Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to play a new game without updating?

Posted by keybounce 
How to play a new game without updating?
October 12, 2009 08:27PM
I want to know how I can play a new game without having to install updates off the disk.

It has to be a method that is "fool proof" -- it has to work for a person that just turns the wii on, sticks a disk in, and goes to the disk channel. Nothing special.

I have a boot2v4 wii, and I'm told that this means I cannot downgrade. I've got 3.4U, and Starfall is 3.2 only.

That leaves me with Preloader and StartPatch as my choices. But from the wiki pages, I can't really tell which is the preferred way to go. I cannot tell the pros/cons of the two.

Additionally, I remember from reading the bootmii installation help page, that bootmii was compared to preloader, and saying that preloader had problems. Did I misunderstand something there?

(This relates to my other question, how to safely upgrade a 3.4 machine to a machine able to run StartPatch or Preloader.)
Re: How to play a new game without updating?
October 12, 2009 08:58PM
if this is to do with 4.2, the highest system menu available on a disc is 3.4 and only on a limited number of games
October 12, 2009 09:16PM
My advice? Upgrade to 4.1, install preloader and get the hacks.ini for your region. preloader has a few advantages over startpatch. And btw, niether works on 3.4. But if you upgrade to 4.1 (NOT 4.2, dont upgrade officially), you can use either, provided you have trucha bug.
October 12, 2009 09:23PM
doesnt gecko os block updates anyways
October 12, 2009 09:30PM
yeah, but he wants a way where he just turns on, and runs the game from disc channel. presumably because either:

a) hes lazy and couldnt be bothered starting HBC and then Gecko OS every time he wants to play a game
b) someone else uses the wii, who couldnt be taught to load gecko OS first.
October 12, 2009 09:43PM
^touche

also, i doubt that many new games will have 4.2 installed, remember when 3.4v2 came out and everyone was like "OMG its gonna haxorz my hbrew and i cant get new game" but then only a handful of games came with 3.4v2, and since twiizers has effectively killed the updates purpose by changing the title ids i doubt nintendo will follow up and stick it on discs
October 12, 2009 09:55PM
3.4v2?
October 12, 2009 10:02PM
He means 3.3v2
October 13, 2009 05:42AM
SifJar
b) someone else uses the wii, who couldnt be taught to load gecko OS first.
And that person actually "owns" the wii -- I have to be extra careful not to brick it.

While they may not change the system menu from 3.4, games like WiiFit Plus install a LOT of updates to IOS's and channels. If nothing else, the whole "Lets force people up to the new boot2" may result in 4.2 showing up on disks next year.

My advice? Upgrade to 4.1, install preloader
Ok, how?

I can follow instructions, but I don't know enough to fill in gaps in the intructions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2009 05:47AM by keybounce.
October 13, 2009 07:22PM
Does the Wii currently have any trucha bugged IOS? If not, there is nothing I can tell you here. You need trucha bug to install preloader, and methods for regaining it cannot be talked about here, as it can also be used for piracy. If you do have trucha bug, I can tell you how to upgrade to 4.1, keeping the trucha bug, but if you dont, you'll have to find out how to restore trucha bug yourself.
October 14, 2009 06:29AM
Alright, then how do I tell if I have trucha or not?

Now of course, if playing WiiFit plus removed my trucha's, then ...

(grumble grumble, being told "It's ok to upgrade from disk", or "just update from the internet", or ...)
October 14, 2009 07:47PM
Wii Fit Plus? Is that out yet?

Anyway, find out if you have trucha by downloading SignCheck 0.3b from the WiiBrew wiki, and run it. It'll display (and I think give you a file listing) all IOS, along with whether or not certain vulnerabilities are enabled. Look at the first column (trucha) and see if any IOS says enabled. If it does, you have trucha bug in that IOS, so you can install other patched IOS and fakesigned content e.g. preloder.
October 14, 2009 07:57PM
SifJar
Does the Wii currently have any trucha bugged IOS? If not, there is nothing I can tell you here. You need trucha bug to install preloader, and methods for regaining it cannot be talked about here, as it can also be used for piracy. If you do have trucha bug, I can tell you how to upgrade to 4.1, keeping the trucha bug, but if you dont, you'll have to find out how to restore trucha bug yourself.

I've got the trucha bug installed. How would you do this?

