title folder and give it a try?
September 16, 2009 06:59AM
Alright. Everything that has been suggested, even taking out the title folder but keeping the aktn folder, has been tried without success. The problem seems to be the bannerbomb. No matter which version I try, they do not seem to activate. Weird, but maybe I am just S.O.L.?
September 16, 2009 07:11AM
ScuttleButt31
Nope. Mine goes private>wii>title>aktn>content.bin.

Should I get rid of the title folder and give it a try?
lol, I'm sorry. The title folder is supposed to be there. Don't get rid of it.

Then try running a different dol/elf.
Sorry. :P I missed that one.
September 16, 2009 02:43PM
Well......I have tried it with and without the title folder. Doesn't make a difference if I have it in there or not. I have also tried a couple different boot.elf/dol files, and they don't do anything either. Im going to try to do another rundown of all the bannerbomb files, just in case I missed one or something. Do you know of anyone else who has not been able to get any of the bannerbomb files to work?
September 16, 2009 07:14PM
and you said you are following this part to a T?:

# Do NOT insert your SD card into the console yet
# Power on your Wii and enter the Wii Settings menu
# Go to "Data Management" then select "Channels" and then "SD Card"
# Insert your SD card into the slot found in the front of your Wii console
# A window should appear "Load Boot.dol/elf?" Click "Yes"

What about this step:

Get a SD card. If it has a private directory, rename it temporarily, e.g. to "privateold". Having other saved channels on the same card will screw it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 07:17PM by mdbrim.
September 16, 2009 07:32PM
mdbrim
and you said you are following this part to a T?:

# Do NOT insert your SD card into the console yet
# Power on your Wii and enter the Wii Settings menu
# Go to "Data Management" then select "Channels" and then "SD Card"
# Insert your SD card into the slot found in the front of your Wii console
# A window should appear "Load Boot.dol/elf?" Click "Yes"

What about this step:

Get a SD card. If it has a private directory, rename it temporarily, e.g. to "privateold". Having other saved channels on the same card will screw it up.
To clarify what mdbrim said, if you have a private folder on your SD card before you tried running bannerbomb, it will mess it up. You have to rename the one that you previously had on your SD card to privateold.

If you didn't already have a private folder, nevermind. :P
September 16, 2009 07:36PM

To clarify what mdbrim said, if you have a private folder on your SD card before you tried running bannerbomb, it will mess it up. You have to rename the one that you previously had on your SD card to privateold.

If you didn't already have a private folder, nevermind. :P

yeah, sorry... what he said :D

It probably won't apply to you if you were doing all of this with a new fresh SD card that didn't have any saves on it...
September 16, 2009 08:40PM
I have tried this with two different SD cards that were fresh out of the packaging. Nothing was saved on them before I tried to do the HBC install.

And yes, I have followed that part to a 'T' every time I have tried to do this. I have also tried doing it without turning the Wii off in between each try. The "Load Boot.elf/dol?" window NEVER comes up for me. Also, my Wii NEVER freezes.
September 16, 2009 09:51PM
Ok try every version of bannerbomb. It should look like this:

/Private/title/atkn/content.bin (this folder is bannerbomb)
/boot.dol (this should be the hackmii isntaller)

I had my SD card in the wii, turned it on, went to data management, channels, SD card.

It should pop up asking to boot the .dol/.elf
September 16, 2009 10:33PM
ScuttleButt31
I have tried this with two different SD cards that were fresh out of the packaging. Nothing was saved on them before I tried to do the HBC install.

And yes, I have followed that part to a 'T' every time I have tried to do this. I have also tried doing it without turning the Wii off in between each try. The "Load Boot.elf/dol?" window NEVER comes up for me. Also, my Wii NEVER freezes.
When did you get your wii? And what is your FW version?
September 16, 2009 10:51PM
TopGun96
Ok try every version of bannerbomb. It should look like this:

/Private/title/atkn/content.bin (this folder is bannerbomb)
/boot.dol (this should be the hackmii isntaller)

Mine goes:

/private/wii/title/aktn/content.bin
/boot.elf

The file I get in the newest version of the Hackmii installer is .elf
September 16, 2009 10:54PM
WaxyPumpkin.

My Wii is a first generation, I got it as a birthday present from the GF right after they came out. The serial starts out with LU30xxxxxxx. The FW version I have is the newest one, 4.1U.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login