Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread

Posted by Arikado 
Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread
June 14, 2009 03:04PM
Keep all discussion relating to a homebrew internet browser in here from now on please.
[IDEA] Homebrew Web Browser
June 03, 2009 04:48AM
We all know that Nintendo has an official web browser (Internet Channel by Opera Software) out in the Wii Shop Channel. However, that browser hasn't been updated since it's initial launch. It's slow, buggy, and outdated.

My idea is for someone (not me - I sux at coding :P ) to develop a homebrew web browser for the Wii. It could have the Gecko rendering engine (Frefox's engine), full Flash 10 support, as well as web standards compliance.

So, is my idea good or bad?
Re: [IDEA] Homebrew Web Browser
June 03, 2009 04:49AM
Hey moderator,should this be moved to Ideas and Requests? :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2009 04:49AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 03, 2009 04:54AM
This has been discussed to death and AFAIK multiple ones are in development.
June 03, 2009 05:01AM
@pm_41: See this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2009 05:02AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 06, 2009 03:59PM
pm_41

My idea is for someone to develop a homebrew web browser for the Wii.

So, is my idea good or bad?

Doe'sn't that already exist ? I got an Homebrew Browser on my Wii...
June 06, 2009 04:00PM
Web is the key word in the topic.
June 10, 2009 03:34AM
Just thinking: Why hasn't anybody tried to port Fennec(Mobile Firefox) to the Wii? I don't know much about C so I don't know how hard that would be.
June 10, 2009 09:08AM
I love it when people go "Why hasn't anyone tried to port X to the Wii?" Usually, the answer is because most of these programs don't run in a void, but they depend on the operating system to do a lot of things for them. Any porting effort would likely end up rewriting large ports of an OS, which would not be fun. Porting isn't some magic process where you just give the right compiler commands and get a working program. Really, something to this effect should be stickied somewhere, in addition to the "No warez" and such.
[Request] Internet
June 14, 2009 02:35PM
i was woundering if any one would be considering making a internet channel for the homebrew channel which has the latest flash and can it be done?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2009 02:35PM by TheHubbard.
Re: Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread
June 26, 2009 09:29PM
That would be nice to have an Internet Browser on Homebrew!
new web browser and others
June 19, 2009 08:57PM
i propose a new web browser, firefox if possible opera is alright but it would be nice if you can actually download things off the web like flash player and mmorpgs and such and just have them saved either on the wii its self or on a sd card another thing instead of having the wii remote as the mouse make it so you can use the nunchuck i think it would be abit easier :) hope you consider all of this it would be nice also if its its possible make it so we can type without useing the keyboard screen but if not thats aight with me:) just a suggestion
Re: new web browser and others
June 19, 2009 09:26PM
java would be nice to : )
June 19, 2009 11:51PM
how is the analog stick easier than wiimote for mouse control?!? wiimote is just as accurate as a mouse, far closer than an analog stick. come on, do you really think analog stick would be better? because then you'd be WRONG!!! (oj, you're entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong, lol)

but anyway, this has been suggested loads of times and i think one is in production, but it wont actually be firefox, it'll just be a browser. it's probably actually easier to start from scratch than try to port firefox (just speculating here, i could be wrong)
June 20, 2009 04:18AM
vekuta
but it would be nice if you can actually download things off the web like flash player

It doesn't work the way I guess you think.
You can't just download any flash player. A new flash player would have to be developed for the Wii AND the new browser you suggest.
June 22, 2009 01:08AM
yeah i guess you guys are right but there just ideas even if they are bad :/ but still it would be nice to have a good FP (flash player) so you can play games and watch vids other then youtube anywho thanks for your guys opinions :)
June 22, 2009 05:32AM
Okay, here's the run down with this browser:
1. Flash 10 or @least 9 is definitely possible.
2. Java is out of the question because you cant run 2 things at once like this and would have integrate it into the browser and plus it would make the browser slow because of javas size 2nd it would a waste of time just to play a couple of MMORPGs.
3. We are talking crappy RAM on wii no way can you download onto wii unless an ext. hard drive involved but an sd card is very absolute to download stuff to. Examp. wii shop channel and homebrew browser stream things using internet onto SD. Plus wii RAM is unreliable, Nintendo's next update could overwrite it or patch it like Tw Hck.
June 22, 2009 07:41AM
I think the first step would be a basic html 4.1 web browser.

In various areas of the forum this has been talked about but never done. Personally I'd just love to get going on this but I'm already loaded with the current projects I'm doing. I guess if anyone else is interested we could set up a project for a homebrew web browser.
June 22, 2009 07:58AM
Gamewizard71
1. Flash 10 or @least 9 is definitely possible.

Really? Did Adobe release enough documents, or was there a major reverse engineering effort?

Gamewizard71
2. Java is out of the question because you cant run 2 things at once like this and would have integrate it into the browser and plus it would make the browser slow because of javas size
Of course, you can "run" 2 things at once.
And how does the size (!) of a JAVA VM slow down a browser?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 07:59AM by daniel_c_w.
June 22, 2009 11:10PM
Should we create "one browser thread to tab them all"?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login