Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

-- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic --

Posted by Arikado 
Re: -- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic -- DO NOT UPDATE RIGHT NOW!!!
October 18, 2009 06:26PM
just out of interest, if/when 4.3 comes out would updating jump 4.2 and possibly skip out the boot2 update
October 18, 2009 06:38PM
No, it updates all the latest versions of titles, so it's update Boot2.
October 18, 2009 07:00PM
Unless they remove the boot2 update from their servers, it'll update it.
October 25, 2009 10:27PM
JODI is the first name of the guy who runs the anti-piracy thing at ninty.
October 26, 2009 06:04PM
I have wii system 4.2 and I have homebrew. What's the big deal?
October 26, 2009 06:20PM
Nothing. To begin with, 4.2 deleted HBC, but now the title ID of HBC has been changed, so it no longer deletes it. There are a few other things about 4.2, such as it includes a boot2 update, which overwrites BootMii/boot2 (but BootMii can be reinstalled afterwards) and is very slightly risky (the risk has been blown WAY out of porption, I believe), and also it "stubs" several IOS locations commonly used for cIOS (patched IOS used for piracy). BTW, stubbing means they fill the slot with an empty IOS, overwriting anything there currently, and theoretically preventing the IOS slot being used again for cIOS, but its easy to get rid of the stub, and they missed a few common locations. Also, the most common cIOS installs a "backup" cIOS to another IOS, with the highest version number possible, so it cant be overwritten by a stub.

So basically, they did three things with this update:
1. Delete HBC and DVDx on startup every time new System Menu is run - Fixed by changing title IDs
2. Updated boot2 - BootMii can be reinstalled without issue, and also, there are "updaters" which leave this out (but are dangerous)
3. Stubbed some cIOS locations - Stubs can be deleted, and cIOS reinstalled, and some cIOS were left anyway. Also the "updaters" leave out these IOS stubs.

Also, where I say "updaters", you could manually update leaving out the boot2 update and IOS stubs, by using NUSD to download WADs and install them, or else use dop-IOS MOD to install the bits you want.
October 31, 2009 11:24AM
Since I didn't play my Wii(version 1.0) for long time, I updated to 4.2J today.
And I download abd6a_v200.zip from :
[bannerbomb.qoid.us]
and download HackMii Installer v0.6
from
[bootmii.org]
Then I unzip those file to SD card
But after the loading "If you paid, you were scammed", my wii hanged.
I wait over 10 minutes but my wii still no response.
Is there any one can help ? Thanks.
October 31, 2009 12:39PM
Did you try another bannerbomb zip? I'm not sure if it'll help when you got that far, but its possible. Also, download LoadMii, put its .dol on the root and rename it boot.dol, then rename boot.elf from the HackMii Installer to installer.elf. Then run bannerbomb again, and LoadMii will run. It is a homebrew loader. Load installer.elf through this, I have heard of this fixing this issue before.
October 31, 2009 01:14PM
Thanks for your reply. Already tried to use LoadMii. And I load installer.elf through this.
But my wii still hang after that. My Wii seems blocked on running HackMii Installer.

SifJar
Did you try another bannerbomb zip? I'm not sure if it'll help when you got that far, but its possible. Also, download LoadMii, put its .dol on the root and rename it boot.dol, then rename boot.elf from the HackMii Installer to installer.elf. Then run bannerbomb again, and LoadMii will run. It is a homebrew loader. Load installer.elf through this, I have heard of this fixing this issue before.
October 31, 2009 01:21PM
Strange....I dunno what to advise you to do next...Wait for someone more knowledgable.
October 31, 2009 03:19PM
Try using a gamecube controller with the hackmii installer.
November 01, 2009 07:14AM
What's the purpose of using gamecube controller ?
Re: -- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic --
November 01, 2009 01:41PM
To get past the screen where it hangs. (I think you press A or Start on the GC controller to get past the screen)
November 14, 2009 04:56PM
Listen. After not so much research, i got priiloader, bootmii boot2, HBC, DVDx, gecko OS, and all that other good homebrew stuff. 4.2 is not anything to be frustated about. If you want the cIOS though for 4.2, TOO BAD! I also used AnyRegion changer to downgrade, but i upgraded back because 3.2 is a horrible menu with no sd menu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2009 05:45PM by Marth21.
November 14, 2009 07:44PM
Its actually not hard to get cIOS on 4.2, but thats not something to be discussed on these forums.
November 15, 2009 12:25AM
SifJar
Its actually not hard to get cIOS on 4.2, but thats not something to be discussed on these forums.
I concur.
November 15, 2009 12:46AM
Well here's the thing...

I have System Menu 4.0U with Homebrew channel 1.0.3, bootmii as boot2 and DVDx. Everything else is unmodified(If it helps I have IOS61 v19.62 according to the HC). So the deal is I want to update to 4.2 but I saw that the update is bricking wiis, even unmodified ones, and updates boot2. Does the boot2 update removes my chance of installing bootmii as boot2 again?

I want to update but I'm afraid it may brick the wii. So how should I proceed?
November 15, 2009 01:51AM
NubSlayer
I have System Menu 4.0U with Homebrew channel 1.0.3, bootmii as boot2 and DVDx. Everything else is unmodified(If it helps I have IOS61 v19.62 according to the HC). So the deal is I want to update to 4.2 but I saw that the update is bricking wiis, even unmodified ones, and updates boot2. Does the boot2 update removes my chance of installing bootmii as boot2 again?
What you should do (if you want to update; which really is not necessary) is update the Homebrew Channel and DVDx, then update. The update should be safe as long as there's no power failure or internet connection issues. After you update, BootMii as boot2 will be removed, but you can run the HackMii Installer to re-install it. (The update does not remove the ability to install BootMii, it just overwrites it with a higher version of boot2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2009 01:52AM by bg4545.
November 15, 2009 11:23PM
I was just as fearful updating channels and IOS using updaters as I was about updating to 4.2.
But I took the plunge and updated to 4.2U via Nintendo.
I had updated HBC prior and it was still there afterward.

All is right with the world.
November 16, 2009 12:36AM
Same here. I imagine this was for the new Super Mario Bros. game. I can imagine what kind of system update will be in effect when Super Mario Galaxy 2 eventually comes out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login