Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wad loading

Posted by strongfan 
Wad loading
November 15, 2008 12:37AM
Is it possible to LOAD, not install, a wad from the SD card? If not, then is it possible to extract the DOL file from it?
Re: Wad loading
November 15, 2008 12:51AM
I don't know about loading, but yes, it is possible to extract the files from the WAD (http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/WAD)
November 15, 2008 02:21AM
is there a program that does that?
November 18, 2008 11:33PM
If there isn't one yet, I hope there will be... it would save us a lot of time not minding installing the wads first... it would be especially useful now, when the new update is disabling new channel-installations (or have I missunderstood something?)!
November 19, 2008 01:23PM
There will not be a generic solution for that.

Striping the contents of a wad apart is easy,
but most apps that reside in wads depend on other data stored in the wad.
For example: games will expect their data to be on the NAND.
November 19, 2008 04:21PM
Maybe noobish questin but... What is the NAND?
November 19, 2008 05:22PM
google is your friend
google search =NAND
NAND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2008 05:23PM by Qual_Tun.
November 19, 2008 05:50PM
profetylen

NAND:
in genral: a design for flash memory chips
in context of the Wii: the internal memory chip (512MB)

I should have written "internal memory" in my previous post.
November 19, 2008 07:34PM
daniel_c_w
profetylen

NAND:
in genral: a design for flash memory chips
in context of the Wii: the internal memory chip (512MB)

I should have written "internal memory" in my previous post.

Is it possible, then, to mod our Wii with a memory card and replace the 512 MB chip with a larger one? Like first copy all of the NAND data to our computer, copy that to a new memory chip, and then insert/solder (whatever) the new chip into the wii?
Then, if necessary, hack a couple of IOSs so the Wii will recognize more of the space?
November 19, 2008 08:42PM
Okay, okay! But shouln't it be possible then, to make a program that reads the WAD, extracts the DOL and the data that was supposed to be stored in the NAND, and then modifies the DOL so all of it's references to the NAND now refer to a file containing the data that should have been on the NAND?
November 19, 2008 10:06PM
God! I just remembered! The Homebrew Launcher can load already installed WADs! Maybe we can edit the source for the open source version to do that, but to load it from the SD card!
November 19, 2008 10:54PM
/\
/\
/\
How exactly that works?
Also, a WAD is a container file, right? It's like ZIP... But it's not self-installing. I mean, you need a installer to copy the right files to the right places with the right permissions to the game works in the right way. It's all about rights, right? :P
November 20, 2008 10:06AM
As far as i can see the source isn't available yet (but it wil be soon, according to [www.wiibrew.org]). However if we can get the source or in any other way code that WAD-loader, I'll be glad to help, even though I'm a bit new in this wii-coding-stuff!

Also I think DanielHueho is RIGHT!
November 20, 2008 02:10PM
Shut the hell up with wads already.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.