Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do you need to conncet your wii to the internet to get homebrew applications?

Posted by jonasbros 
To get homebrew applications i know you must have the homebrew browser, but to get them do i have to connect it to the internet at all? Or is it possible to do it all through an SD card?
Re: Do you need to conncet your wii to the internet to get homebrew applications?
July 06, 2009 04:19PM
No, you do not need to have your Wii be connected to the internet. You can. But again, its not necessary.
You do not need the homebrew browser!
You can download all apps on the web, for example on or via wiibrew.org

Just put them on the SD card, in the right place.
ok thanks, do you need to save them under a certian place on the card? or can it just be anywhere?
Re: Do you need to conncet your wii to the internet to get homebrew applications?
July 06, 2009 05:58PM
Obviously you need to extract them after you download them to your PC and then place the contents inside your apps folder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2009 05:58PM by Arikado.
it should look like

apps
- foldername
-- boot.dol/boot.elf
-- meta.xml (not needed)
-- icon.png (not needed)

most apps are ready-made, but you should check them to see if it looks correct.

Edit: see Arikado's post below

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2009 05:41PM by metroid_maniac.
July 06, 2009 05:59PM
metroid_maniac
-- Boot.dol/Boot.elf
Thats boot.dol/boot.elf -- the "B" must be lowercase "b"
ok, i have downloaded paint for wii from wiibrew, and it has one elf file and one dol file, do i need to copy one of these? or all of the other folders?
...what? I downloaded it and it had an apps folder with everything in?
If you download a program that already has an apps folder in the .zip file (or .rar, .7z, .whatever kind of archive), simply extract it to the root of your SD card. So if your SD card comes up as drive E: on your computer, extract the file to E:\ and it should work when you load the Homebrew Browser.
July 07, 2009 03:39PM
Tansunn
If you download a program that already has an apps folder in the .zip file (or .rar, .7z, .whatever kind of archive), simply extract it to the root of your SD card. So if your SD card comes up as drive E: on your computer, extract the file to E:\ and it should work when you load the Homebrew Browser.

Homebrew Channel, not Homebrew Browser
jonasbros
ok, i have downloaded paint for wii from wiibrew, and it has one elf file and one dol file, do i need to copy one of these? or all of the other folders?
The .elf is the old file format version, the dol is the new format, I tried wii paint and it did not work for me, so i would try another app just in case.
ELF and DOL are not old or new, both are currently used.
July 08, 2009 05:43PM
Afaik, elf is a universal executable file, whereas dol is a native Wii executable file. Therefore, I think dol may be "better" in some ways, more powerful, more stable, something like that. But I'm not really sure if dol has any benefits over elf, and I think each can be converted to the other, so it cant be that one can do stuff the other cant or anything like that.
Some apps that i have tried to run as .elfs did not work but when converted to .dols they do work, but i have .elfs that work as well.
ELF and DOL formats are essentially headers. Some older Wii ELFs might not work because devkitPro built them incorrectly.
July 10, 2009 06:46PM
SifJar
Afaik, elf is a universal executable file, whereas dol is a native Wii executable file. Therefore, I think dol may be "better" in some ways, more powerful, more stable, something like that. But I'm not really sure if dol has any benefits over elf, and I think each can be converted to the other, so it cant be that one can do stuff the other cant or anything like that.
FYI, .elf was the Wii format and .dol the Gamecube one. However, devkitPRO can produce both working .elfs and .dols which can be read and executed by the homebrew channel. See daniel_c_w's comment below.

The only reason some .elfs don't work anymore is because the homebrew channel changed it's loader code and most authors aren't properly compiling their .elfs to meet the new standard. To that end, I personally prefer elfs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 09:03PM by Arikado.
Arikado
FYI, .elf was the Wii format and .dol the Gamecube one.

AFAIK .dol is the Gamecubes and Wii's native format.
Every channel and game should be a .dol
.Elfs came with the homebrew scene.

p.s.: You're back - and you missed a day of forece forum inactivity :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 06:57PM by daniel_c_w.
July 10, 2009 07:07PM
hmm...i think elfs are universal, they can be run on many things (not the same elfs obviously, but elfs). For example, I can (theoretically) run elfs on my phone. In fact many Sony Ericssons can run them. Much more powerful than java apps apparently. Sadly I cant get elfpack to install on my phone...

but back on topic (ish) - elf on wikipedia - Exectuable and Linkable Format. Seems many systems use can use elf files. They are not Wii native files. And .dol files are. If you unpack a channel or a disc based game, you'll find a dol, I'm pretty sure. Sorry to contradict you.
July 10, 2009 09:01PM
daniel_c_w
Arikado
FYI, .elf was the Wii format and .dol the Gamecube one.

AFAIK .dol is the Gamecubes and Wii's native format.
Every channel and game should be a .dol
.Elfs came with the homebrew scene.
Yeah, you're right.
Sources: [www.wiibrew.org] and [www.wiibrew.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 09:02PM by Arikado.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login