Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[REQUEST] DS to Wii connector

Posted by UltimatePisman 
[REQUEST] DS to Wii connector
April 03, 2009 03:36PM
You guys may know the things as Super Gameboy (GB to SNES), Gameboy N64 Expansion (don't know the actual name) (GBC to N64) and Gameboy Player (GBA to GCN).
And now I am looking for a simular Homebrew Application that connects the DS to the Wii and shows the DS screens on the TV screen.
And your DS is the controller (like you know from Pokémon Battle Revolution).
It becomes in handy if I don't have a camera to record screens from DS.

I am not asking for Emulators, ROMs or some piracy, just this Homebrew App, which I can simply start it in the Homebrew Channel, connect my DS to my Wii and play (and record, but by DVD Recorder can do this).

David B.
Re: [REQUEST] DS to Wii connector
April 03, 2009 04:03PM
currently coders have nt been able to get the DS to "talk" with the wii...

If the could, I suppose this is possible.

What can you contribute?
April 03, 2009 05:12PM
Just an idea here; have a homebrew app that connects through the router to a server on your computer, then have the same thing with the DS. Have the server link both the DS and the Wii, and there you go.

Don't know if this will work, new to the Nintendo homebrew scene, though I've been in the Sony homebrew scene for years.
April 03, 2009 09:14PM
i would rather have a NDS section of the HBB and let it stream to the cart
April 04, 2009 10:51AM
Bomber
Just an idea here; have a homebrew app that connects through the router to a server on your computer, then have the same thing with the DS. Have the server link both the DS and the Wii, and there you go.

Don't know if this will work, new to the Nintendo homebrew scene, though I've been in the Sony homebrew scene for years.
I don't get it.
So I have to connect my DS to a wireless router, to my server, to my computer? :-S
Isn't it easier to let it scream to the Wii and than record it on a DVD+RW?
April 04, 2009 12:39PM
UltimatePisman
Isn't it easier to let it scream to the Wii and than record it on a DVD+RW?

The DS won't be able to stream normal DS-gameplay anywhere.
April 04, 2009 09:04PM
obviously ds liking is possible, with the nintendo channel and such, but the question is how the hell are they getting it to connect? I mean what on the wii is required to run to connect to the ds?
April 05, 2009 08:32PM
It must be possible.
It was on SNES, N64 and GCN.
Why will the Wii don't?

BTW, I am no programmer, but I would likely want to support this idea.
April 05, 2009 09:18PM
I would think this would be in the realm of possibility if the DS had Bluetooth, but it doesn't. I can't see it working very well over wifi.

And you say you're not asking about emulators, but that's the only way I can imagine it working. There's nothing built-into the Wii that lets it play DS games. I'm no programmer either, but I would not get your hopes up on this.
April 05, 2009 09:27PM
UltimatePisman
It must be possible.
It was on SNES, N64 and GCN.
Why will the Wii don't?

Because neither Nintendo, nor anybody else releases the right hardware.
The Super Gameboy and the GameboyPlayer are no emulators. They are the full hardware, minus display and input.

Software emulation of the DS on the Wii is doable, but in early development. And I have no idea, if it can reach realtime-performance.
April 06, 2009 12:42PM
jarvolt
And you say you're not asking about emulators, but that's the only way I can imagine it working. There's nothing built-into the Wii that lets it play DS games. I'm no programmer either, but I would not get your hopes up on this.

Hm... I don't know how powerful the wireless connection between the wii and the DS is, but if it is powerful enough video and sound could be streamed from the DS directly to the wii.
If this is possible no emulator would be required.
April 06, 2009 01:38PM
profetylen
Hm... I don't know how powerful the wireless connection between the wii and the DS is, but if it is powerful enough video and sound could be streamed from the DS directly to the wii.

The bandwidth between the Wii and the DS is the least of all problems.
You have to make the DS stream it's audio and video, while still running a game. That is impossible without a major performance loss. And even getting the DS to do so is a hard piece of work.
April 06, 2009 04:36PM
OK!

I thought that was easy.

Is the reason for the performance loss because of that it requires a lot of power from the DS to stream?

However, there is a ds-emulator for the wii under development (if the following isn't a fake).

[forum.wiibrew.org]
[www.youtube.com]
April 06, 2009 04:53PM
profetylen
Is the reason for the performance loss because of that it requires a lot of power from the DS to stream?

It is because it requires any power to stream. Games are free to utilize the whole power of the DS. There are no additional resources left.

Unlike Windows for example, the software architecture on the DS, or the Wii and most consoles is rather monolithic.
Games are used to run alone and have all resources just for them. They are also not used to cooperate
April 07, 2009 04:36PM
profetylen
jarvolt

Do you guys know Pokémon Battle Revolution for Wii?
With that game, you can link your DS Pokémon RPG's to the game, and it works.
Like this battle.
Or this connection.
April 08, 2009 04:42PM
UltimatePisman
Do you guys know Pokémon Battle Revolution for Wii?
With that game, you can link your DS Pokémon RPG's to the game, and it works.
Like this battle.
Or this connection.

That doesn't involve playing the DS on the Wii though? I can't view the video so I'm just making assumptions. (At school).
April 08, 2009 07:36PM
Bomber
I can't view the video so I'm just making assumptions. (At school).

Your assumptions are correct. It is communication between 1 DS and 1 Wii game.
April 08, 2009 11:34PM
daniel_c_w
Bomber
I can't view the video so I'm just making assumptions. (At school).

Your assumptions are correct. It is communication between 1 DS and 1 Wii game.

Hmmm... so we know that the DS can communicate with the Wii, but we don't know what we can do with it. I think it may only allow the Wii to connect to the DS, and the DS has no 'say' over what happens.
April 13, 2009 09:33PM
Maybe the code or whatever is specifically embedded in titles. Meaning that to activate the DS to Wii connectivity, the software your connecting with must have the "command" in it. What I'm saying is, maybe the Wii itself doesn't have the linking capability in it by itself, but the software does. This would mean, however, that the connectivity feature, unless the possibility to copy it comes along, is only in the Nintendo official SDK. BTW: I'm just taking a shot in the dark here. :)-
April 16, 2009 06:59PM
Is there a way to disassemble the "Nintendo Channel" that can send demo games to the DS?
May be a good place to start....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login