Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread
November 19, 2009 08:51PM
oh ok then, i thought you rendered and parsed? oh well, after taking some programming classes i should be able to figure out why my code is buggy and then fix that and then try to help you guys

also, i am taking part in the BIO which a programming comp for the uk, its sponsored by lionhead studios (fable 2 makers) and so thought it would be interesting, i also seem to be learing a lot about program structuring and generally good habits so it should be of some help
November 26, 2009 02:09AM
seems like you guys are making a lot of progress, even if doesn't seem like it.
November 30, 2009 12:33AM
I can't wait until this is done. Are you guys going to release a beta version beforehand, or just go directly to stable release?
December 07, 2009 08:50PM
Hman360
I can't wait until this is done. Are you guys going to release a beta version beforehand, or just go directly to stable release?
it has been proven that releasing betas improves software development (i.e. win7, cod 5, firefox, chrome, opera and many more) so we might release a public beta seeing as though this shouldnt kill your wii

just realised that SDL had built in networking and that it comes in SDLWii, might have a look if it works, the code will probably beat what i currently work off so its a win win

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 09:10PM by SteelSLasher.
December 15, 2009 09:47AM
I've been thinking a bit.

Voice control! That would really take the piss out of opera if that was included!

Wires! The wii contains only two usb ports and many people thought they might be able to use a usb keyboard, usb mouse, webcam, usb microphone, e.t.c

Thats all i can think of for now and i would love to help on this project too! I cant code but i will be able to create menus, the icon.png and the xml document.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 09:39AM by aidanharris.
December 15, 2009 10:20PM
aidanharris
Some ideas that need to be addressed

Voice control! That would really take the piss out of opera if that was included!

uh, no. You said these things NEED to be addressed. That is a feature, which, if added, would be WAY down the line. It is not an important feature, it's a reasonably useless for most extra.

Wires! The wii contains only two usb ports and many people thought they might be able to use a usb keyboard, usb mouse, webcam, usb microphone, e.t.c

Heard of a USB hub? That is the only way this "problem" can be solved, and it already exists.
December 17, 2009 09:43AM
aidanharris

Sifjar
uh, no. You said these things NEED to be addressed. That is a feature, which, if added, would be WAY down the line. It is not an important feature, it's a reasonably useless for most extra.

Voice control would be good though wouldn't it??? Obviously it would be hard to set up but if it was to be included in the app you could type and chat a lot quicker, because research actually indicates that a lot of people talk faster than they type!

Also the whole idea of making this is because Nintendo couldn't! Just think about how many people up in that head office of Nintendo you would be annoying? Sweet isn't it? :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 09:44AM by aidanharris.
December 17, 2009 05:02PM
aidanharris
Also the whole idea of making this is because Nintendo couldn't! Just think about how many people up in that head office of Nintendo you would be annoying? Sweet isn't it? :P
Erm, no. Annoying Nintendo isn't the goal, here.
December 17, 2009 06:06PM
aidanharris
Voice control would be good though wouldn't it??? Obviously it would be hard to set up but if it was to be included in the app you could type and chat a lot quicker, because research actually indicates that a lot of people talk faster than they type!

I have never found voice control very accurate, but besides that, it may be a nice feature. However, my point is it isn't an essential feature. There are one or two things above it in my book, such as web browsing etc. You know, seeing as its a web browser we're talking about here. And BTW, I highly doubt people in Ninty head office are following homebrew internet broswers.
December 18, 2009 09:32AM
sifjar
BTW, I highly doubt people in Ninty head office are following homebrew internet broswers.

ROTFLOL

Any way your right it would be a neat feature but it's just not accurate enough, I've seen loads of reviews of things that have voice control on T.V and until the I-Phone 3GS I don't think any of them has worked!

Any way, keep up the good work! :P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 09:34AM by aidanharris.
January 05, 2010 01:49AM
how about a history function like Internet explorer that can hold up to 3 days
January 08, 2010 09:19PM
aidanharris
sifjar
BTW, I highly doubt people in Ninty head office are following homebrew internet broswers.

