Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread
June 27, 2012 04:45PM
Why aren't you using webkit based browser.
You can optimize webkit as you wish.

E.g. Firefox is also based on webkit.
July 12, 2012 01:14PM
Errmmm...last I checked, Firefox used Gecko, not WebKit, and only Chrome and Safari used Apple WebKit?
Dillo web browser
August 04, 2012 10:04PM
It is possible to port the Dillo web browser from Easy Wii-Linux as a seperated homebrew application?
November 26, 2012 12:21AM
There were at least 3 homebrew web browsers being developed for the Wii:
WiiBrowse
WiiXplore
WorldWiideWeb
Unfortunately they are all unfinished and none of them plays Flash movies that require Flash 9 or above... :(
Too bad no one created Chrome or Firefox ports for the Wii! :P
November 26, 2012 10:15AM
XICO2KX
being developed

Not "being" developed; looking at the source of each, none of them have received any commits in the last 3 years. I think it's safe to say they're abandoned at this point.

XICO2KX
Unfortunately they are all unfinished and none of them plays Flash movies that require Flash 9 or above... :(
Too bad no one created Chrome or Firefox ports for the Wii!

Porting Chrome or Firefox is not a simple task, as you make it out to be. It would be extremely hard, probably more so than creating a new browser as these projects attempted to do. It would also not mean that Flash would work; that would require Flash player to be ported. If that was done, it could be done for any of the browsers you linked, it wouldn't have to be Firefox/Chrome. Big problem there though is that all the open source Flash players (Gnash etc.) only support up to Flash 8 or something like that, as the APIs changed after that and were kept secret by Adobe. It would require extensive reverse engineering of the current flash players to create an open source implementation. It's just not worth it.
December 07, 2012 06:47PM
Actually there's another wii web browser and this IS in development:
WiiBrowser -> note the "R" at the end
I started it last year from the sources of WiiXplore and now it's ready for public release :P
It's capable of render web pages (in a really simple way), it supports image viewing, https connections
and file downloading to sd card.
I'll be glad if someone will give it a try or gives me a hand.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login