Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

-- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic --

Posted by Arikado 
Re: -- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic -- DO NOT UPDATE RIGHT NOW!!!
October 01, 2009 09:31AM
nintendude
1) What are Indiana Pwns and SmashStack?
2) What can I do (if anything) to keep my beloved HBC on my 4.1U Wii and then update to 4.2?

1) -> Indiana Pwns and SmashStack are exploits which require a game. Just like the Twilight Hack required Zelda, those two need LEGO Indiana Jones and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

2) -> First off: Don't update to 4.2. It's not worth it.
Read here why:
[hackmii.com]
[hackmii.com]

I'll answer your question anyway:
You could use the new hackmii installer v0.5 to update the Homebrew Channel and DVDx to their newest versions. They would still be there then, after an update to 4.2.
There is no way to keep BootMii though - you would have to re-install that after the update.
And of course 4.2 brings a whole lot of other nasty surprises.
October 01, 2009 09:33AM
WaxyPumpkin72
Lol, I don't really get it either. Probably some inside joke. :P

JODI : Jodi Daugherty, Nintendo’s senior director for anti-piracy.
October 01, 2009 01:27PM
SpyroDragon
What is the best way to update only the shop channel, without installing 4.2 right now?
The Wiki says either WiiSCU [wiibrew.org] or the Wii Shop and IOS61 installer [wiibrew.org]

Has anyone tried yet?
WiiSCU worked for me, and at least one other person on the 4.2 talk page. Apparently the Wii Shop & IOS61 installer is working for users that have had no luck with WiiSCU. Not a clue why, as from what I gathered, the applications are effectively two branches of the same tree.

poepoog
WaxyPumpkin72
That is fairly amusing :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2009 01:28PM by PhoenixTank.
October 01, 2009 02:43PM
Question about Wii System updates, are updates cumulative? In other words will every update in the future also include 4.2's anti-homebrew updates?

poepoog
WaxyPumpkin72

Someone should write him a letter and let him know he help homebrew survive :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2009 02:44PM by swirleydude.
October 01, 2009 03:46PM
Is there any indication yet of what is causing the bricked Wii's after updating to 4.2?
Somebody mentioned something about converted Korean region Wii's.

Has anyone here in the forum updated safely to 4.2 while having the homebrew channel and/or BootMii installed?

My guess is this is happening to Wii's that have been modified in some way or another despite what the posts are claiming. If this is the case, this will be the first time I feel a little nervous of having installed the HBC.

For now I'll wait for the next Nintendo update to see what develops.
October 01, 2009 04:07PM
I was able to update safely to 4.2 after also updating Homebrew Channel, but upon learning about Wiis getting bricked even if they were not hacked, I became paranoid and deleted all my Homebrew. I had heard that if your Wii bricks and you don't have Homebrew, they repair it for free, so I just took that precaution in case it DID brick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2009 04:17PM by wolfennights.
October 01, 2009 04:59PM
TheManuel
Is there any indication yet of what is causing the bricked Wii's after updating to 4.2?
Somebody mentioned something about converted Korean region Wii's.

Has anyone here in the forum updated safely to 4.2 while having the homebrew channel and/or BootMii installed?

My guess is this is happening to Wii's that have been modified in some way or another despite what the posts are claiming. If this is the case, this will be the first time I feel a little nervous of having installed the HBC.

For now I'll wait for the next Nintendo update to see what develops.

The doesn't-boot brick is caused by the buggy boot2 code. It affects ALL WIIS, even non-homebrew'd.

The region-brick is purposeful and there doesn't seem to be a fix around it, just don't update if you are using an Korean Wii that has been updated to English.
October 01, 2009 06:52PM
wolfennights
I was able to update safely to 4.2 after also updating Homebrew Channel, but upon learning about Wiis getting bricked even if they were not hacked, I became paranoid and deleted all my Homebrew. I had heard that if your Wii bricks and you don't have Homebrew, they repair it for free, so I just took that precaution in case it DID brick.

But why bother deleting everything if you already updated?

Matoking
The doesn't-boot brick is caused by the buggy boot2 code. It affects ALL WIIS, even non-homebrew'd.The region-brick is purposeful and there doesn't seem to be a fix around it, just don't update if you are using an Korean Wii that has been updated to English.]

