Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ideas I've been toying with

Posted by whodares 
Re: Ideas I've been toying with
September 05, 2008 06:30AM
strongfan
Those are both first person games. The registered version of gamemaker has limited 3d support(with the help of d3d) and one of the easiest 3d games to make with gamemaker is an FPS. So naturally, making that kind of game would be almost a piece of cake.

Were you refering to UT3? I don't think it would be a piece of cake, it would likely be a hellish brick of death projected at someones head.
September 05, 2008 11:19AM
Arikado
BASIC is a learning language. I still say that with all of the libraries and source available for C++ coders to work with, returning to BASIC would be a waste of time.
For those that know C and C++, maybe. For beginners? No

Arikado
Furthermore, I highly doubt that whodares could pull of getting BASIC programs to run on the Wii, so lets not get to upset over nothing.
Considering I've already written a scripting language for the PC with Assembler style syntax, I'm up for the challenge. Although I'm currently working on a game with a friend.

I might be able to squeeze it in though...
September 05, 2008 11:20AM
WiiPhlex
strongfan
Those are both first person games. The registered version of gamemaker has limited 3d support(with the help of d3d) and one of the easiest 3d games to make with gamemaker is an FPS. So naturally, making that kind of game would be almost a piece of cake.

Were you refering to UT3? I don't think it would be a piece of cake, it would likely be a hellish brick of death projected at someones head.

Obviously not, if the original designer managed to see it through to completion!
September 05, 2008 01:42PM
whodares
I might be able to squeeze it in though...

Please don't
September 05, 2008 03:00PM
It's really cool. Sourceforge has a project called BSCRIPT, which is a BASIC interpreter w/ source. I could possibly have a beta port released by the end of the weekend.

Looking at the code, it's really easy to extend the intrinsic functions of the language, so it should be a piece of cake to include Wiimote, SD card, and graphics (via GRRLIB, because it's ace)

Sound & network can come later when I work out how to use them in C

Then to polish it off, I'll add an IDE editor for the Wii, which could be used as partial implementation of #2 and/or #3 should I do either of them
September 05, 2008 03:24PM
The beggining of the end :p

As you know, I'm am very against this, although I don't condone C, so good luck.
September 05, 2008 09:13PM
Too complicated. Its all just talk. There's no way whodares will pull it off "by the end of the weekend".

@Warpedflash
BASIC was my first language. I actually encourage people to learn it first. So I really don't believe that people should be learning it just so that they can program on the Wii. If your really serious about programming you will get stuff running on the pc first. Then repeat the feat with a different language later.

So don't get me wrong I love BASIC. I just don't believe that it belongs on the Wii's development scene. Or else we will see shovelware programs. It's nice to think otherwise. But people are generally complete morons. Just look at how people abuse Youtube with embarassing videos of kids from school/neighborhood and hobo fights. If Wii was as easy as PRINT " " that would happen. It just does. I wish it didn't, but it just does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2008 09:20PM by Arikado.
September 05, 2008 10:42PM
at least BASIC isn't as hard as
#include 
int main(){
cout >> "Hello world!  This is more work than there needs be!";
return 0;
}
Only to find the console window just flashes at you, then you have to say

#include 
#include(cstdio);
int main(){
return 0;
system "Pause";
}
Only to find your simple hello world program is incompatible with the Wii because you used
system "Pause";

Moral of this story:
make them learn a language easier than C++.
September 05, 2008 11:59PM
system "Pause"; isn't the (only) reason that doesn't work.
September 06, 2008 01:54AM
Arikado
Too complicated. Its all just talk. There's no way whodares will pull it off "by the end of the weekend"

Urm, check this out...
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/User:Whodares/WiiBASIC

And that's one evening!

Okay, there's no IDE, but it runs code loaded off the SD Card, and supports the Wiimote in IR mode

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2008 01:55AM by whodares.
September 06, 2008 01:57AM
strongfan
#include 
int main(){
return 0;
}

#include 
#include(cstdio);
int main(){
return 0;
system "Pause";
}
Only to find your simple hello world program is incompatible with the Wii because you used
system "Pause";

Moral of this story:

lolololololol There's literally hundereads of ways of doing that. As for compatability on the wii, you just need a little thinking, a while true loop for example that prints that to the screen..
September 06, 2008 02:55AM
whodares
And that's one evening!

