Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cIOS downsides?

Posted by flyguy 
cIOS downsides?
July 29, 2009 03:09AM
Well...I have cIOS installed for non-warez apps like Dop-IOS and startpatch. However I was wondering if this could have any downsides to my wii's performance or anything else not wanted.
Thanks for the help in advance.
Re: cIOS downsides?
July 29, 2009 03:15AM
I don't think there are any downsides...Except maybe a temptation to use warez LOL! :P
July 29, 2009 03:33AM
Yeah, it's just another IOS..
July 29, 2009 04:06AM
Lol... :-P
however I have morals unlike a lot of people...
However I did here about wiimotes unsyncing randomly or the player number will switch.... But hasn't happened to me yet.
July 29, 2009 04:19AM
flyguy
Lol... :-P
however I have morals unlike a lot of people...
However I did here about wiimotes unsyncing randomly or the player number will switch.... But hasn't happened to me yet.
Eh. Sounds bogus to me. :P

Edit: I have a cIOS installed, and the only thing I've been tempted to do was get the SSB64 ROM. I ended up switching my shop region to japanese and buying it. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2009 04:19AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
July 29, 2009 04:36AM
Umm... One question, wouldn't the game be in japaneese or am I completely off?
July 29, 2009 04:43AM
flyguy
Umm... One question, wouldn't the game be in japaneese or am I completely off?
it is, but it doesn't affect the gameplay at all...
July 29, 2009 04:49AM
Surprisingly, a lot of stuff is in english. The announcer speaks english, the names of the characters are in english, and the item and stage names are in english, too. Navigating the Japanese shop channel is easy, because oddly, a lot of its in english. I'm not really sure why lol. :P
July 29, 2009 05:12AM
WaxyPumpkin72
Navigating the Japanese shop channel is easy, because oddly, a lot of its in english. I'm not really sure why lol. :P
Really? I should check that out before I change the black Wii I'm gonna get..
July 29, 2009 05:28AM
bg4545
WaxyPumpkin72
Navigating the Japanese shop channel is easy, because oddly, a lot of its in english. I'm not really sure why lol. :P
Really? I should check that out before I change the black Wii I'm gonna get..
lol, you think I'm lying?!?jk. :P

I'm not sure about the updates that they give (you know, the little updates they give you before you start shopping) because for some reason my wii didn't receive them...Those might be in Japanese, I'm not sure, though...
July 29, 2009 07:48AM
Should have picked up the European release, Waxy :P
Err... I'm not off topic, honest.
July 29, 2009 08:59AM
PhoenixTank
Should have picked up the European release, Waxy :P
Err... I'm not off topic, honest.
Ehm, what? :/
July 29, 2009 09:06AM
The original SSB was released on the European VC a month or so ago, Waxy. Should have quoted, I guess :P
July 29, 2009 02:53PM
Erm... Back on topic, what about updating the cIOS will that cause any problems with apps that were meant for cIOS (but a lower version)
July 29, 2009 04:53PM
flyguy
Erm... Back on topic, what about updating the cIOS will that cause any problems with apps that were meant for cIOS (but a lower version)
That's not supported here ;)

Regarding downsides; Yes, there may be many depending on the cIOS. The PatchMii and MPlayerCE USB cIOS don't have any downsides, but others, particularly those in slot 249, install megatons of rewritten modules and "features" you don't need and shouldn't have installed.
July 29, 2009 05:58PM
Arikado
flyguy
That's not supported here ;)

Regarding downsides; Yes, there may be many depending on the cIOS. The PatchMii and MPlayerCE USB cIOS don't have any downsides, but others, particularly those in slot 249, install megatons of rewritten modules and "features" you don't need and shouldn't have installed.

im not talking about warez apps im talking about apps like dop-IOS and yes i am talking about wninkoko's cIOS because startpatch requires the one in slot 249. (so does dop-IOS)
Not trying to be contradictory here but isnt the SDHC module helpful for those on lower firmwares?
July 29, 2009 11:57PM
flyguy
Not trying to be contradictory here but isnt the SDHC module helpful for those on lower firmwares?

Not really. SDHC support was, and is, application dependent.
Homebrew application supported SDHC way before the system menu did.
July 30, 2009 12:18PM
You shouldn't be using an updatable cIOS. The only one which installs to 249 which is supported here is Tona's PatchMii cIOS. And there hasn't been a new version of it in a LONG time, iirc.
July 30, 2009 02:38PM
Well for some reason startpatch can't run off tona's. However it does work with others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 02:40PM by flyguy.
July 30, 2009 11:24PM
flyguy
Well for some reason startpatch can't run off tona's.
All starpatch needs is the trucha bug. tona's does have the trucha bug. I don't know where you came up with this idea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login