Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

starfall or other to play ntsc vc games on my pal wii

Posted by mrgreaper 
starfall or other to play ntsc vc games on my pal wii
July 11, 2009 05:49PM
ok as you may of seen from my prevouse topic i have decided to stick with 3.2e
i have also installed bootmii (as boot2) and backed up my nand so im feeling a bit braver (a little bit)
i was looking at installing ntsc vc and playing inported games seems gecko os will do the imports but to instal ntsc vc games on my wii i have only seen one option "starfall" [wiibrew.org] but in the setup it mentions twilight hack and not bannerbomb so im guessing its quite old, is this still a viable way to use ntsc vc games?

i also installed WiiSCU (thnx WaxyPumpkin72 ) and its updating all the channels (i left the iso options alone as i have no idea what they are ...hope i aint bricked it !) i dont know if that has any bearing on the advice you give me or not
Re: starfall or other to play ntsc vc games on my pal wii
July 11, 2009 06:03PM
if you want to use wi shop you need to update IOS 60 and 61 with WiiSCU.

And how do you intend on getting the import VC games? There is no way to change your shop channel to another region anymore afaik and that only leaves WADs which are illegal so...

But starfall is perfectly viable for using import channels. As is preloader, menu loader or in fact gecko os. and all of these options can also do disc imports. preloader and starfall are both easier than gecko os, although very slightly riskier, because they can run import games from system menu (afaik) instead of having to run a homebrew. But never update from an import game.
July 11, 2009 06:08PM
SifJar
if you want to use wi shop you need to update IOS 60 and 61 with WiiSCU.

And how do you intend on getting the import VC games? There is no way to change your shop channel to another region anymore afaik and that only leaves WADs which are illegal so...

But starfall is perfectly viable for using import channels. As is preloader, menu loader or in fact gecko os. and all of these options can also do disc imports. preloader and starfall are both easier than gecko os, although very slightly riskier, because they can run import games from system menu (afaik) instead of having to run a homebrew. But never update from an import game.

cool and i was just about to edit my post to say that the update was dont but i couldnt load the wii shop channel

what exactly would be lost if i updated to the latest firmware im told if i want to use homebrew im best to stick to 3.2e but i only realy want to play games and maybe use emulators (snes9x etc)

as for the wads i had seen them to import on the web i didnt think that was illegal but if it is i wont go near them

also as im in a rush so i shant make a new topic though its on a different subject, is wii connect 24 safe? it says i need it for news and weather channel but i renbember reading about it overheating wiis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2009 06:09PM by mrgreaper.
July 11, 2009 06:14PM
WiiConnect24 is perfectly safe, I just have it disabled to stop it wasting energy and bandwidth.

WADs are illegal. How could they not be? Getting games you should be paying for, free online?

Most homebrew should work on 4.0, but tbh, I'd stay on 3.2. More homebrew will work there and you're not really missing much.
July 11, 2009 11:29PM
I just brought a motion plus, it was that or red steel so once I get some games the motion should be errr plused if I don't need 4.0 for that then I'm golden.

The vc wads weren't free hence me thinking them legit (can't find the site now lol) I shall avoid if illegal but I'm sure it had nintendo in the site url and it was all in$ not £.
July 12, 2009 12:18AM
Just because a site has "nintendo" in the URL doesn't mean it's supported by Nintendo! That site is illegally distributing Nintendo software.
July 12, 2009 12:54AM
Yikes ok well forget the vc questions. I just googled the motion plus to see how effective it is, I just partedwith £19.99 for something that only has one game out "pga tour 10" ....crud lol I was thinking they were aall going to use it, it would still be good to know if I need 4.0 to use it, I will look up ios 61 in that slightly scary program lol
July 12, 2009 01:54AM
You shouldn't need 4.0 to use the WiiMotionPlus. Just update the four IOSes with WiiSCU and it should work just fine.
July 12, 2009 05:57AM
MattMan
You shouldn't need 4.0 to use the WiiMotionPlus. Just update the four IOSes with WiiSCU and it should work just fine.

i went to install the ios files ,ios16,38,60 and 61 but the options are -trucha and +trucha i have no idea which i need to select and the readme doesnt seem to mention them :(
July 12, 2009 06:33AM
It doesn't really matter, but I'd suggest the +trucha. :)
July 12, 2009 01:01PM
There are other games out. Grand Slam Tennis uses it. And Red Steel 2 and Wii Sports Resort (both out soon) also both use it.
July 12, 2009 05:56PM
Thank you I installed all ios files +truncha seems to all work lol, is there a way to have homebrew as its own channel ie snes9x as one gecko os as a 2nd channel etc etc?
July 12, 2009 06:05PM
not legally no.
July 12, 2009 06:43PM
SifJar
not legally no.

Ok, I can understand the use of wad files are illegal but were not aloud to use homebrew as a channel? If its illegal then I shan't do it but its annoying we can't set a console we own up how we want lol there seems to be a fine line between legal and illegal when it comes to homebrew

But I spose I only need to use gecko os for imported games (and games that try to update my wii hmmm actuly ii guess that will be every recent game I buy)

As for snes9x I could buy the games again (though I wish I could send the original artridges to nintendo and be credited with eqivelent vc games :) )
July 12, 2009 07:43PM
You can still launch homebrew from HBC, and if you set up BootMii or Preloader, you can have your Wii autoboot HBC, meaning it takes no longer than if the homebrew was a channel. In fact, if you get preloader, and use crazy intro, it will boot with a custom health screen, and from there you press A to access system menu and B to access HBC. That way it will take no longer to get homebrew than if it was installed as a channel, and you can also choose to boot to the System Menu.

But besides custom channels being illegal (well, the channels arent technically illegal, but the only tool to create them is), they're dangerous. An error in the banner or when installing them and you can bannerbrick, causing your wii to not boot. Of course you can fix this with BootMii with a NAND dump, or by using preloader to boot HBC, and then removing the installed channel, but still...Basically, stay away for now. Although, WADder 3.0 is meant to launch at the end of July, and is supposedly completely legal, but the creator also claimed the last version was legal and it wasn't...
July 12, 2009 08:43PM
I have bootmii installed I did notice the hbc as an option though having to get up and hit reset (my wii is next a projector a good distance from my seat, and I'm very lazy lol)
July 12, 2009 10:18PM
mrgreaper
I have bootmii installed I did notice the hbc as an option though having to get up and hit reset (my wii is next a projector a good distance from my seat, and I'm very lazy lol)
Use a gamecube controller then :-P Also, like SifJar said, you can set up BootMii to autoboot to the HBC, skipping the BootMii menu.
August 22, 2009 10:17PM
what software do i need to import games, when i already have version 4.0. (living in Europa, got a games from usa,)
August 22, 2009 11:21PM
Gecko OS. And dont troll old threads, just start a new one. Or a simple search should probably have done the job.
August 23, 2009 03:09AM
Arikado
mrgreaper
Use a gamecube controller then :-P Also, like SifJar said, you can set up BootMii to autoboot to the HBC, skipping the BootMii menu.

...or just take out the SD card =p
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login