I don't have a Korean Wii so that part doesn't worry me.
I heard about the buggy boot2 code but I don't think there is evidence yet that non-homebrewe'd Wii's are getting bricked except for a few claims in the Nintendo forum. Maybe this is something Team Twizzers is looking at.
It concerns me because I want to keep up to date and be able to access the Wii Shop Channel otherwise I won't be able to buy WiiWare games. I've also don't want to IOS updaters or anything like that.

I'll stand by and see what happens in the next few days or so before updating.
My hope is Nintendo gets some virgin bricked Wii's in for repair, realize they screwed up on their boot2 updater and either fix it or stop doing it.
October 01, 2009 07:01PM
Dude, you do NOT need to update. If you really want 4.2, download a 4.1 System Menu WAD with NUSD and change the System Menu IOS to IOS70 (you can do this in NUSD). Then install it (you'd need trucha), and you'll have what is effectively 4.2, minus the HBC blocking stuff. There is no other difference between the two. I'd advise you dont bother doing this by the way, just pointing out that it'd be practically the same. Just use WiiSCU to update IOS61 and Shop Channel and you'll have access to Shop Channel.
October 01, 2009 07:16PM
swirleydude
Question about Wii System updates, are updates cumulative? In other words will every update in the future also include 4.2's anti-homebrew updates?

Yes. And at some time it may be necessary to update. However right now: Just don't. Wait until the HackMii Developers have examined and analyzed everything.
There may be things that you can't revert after updating to 4.2, without taking precautions before.

Plus, it's just not worth it. This is a pure Anti-Homebrew update. There are no other changes.
If you need the Shop channel, update only that with mentioned options.

TheManuel

Yep. It's Nintendo's extremely dangerous and buggy way of updating boot2, with ES_ImportBoot.

HackMii
Their boot2-updating code (ES_ImportBoot) is not well-tested; they’ve never updated boot2 on retail consoles before, and in our testing we discovered that it often fails to write out ECC data for the new version of boot2 that it writes. We should expect to see some number of bricked Wiis from this; the code is so buggy that we decided to write our own for the HackMii installer.

Read here:
[hackmii.com]
[hackmii.com]

Basically you are lucky when you updated to 4.2 and your Wii survived.

TheManuel
My guess is this is happening to Wii's that have been modified in some way or another despite what the posts are claiming.

No. See above.

TheManuel
I feel a little nervous of having installed the HBC.

Nintendo's incompetence is the problem, not the Homebrew Channel. You can safely have it installed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2009 07:28PM by SpyroDragon.
October 01, 2009 07:20PM
SpyroDragon
TheManuel
I feel a little nervous of having installed the HBC.

Nintendo's incompetence is the problem, not the Homebrew Channel. You can safely have it installed.

I don't he is afraid of HBC bricking his Wii. He, like I, is worried that if we update and HBC and everything else is still installed that we won't be able to get Ninty to repair our Wii's for free.

Edit: That is if the update bricks the Wii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2009 07:21PM by swirleydude.
October 01, 2009 07:25PM
Ah yes, thats true.

Another reason not to update right now. :)
October 01, 2009 07:30PM
Someone needs to write a one-click homebrew purge app, well other then Ninty, so if we decide to risk the update Ninty will still fix our console for free.
October 01, 2009 07:47PM
swirleydude
Someone needs to write a one-click homebrew purge app, well other then Ninty, so if we decide to risk the update Ninty will still fix our console for free.

There is no reason to update, so there is no reason to have this app, so there is no reason for anyone to bother. Anyway, pretty much all homebrew (and warez crap) can be removed with AnyTitle Deleter and HackMii Installer. Use HackMii Installer to uninstall HBC, DVDx and BootMii. Then the next thing is patched IOS, which can be overwritten by regular IOS WADs, using WAD Manager running on cIOS. Next, install System Menu WAD (again, do this with WAD Manager running on cIOS) to remove preloader if you had it installed, or any other System Menu patches (StartPatch, StarFall etc.). Then use AnyTitle Deleter to delete any other titles (cIOS, custom channels etc.).

Then your wii is a "virgin" wii, but still there is no need to update. Just dont bother.
October 01, 2009 07:56PM
TheManuel
But why bother deleting everything if you already updated?
Cus if it did brick, I didn't wanna hafta pay 80 bucks to fix it.