Okay, there's no IDE, but it runs code loaded off the SD Card, and supports the Wiimote in IR mode
Wow, that's great. Nice demo, too. How's the performance? At least I didn't see any breaks in the lines you drew; have you tried putting it to the test against C/C++?

I guess this means I'm free to try to port the Mono monster myself :)
September 06, 2008 04:23AM
strongfan
#include 
int main(){
return 0;
}

[...]

Moral of this story:

That's not a problem of the language (c or c++).
You are having problems with the library and the the operarting system.
A simple Print statement in Qbasic might "flash" as you as well.
September 06, 2008 09:54AM
AerialX
How's the performance? At least I didn't see any breaks in the lines you drew; have you tried putting it to the test against C/C++?

Well, as you can see from the posted code example, I had to have for/next loops to slow down the scrolly bit at the end :-) It runs really fast.

I might open it up for a few people for testing if anyone is interested. It would also give chance to hear other peoples opinions on it's performance, and may indicate areas where it's weak etc.

AerialX
I guess this means I'm free to try to port the Mono monster myself :)

If I didn't have quite so many projects on the go, I would definately work with you on that! Would actually probably be beneficial to me, being a .NET developer. If you do take on this task, and need help, drop me a pm/mail. I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to give you, but I'll see what I can do
September 06, 2008 04:40PM
Congratulations whodares. But I won't worry about an influx of bad programs until you get an IDE up. That will surely take more than an evening.
September 06, 2008 08:01PM
And while you're at it, do you think you can get a GUI generator running, like Visual BASIC?
September 06, 2008 10:22PM
@Arikado: Why would they wait when they can use their favourite text editor to create the file to stick on the SD card. But either way, they'll need to wait for a release anyway ;-)

@strongfan: At present there are no plans to, I haven't even designed the graphics extensions to the language yet.
I'm not actually sure if will be a help anyway, the language isn't event based (by design, but that doesn't mean you couldn't alter it), and as such, there are no widgets/controls.

To be honest, I'm not planning on taking this project any futher than a simple IDE and a language which supports most Wii features. The whole project will be open source with a GNU license (or basically what BSCRIPT had), so if you wanted to add a windowing layer to the language and a GUI editor to the IDE, you'd be free to do so.
September 07, 2008 03:09PM
lol. I expected that. Oh well. Be sure to include a compiler in the IDE... and make sure the IDE is actually ON the Wii! Also, from now on it is required that every thing on the Wiibrew scene is programmed in BASIC from here on out!
September 07, 2008 05:07PM
The IDE will definately be on the Wii...

The compiler (if I get around to writing one) will have to be sat on the PC though, to take advantage of libogc, GRRLib, Wiiuse, etc. In fact, it would probably be more of a source code converter to convert the BASIC script to C for compiling.

That type of compiler might also assist peoples learning of C syntax, when they can relate it to the BASIC applications they've produced.
September 07, 2008 05:34PM
whodares
Well, as you can see from the posted code example, I had to have for/next loops to slow down the scrolly bit at the end :-) It runs really fast.

I might open it up for a few people for testing if anyone is interested. It would also give chance to hear other peoples opinions on it's performance, and may indicate areas where it's weak etc.
I'll help test it for you :)
When I go to test a new platform it's my tradition to make a console snake game. I used it to judge Java performance on the DS once, writing the exact same game in C and Java (the result was that Java ran at about 60% the speed of the C version).

whodares
If I didn't have quite so many projects on the go, I would definately work with you on that! Would actually probably be beneficial to me, being a .NET developer. If you do take on this task, and need help, drop me a pm/mail. I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to give you, but I'll see what I can do
As much as I'd like to, it'd be a huge project and I also have my own projects I'm already working on. Maybe one day, but I doubt I'll get time to work on it anytime soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login