Re: Channels for homebrew apps
September 11, 2009 10:13PM
After that installing the channel is my problem and is to not be discussed here right?
September 11, 2009 10:14PM
swirleydude
WaxyPumpkin72
swirleydude
cactusjack901
once again, I make my point of "what's wrong with going to the Homebrew Channel?"
Nothing just thought it would be cool to try something different, plus less delay as one only has to wait for the system menu and you app to load instead of the system menu and then the HBC and then your app
If you install bootmii as boot2, then you can almost immediately launch the HBC, and the load your app right afterwards. I do this, and it takes about 15 seconds for me to get an app running after I press the power button.

just a little iffy about using an app that writes to the boot sector when no other app can. If it screws up then nothing other than the app that screwed up in the first place to fix it with.
If you don't want to install it, I guess thats how its gonna be, buy you really honestly should at least try. I can't think of a reason why it would brick just by trying the installation process, and if it does install, then you don't ever need to be worried about accidentally bricking your wii. If you do, just do a NAND restoration, and everything will go back to normal.

You really should try to install it. :)
September 11, 2009 10:16PM
is it just a boot loader like grub on the pc? besides the point of this was to make it easier for my anti-tech-savy wife to play bubble bobble
September 11, 2009 10:23PM
yeah, it's almost exactly like GRUB, except you only see it when the SD card is inserted.
September 11, 2009 10:23PM
If you install bootmii, it will make it easier for her to access "bubble bobble" (i've never heard of that app before.....). As I said before, its easy and fast access to the apps. And its a brick protection.
September 11, 2009 10:24PM
Bubble Bobble was an NES game, he's trying to make a channel for FCEU GX I think
September 11, 2009 10:25PM
cactusjack901
Bubble Bobble was an NES game, he's trying to make a channel for FCEU GX I think
Ah, I see. Thats a funny name. haha
September 11, 2009 10:26PM
yeah, kinda is. One hell of a game though
September 12, 2009 02:11AM
Bubble Bobble... awesome game!!

it appears everyone on this forum is scared of this topic...

It doesn't matter why he wants to do put it as a channel (easier for the wife, he's lazy, it's cool)... every seems to be walking on eggshells and telling him to do other things / just load it normally...

If there is a legal way to do it now (which it seems there is) then help him do that. If you are providing assistance for a legal method you aren't going to get banned.

Now the case may be that this new legal way is so new that no one KNOWS how to do it... in which case just say i don't know. But don't try to talk the guy out of doing something that's totally legal now.

P.S. I would tell you how but i'm one of the guys that has no idea how to do it :D but if i figure it out, i'll let you know!
September 12, 2009 06:28AM
umm why do banners contain illegal stuff, what do they contain

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2009 06:31AM by darklink.
September 12, 2009 07:19AM
darklink
umm why do banners contain illegal stuff, what do they contain

the banners usually have animations stolen from official (I.E. copyrighted) banners

mdbrim
Now the case may be that this new legal way is so new that no one KNOWS how to do it... in which case just say i don't know. But don't try to talk the guy out of doing something that's totally legal now.

P.S. I would tell you how but i'm one of the guys that has no idea how to do it :D but if i figure it out, i'll let you know!

The program is Benzin, I just have no idea how to use it. I won't lie, I've been tempted to figure it out, but I'm just too lazy
September 12, 2009 07:43AM
I just have no idea how to use it. I won't lie, I've been tempted to figure it out, but I'm just too lazy

sounds exactly like me!!!

I have no idea how to use it... and have been tempted to figure it out... now that there is a legal way to do this stuff, maybe we'll start seeing some growth of it here.
September 12, 2009 07:54AM
mdbrim
I just have no idea how to use it. I won't lie, I've been tempted to figure it out, but I'm just too lazy

sounds exactly like me!!!

I have no idea how to use it... and have been tempted to figure it out... now that there is a legal way to do this stuff, maybe we'll start seeing some growth of it here.
Yeah, that'd be cool. I honestly don't understand any of it. If someone more experienced could explain it to us, that'd be nifty!! :D
September 12, 2009 12:33PM
Benzin probably isnt the tool to use, as he doesn't sound too knowledgable on the subject (no offence) and benzin is pretty advanced. You still need to know exactly how all the stuff in banners work, and you can easily bannerbrick your wii if you use an incorrectly sized image. However, you can use ChannelMaker 3 with little or no experience afaik, and its legal, and on WiiBrew. As long you use a legal base wad, its legal. And they do exist. But I probably cant tell you where to get them. However, I believe ChannelMaker 3 may have a "Base WAD browser" which allows you to download legal base WADs directly in the app. Therefore, ChannelMaker 3 is probably the best tool for him to use.
September 12, 2009 03:09PM
I'll try the channel maker 3, but benzin looks a little out there, I'll wait till it's a little more refined. Is there any word as to when the windows binary is going to be coming out for channel maker? If not who can I bug to get it done?
September 12, 2009 03:13PM
Well, you can just run the python script by installing python and all necessary libraries.
September 12, 2009 06:23PM
SifJar
Well, you can just run the python script by installing python and all necessary libraries.
'

Thats a bit hard. I'll get a windows binary for the next version when I'm sure theres no bricking bugs and such (and other lame stuff, like the icon selector not working at all, etc)
September 12, 2009 06:46PM
Well, its not that hard. I easily found the three libraries needed for wii.py, then ran wii.py, then ran ChannelMaker 3 successfully. I didnt actually make a channel, but it ran fine. There are windows binaries for all three libraries required, and they were all very easy to find.
September 15, 2009 07:39PM
SifJar
Well, its not that hard. I easily found the three libraries needed for wii.py, then ran wii.py, then ran ChannelMaker 3 successfully. I didnt actually make a channel, but it ran fine. There are windows binaries for all three libraries required, and they were all very easy to find.

I have very limited experience with Python, just did some Google App Engine stuff, if you could provide linkage it would be awesome.
September 15, 2009 08:03PM
Just download the binaries from the following pages and run them, then download the ChannelMaker3 source and run channelmaker.py.

Here are the links:

WxPython : [www.wxpython.org]
PyCrypto : [www.voidspace.org.uk]
PIL : [www.pythonware.com]

Install Python 2.6, then download the binaries which say for python 2.6 on each of those pages and run them. Then run ChannelMaker and it'll work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login