Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is online play for emulators on the Wii possible?

Posted by karnov 
February 27, 2010 09:28AM
Will this ever happen?
Re: Is online play for emulators on the Wii possible?
February 27, 2010 01:50PM
1. Yes.
2. Maybe.
March 03, 2010 10:11PM
I would love to play my snes and nes games online as I live abroad and want to play games with my family who still in the UK. How soon is online on the snes and nes emulators likely to happen?
March 03, 2010 10:16PM
As soon as you make it happen.

Absolutely no one is working on it and my understanding is that it's on the bottom of the to-do list.
March 04, 2010 02:23AM
Why exactly is it on the bottom to do list when its a feature that so many people want on their emulators? I have no knowledge of programming otherwise I would have done something about it by now, without resorting to asking questions now, wouldn't I?

Thank you.

James
March 04, 2010 03:01AM
I think you understand what he is getting at...

He knows you don't have any experience coding, and that you are just another guy coming in and asking how soon something will be done so you can start enjoying it. So many people come in and say when can you add this feature for me and don't contribute anything.

Is there anything wrong with that? not if you don't mind the answer you got...

You asked a question... you got an answer... it wasn't what you where hoping for... oh well.

Why exactly is it on the bottom to do list when its a feature that so many people want on their emulators?

This is a hobby... not a job. Most people here do things because they want to see if it can be done and it interests them, not because they are getting paid to do a job for someone else... but i'm sure you already know that. And yes, a lot of people probably want this done... but it aint the easiest thing to do. So stand by

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 03:15AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
March 04, 2010 03:14AM
I don't think anything beneficial is coming from this topic.

For the moment I disagree--Arikado

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 03:27AM by Arikado.
March 04, 2010 03:37AM
Your request may be on the top of the fanboy "Wish List" but it appears to me as something rather trivial to the emulator developers at this point int time. Their primary focus should be getting the emulation as close to perfect as possible and adding in as much as possible to make the emulation experience enjoyable. Where would be on [Insert_super_hard_game_here] without cheat codes and solid input controls? And how much would you still enjoy the emulator if it didn't have a beautiful user interface with which to select your ROMs and customize your controls?

Regarding adding online play specifically, it's extremely difficult to do. Even though it is awesome, devs dread adding it in due to the insane amount of work it takes. As mdbrim said above, the devs don't get paid and do this for fun. Adding online play is not fun. On the PC versions of the emulators it took many people years to add in online play. For the Wii counterparts it would have to be done almost from scratch (note also that our homebrew SDK has a controversial love it or hate it networking library of functions) to be optimized for the Wii hardware. Furthermore, a great deal of the actual logical emulation process have to be rewritten to account the possibility that online play is taking place. It would require almost completely rewriting thousands of lines of code and adding many more new ones.

There's nothing wrong with asking for awesome new features for your favorite apps, but there is something wrong with demanding them. Give the developers a little respect and patience. Maybe one day they will get around to adding online play. And if not, then learn programming and do it yourself. This isn't meant to sound sarcastic or rude in any way, it's simply the reality of the situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 03:40AM by Arikado.
March 04, 2010 03:42AM
I didn't ask in a disrespectful way at all though, I asked in a positive, encouraging way. I understand full well the time coders have or don't have. I was inquiring if it was something that was hoped to be released in the future. I didn't need to know all of that mdbrim.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 03:50AM by jlenoconel.
March 04, 2010 03:47AM
OK Arikado. I agree with you. I had not idea though that it was something that wasn't in the pipeline. I believe the c64 emulator has online right now but I have not tried it. I did say that my family live abroad so that is why I would like it.

I apologize if it sounded like I was demanding online but I really wasn't. Like I said, I wasn't sure if it was a near future thing, so that's why I asked how likely in the future it will happen? Or whatever it was I asked.

Let's just respect each other and realize that some of us newer people on the board might not understand everything about homebrew and programming. I respect what people are doing for the homebrew scene but obviously fans aren't going to know everything there is to know about upcoming stuff. Hell, I know people who don't even know how to add the homebrew channel to their wii.

Thanks anyway.

James.
March 04, 2010 04:12AM
Well, like I said, I don't blame you at all for asking this. In fact, my third post on this forum was a demanding little rant to get the Wii64 team to hurry the mother, erm, ... trucker up and get their emulator working at full speed.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't find your posts to have a demanding tone. However, I thought I may have detected an air of urgency to them so I apologize that I made it my job to crush your hopes a little bit. For the record, it could still happen someday, but it will most likely take a very long time or never happen at all.

I don't have a problem with respecting you nor do I expect you to know everything. I certainly respect that your first first wasn't an idiomatic 'PLZ HELPZ ME NAO!!!!12' post. I certainly don't know everything either, but I learn more on this forum everyday.

Have an awesome day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 01:28PM by Arikado.
March 04, 2010 05:08AM
OK that's fair game. I apologize. I understand, like I mentioned before, that the C64 emulator has online play through a network somewhere in cyberspace. Is this possible through snes9x? I am grateful for whatever online we can get through emulation, even if its on a small server like with the C64. I'm not demanding it, just inquiring. I would like to help do some of the code for the emulator, but I imagine you would have to have a lot of knowledge for this and that's not something you can be taught easily.

Another thing I heard is that the online network capabilities have also been taken off of the PC versions of snes9x? Is this true? If so I guess that this is not a good sign as far as online goes for the emulator, even on wii. Anyway, whatever happens, happens. I hope one day we can get online play for snes9x wii. I just wanted to also add I notice very few bugs, if any, with the emulators at present but could be totally wrong.

I would definitely support online for wii emulators, and anything I can do to help message me, because although I do not have a lot of knowledge on coding, I do have time as I am just a college student. One more thing, is Neo Geo, CPS2, and CPS1 possible on the wii at the moment. I know the PSP has their own emulators for this and would be excited if wii was capable of having something like this also. I don't mind too much at present because I am a big 16 bit guy anyway as far as arcade ports go. Maybe something like this could get off of the ground. I will look into some programming myself if I can help. Thanks a lot.

James.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login