ROTFLOL

Any way your right it would be a neat feature but it's just not accurate enough, I've seen loads of reviews of things that have voice control on T.V and until the I-Phone 3GS I don't think any of them has worked!

well why not have the user calibrate the system to compare the wave patterns for each individual letter since many urls do not consist of words so spoken letter recognition would be the most profficient choice as its easy calibrate (26 letters, 10 digits and a few non-alphanumeric chars)
January 12, 2010 09:48AM
SteelSLasher
aidanharris
sifjar

ROTFLOL

well why not have the user calibrate the system to compare the wave patterns for each individual letter since many urls do not consist of words so spoken letter recognition would be the most profficient choice as its easy calibrate (26 letters, 10 digits and a few non-alphanumeric chars)

Good come back! Any way it would only be used for typing in forums like this one and for websites that dont have so many symbols like this one or google for example. You could also use it for commands on the actual menu and develop some training software that saves your file on the sd card and then the internet browser would detect and use this file!
January 21, 2010 09:26PM
aidanharris
Good come back! Any way it would only be used for typing in forums like this one and for websites that dont have so many symbols like this one or google for example. You could also use it for commands on the actual menu and develop some training software that saves your file on the sd card and then the internet browser would detect and use this file!

thanks for the complement, it wont be my only innovative idea, you say it should be used for forums, i say thats too much, the current wii browser isnt even used that much anyway, a homebrew browser would only be popular if it had useful features that the internet channel didnt, i understand speech to text would be useful but its too difficult to implement since letters in words dont always form phonetic pronounciations (pneumatic, knight/night, know/no, hate/haiti)

if english was more phonetic it would be easier, that is why letter recognition would be easier, profiles per person can be made, wont be language dependent

also, if the best pc utility creates minor errors, i am sure that amateur programmers wont get anywhere near

the homebrew browser needs to be everything the internet channel is PLUS more useful (file downloading, news reader, internet radio,) i know that most of these have their own apps but that just shows domestic weakness, if we can put all these together it means a person can download one app and use that for everything. if we can produce an everything app we might get more attention from the mainstream consumers thus creating mass hysteria

homebrew = anti-corporation
We need the best browsing experience we can get
January 24, 2010 02:50AM
I personally would like:
A download system
ActiveX and appropriate security
Shockwave

Hope this helps!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2010 02:53AM by davidcalman_32.
Re: We need the best browsing experience we can get
January 25, 2010 09:58PM
davidcalman_32
I personally would like:
A download system
ActiveX and appropriate security
Shockwave

Hope this helps!
Appropriate response:
1. Yeah, fair does
2. only if bushing can make a hack that allows you to play a wii game and have the wii water your plants, and cut your lawn
3. seriously! how many sites other than miniclip use flash

note:
m$ owns activex
who would want to hijack a wii
if you did hijack a wii there would be very little to do
appropriate seurity is just using an ios that fullfills the needs exactly, with no "extra" features that we dont need, the most important thing is to disable nand access, we dont need it, shouldnt need it, and not having it just makes hijacking the browser that bit more pointless
Re: We need the best browsing experience we can get
February 01, 2010 05:12AM
ActiveX=x86 Win32 stuff.
February 01, 2010 05:22AM
You know what would have been funny is if you had asked instead of " who would want to hijack a Wii?" you had said "who would want to hack a Wii?".

Anyways what would be the use of a download system? Flash slows down computers so it would especially slow down the Wii considering it's limited hardware. And we've already shot down the security idea.
February 01, 2010 09:04PM
The use of a download system would be so you can download stuff =P. Whenever I am browsing the internet from any device, I usually want to download stuff, and depending on the device, I can't. Its quite annoying when that happens I feel.
February 01, 2010 11:06PM
Crisco
Anyways what would be the use of a download system? Flash slows down computers so it would especially slow down the Wii considering it's limited hardware. And we've already shot down the security idea.

1. Downloading new apps that aren't available from HBB to the Wii, for instance.
2. The Internet Channel has Flash.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login