Although if it were to brick, it would have done so after I turned it off then back on from updating. Too bad I already uninstalled HBC and don't have Brawl or Indiana Jones.
Swirly
I don't he is afraid of HBC bricking his Wii. He, like I, is worried that if we update and HBC and everything else is still installed that we won't be able to get Ninty to repair our Wii's for free.
Exactly my situation as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2009 08:00PM by wolfennights.
October 01, 2009 08:11PM
I'm not afraid of Nintendo not fixing my Wii for free if I have Homebrew.
I'm afraid of my Wii bricking in the first place, period.
I made that comment under the assumption that the people that are getting their Wii's bricked had that happen because they had some sort of mod.
Again, I'm not convinced there is evidence about virgin Wii's getting bricked.

However, like someone else said, let's let TT work on it for a while and see what they find...
October 01, 2009 08:28PM
Wiis will brick regardless of "mods" i.e homebrew. Its the buggy boot2 update code that causes bricks, nothing else. There are people with unmodified wiis that have bricked, and there are people with HBC and stuff that havent bricked. Nintendo did not design the update to brick people with homebrew, that would be ILLEGAL. They designed it to remove homebrew, but not to brick anyone. Its more due to their incompetence that anything else that people's wiis are being bricked. Team Twiizers managed to write safe boot2 update code (i.e BootMii Installation code used in HackMii Installer), but Nintendo didnt. Their's is crap and buggy.

I guess they never really intended to use it, so didnt bother debugging it too much. They'll probably release another update soon, this one without a boot2 update, but containing upgraded boot2 updation code. Then shortly after that, there will be another update with updated boot2, which will be installed using the updated boot2 updation code. However, it wont be much help for people who dont install the update with the updated boot2 updation code. Still, thats just a guess from me, although it seems the logical course of action.
October 01, 2009 08:51PM
So basically, there's no real reason to update to 4.2 right now? There's no actual improvements that 4.2 brings to Wii as Nintendo claims (even though it sounds like the new update makes things worse rather than better)? Especially if there's a chance that my Wii will brick, which I don't want, then I'll probably wait. I won't be needing the Wii shop channel in the near future (at least for now) and I don't think that there are any games that require a 4.2 update, right?

Also, side question: since I do own SSBB, what is the SSBB exploit (a.k.a. SmashStack)?
October 01, 2009 08:58PM
it is called smashstack. only for USA copies of brawl.
October 01, 2009 09:12PM
SifJar
Wiis will brick regardless of "mods" i.e homebrew. Its the buggy boot2 update code that causes bricks, nothing else. There are people with unmodified wiis that have bricked, and there are people with HBC and stuff that havent bricked. Nintendo did not design the update to brick people with homebrew, that would be ILLEGAL. They designed it to remove homebrew, but not to brick anyone. Its more due to their incompetence that anything else that people's wiis are being bricked. Team Twiizers managed to write safe boot2 update code (i.e BootMii Installation code used in HackMii Installer), but Nintendo didnt. Their's is crap and buggy.

I guess they never really intended to use it, so didnt bother debugging it too much. They'll probably release another update soon, this one without a boot2 update, but containing upgraded boot2 updation code. Then shortly after that, there will be another update with updated boot2, which will be installed using the updated boot2 updation code. However, it wont be much help for people who dont install the update with the updated boot2 updation code. Still, thats just a guess from me, although it seems the logical course of action.

Exactly! Nintendo may try find a safer way to overwrite boot2 in future updates, once they realize how much Wii's they bricked with ES_ImportBoot. Yet another reason to wait and not update to 4.2.

nintendude
So basically, there's no real reason to update to 4.2 right now? There's no actual improvements that 4.2 brings to Wii as Nintendo claims (even though it sounds like the new update makes things worse rather than better)? Especially if there's a chance that my Wii will brick, which I don't want, then I'll probably wait. I won't be needing the Wii shop channel in the near future (at least for now) and I don't think that there are any games that require a 4.2 update, right?

Also, side question: since I do own SSBB, what is the SSBB exploit (a.k.a. SmashStack)?

Yes. Right now there is no sane reason to risk updating to 4.2.
It's a pure Anti-Homebrew update that doesn't bring any improvements or new features and may brick your Wii.
Wait for the next update. Nintendo will hopefully find a less dangerous way to do things in 4.3.

There are no games that require 4.2 yet. If you'd like to use the Shop channel, theres a safe option to update only that channel by using WiiSCU [wiibrew.org] or the Wii Shop and IOS61 installer [wiibrew.org] .

About Smash Stack, here's the Wiki page: [wiibrew.org]
It's an exploit that allows to run/install homebrew.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login