- Jon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 07:59PM by jonqpublek.
October 14, 2009 08:20PM
OK. Get dop-IOS MOD (trial 5 from testing corner), and choose to run on one of the IOS you have trucha bug in. Then select to install IOS36 and when asked, apply the Sig Hash Check patch and the ES_DiVerify (may be called ES_Identify, not sure) patch. Then update all the other IOS, without applying patches. Make sure you definetly install IOS60. Then go to the System Menu installation section, and choose to install 4.1 System Menu for your region, and install it. Then finally, update all Channels (Shop Channel etc) through dop-IOS MOD. Once this is all done, find the preloader 0.30 installer (its unofficial, but I'm pretty sure its safe) and run it. Then get a hacks.ini for your region. Once all this is done, you should be sweet.

BTW, I'd advise install BootMii as boot2 and taking a NAND dump if possible before trying this, just in case. It should all work OK, but just in case...
October 15, 2009 05:33AM
SifJar
Wii Fit Plus? Is that out yet?
Yup. Got it at Costco. The new games are wonderful; sadly, they didn't seem to fix any of the old bugs and problems.

Worse, the pet monitoring requires that you pick up your dog. Did they even consider the 100+ pound dogs? All the dog/cat mii's look like toy/small puppies, and worse, you can't edit the pet mii after you make it. Pet mii's can only be made in wii fit plus, unless the 4.1 or 4.2 upgrades include an update to the mii channel.

Anyway, find out if you have trucha by downloading SignCheck 0.3b from the WiiBrew wiki, and run it. It'll display (and I think give you a file listing) all IOS, along with whether or not certain vulnerabilities are enabled. Look at the first column (trucha) and see if any IOS says enabled. If it does, you have trucha bug in that IOS, so you can install other patched IOS and fakesigned content e.g. preloder.
When I ran signcheck, it identified every IOS as bugged, and I was told that this was a bug in signcheck.
Worse, installing Wiifit plus updated every IOS (I ran the tool that dumped what was in the update partition. Found .wad's without playing doom or quake :-).
October 15, 2009 06:14PM
Are you sure you were using SignCheck 0.3b? I believe that bug was fixed in 0.3b.

Anyway, are you sure EVERY IOS was updated? Did you check against a list of all the IOS on your Wii from SignCheck, to make sure there were none on your Wii that weren't on the disc? If there are any on your Wii which weren't on the disc, there's a chance one of them has the bug.
October 16, 2009 05:29PM
No, it was 3A, not B. Running B right now

Err, maybe. Updating other apps in HBB shows the update, the "update" button dims, and I get a checkmark.
Updating signCheck still gives me the questionmark, and the update button.
Lets see if it works ... nope, still claims 0.3a. Delete and redownload ... nope.

Deleting, and downloading from HBB still gives me 0.3a in HBC.
Nope, it still claims all of them are bugged.

IOSCheck fails.
Signcheck won't give me the current version

What does Gecko OS let me do, anyways? Downloaded it, but it's not clear.
October 16, 2009 05:59PM
Gecko OS was originally meant to be a homebrew game loader. It can now play imports, with cheats, as well as (with Trucha) cheated channels. If it requires an update, it only updates the necessary parts and not the full system.
October 17, 2009 02:27AM
> are you sure EVERY IOS was updated?

Here's what was on the disk:

IOS10-64-v768
IOS11-64-v256
IOS12-64-v11
IOS13-64-v15
IOS14-64-v262
IOS15-64-v265
IOS17-64-v517
IOS20-64-v256
IOS21-64-v522
IOS22-64-v777
IOS28-64-v1292
IOS30-64-v2816
IOS31-64-v3088
IOS33-64-v2832
IOS34-64-v3087
IOS35-64-v3088
IOS36-64-v3090
IOS37-64-v3609
IOS4-64-v65280
IOS50-64-v4889
IOS53-64-v4113
IOS55-64-v4633
IOS9-64-v520

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2009 02:28AM by keybounce.
October 18, 2009 04:54PM
I guess there's a chance IOS9 could still have trucha (I'm pretty sure it isnt stubbed, I believe Zelda uses it, but it wasnt updated, so it could still have trucha.) Download SignCheck manually from wiibrew wiki, not through Homebrew Browser. Failing that, just download dop-IOS MOD, choose to run on IOS9 and install IOS36 with both patches applied. If it works, you have trucha, and you can continue to do some more stuff I'll guide you through later. If not, you dont have trucha in IOS9. I believe dop-IOS MOD will only LET you run on a trucha IOS, so if it lets you run on any IOS, its fine, it doesnt have to be 9.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login